What bomber was the most powerful in the WC universe

Myself I think the DEVASTATOR

I cant remember much from WC3 or WC4....

whats your thoughts and ideas on the most powerful bomber in WC?

It's hard to say, because of the odd jump of continuity between WC2-WC3 (armor values...)

from the WC3-WCP era, hell yeah, the Flying Plasma Cannon all the way. :D

From the old era... hmm, a tie between the Crossbow (big pods, insane armor) and the Morningstar (a single NUCLEAR WARHEAD! *evil grin*)

Personal favourite: Broadsword, but of the games I've played, Crossbow and Avenger most powerful ones...

Didn't play Prophecy yet...

I'm not really into WC3-4-P, so I'll sum up my views of the WC1-2 era in three words:

Broadsword, Broadsword, Broadsword.

I don't think I ever failed a mission I've flown inside one of those babies. They're my second favorite WC ship ever, second only to the Raptor.... If I ever get the chance to turn the ideas I have for WC mods into reality (after Standoff), I'm gonna make a mod with more Broadswords than UE has Scimitars :D

--Eder

Originally posted by Eder
I'm not really into WC3-4-P, so I'll sum up my views of the WC1-2 era in three words:
--Eder

As for WC3-4 era:
Longbow, Longbow, Longbow!....
...although, come to think of it, it was also the ONLY bomber you really got to fly in those 2 games... I thought, considering it's a bomber, it actually looked pretty cool, too:)

Humm probobly doesn't count but my fav bomber was always the banshee ;) . Load it with dumbfires and you've got one hell of a fast bomber :D .

Most of the bombers are pretty sweet.
Broadsword, Crossbow, Longbow, Devastator - all have awesome forward firepower, which I love.

The Shrike, however, gets my vote as worst bomber. It was the only Prophecy ship in which I was actually concerned that the bugs outnumbered us 10 to one. The only 'useful' weapons were the charging mass drivers, which while sweet when attached to something fast like a Tigershark, aren't as effective with a slow cow like the Shrike. Give me the Devastators Plasma Cannon any day.

p.s. on a not entirely unrelated topic, who else would like to see a strike fighter built around the Plasma Cannon - no Torpedos, no other real weaponry, just a BFG and the speed to deliver pain fast.

A big Amen to AzraeL...
How many time have you been flying a devestator in WCP and destroyed a capships engines with the plasma cannon before even locking on the first torpedo.

I always ended up using the torpedo as the method of dispatch for the poor craft;).

Plus the number of fighters you could take down with that baby. I always just line up a couple of crippling hits insteads of pounding away with a single gun so the plasma cannon (and the charging mass on the tigarshark) suits me down to the ground.

The sheer satisfaction of having a manta coming towards you and destroyed in only two shots is a truly wonderful feeling.

Originally posted by Preacher

As for WC3-4 era:
Longbow, Longbow, Longbow!....
...although, come to think of it, it was also the ONLY bomber you really got to fly in those 2 games... I thought, considering it's a bomber, it actually looked pretty cool, too:)

Untrue in WC4 you can fly the Avenger. For me it would be the dragon which is fast, manuverable, good missile payload, good guns, Fission cannons, cloaking device and 2 flashpacks (if you could have any armament)

Originally posted by Napoleon

Untrue in WC4 you can fly the Avenger. For me it would be the dragon which is fast, manuverable, good missile payload, good guns, Fission cannons, cloaking device and 2 flashpacks (if you could have any armament)

Sorry--I stand corrected.
:eek:

However, I stand to correct you, as well: The official WC4 guide lists the Dragon as a Heavy Fighter. Apparently, a coupla flash-paks do not a bomber make.... (nevertheless, I agree that it is definitely the most tasty fighter in the game to fly, no doubt.)

Originally posted by jammyo2k

The sheer satisfaction of having a manta coming towards you and destroyed in only two shots is a truly wonderful feeling.
Hehe, it takes you two...:)

I've played evey Wing Commander game except Special Operations(not Secret Operations, SPecial Operations, the addon to WC2) and I can say may favorite bomber would have to be the Broadsword.

I remember the morningstar... not a bomber per se but... flying around with a tactical nuke strapped to its belly made me feel all-powerful :)

The Morningstar was basically a replacement for the Sabre, well, slightly toned down. Few less missiles, no turret.

Wild, how can you like the Broadsword more than the Crossbow?
Danm, the Broadsword wasn't even maneouverable!

The Morningstar great characteristic though, was of course the Mace missile... :cool:

And as for Broadswords and maneouvrability, you can easily dogfight Sarthas in one of those beauties...
You won't get to hit them much with your Mass-Drivers, but at the same time your turret Neutron Guns will be ripping them apart...

Broadswords are so cool! :D

The Devastator had a gun with the power or a torpedo. Go figure.

The Shrike wasn't bad.
Broadsword certainly had the firepower, yet Crossbow was a better light bomber.
The trouble with the way turrets were implemented in WC was well, you could only see one at a time. Realistically, you would have a gunner for each turret, so they would all be active all the time.

Back