WC Workshop Online

Just coming back from over there, do you think multi-language support for all the texts would be worthwhile?

So the UI would not only have one input-field for one text, but multiple.
That would allow you to handle localization inside a single project.
Otherwise, a separate project would have to be created for every language...

Last edited by a moderator:
Just coming back from over there, do you think multi-language support for all the texts would be worthwhile?

Definitely! I can imagine the WC Workshop handling localization issues and generate WC1/2 assets for one specific language at a time. I like it :)

Concerning EXE hacking:
I have identified some hard-to-miss points inside the EXEs myself already. Like names of pilots, etc.
I plan to generate modified EXE files as well (allows for changing names of pilot for campaigns in different settings than just the Tiger's Claw).
Modifying ship's data also requires exe modification, if I got that right. So there's no way around that anyway.

If I can relieve you from some tedious tasks, I'd really love to.
So if anything in the EXE can be modified by just modifying the right bytes at the right offset, please let me know. It just requires me to adjust some mapping files.
Except, of course, you get a kick out of creating a new wc4-dvd patch revision with the left hand while importing some star citizen constellation class craft into wc1 with the right hand at the same time.
At least to me it seems as if that's exactly what you where doing constantly :)

Hehe i really tend to overcommit don't I :p I'm really passionate about all things WC, so i tend to explore lots of venues simultaneously, in some cases to a fault since I end up not being able to cover all the projects I start, dispite my best intentions. Of course, at the end of the day that's not the most wise course of action... So yeah i could definitely use some help at a few tasks, if you want to coordinate efforts I definitely welcome it :)

Here's something you may want to pick up, i'd be glad to pass it to you if you're interested:

As you know, there are a number of advantages in using the SM2 EXE over WC.EXE, even for the main campaign and SM1. The most significant of these is probably the frame limiter, which doesn't cover all the sequences, but it *is* there, so adding support for the limiter in the sequences where it's lacking (ex. talking heads and autopilot) should be a matter of hooking a call to the limiter in the appropriate places. Should be a bit tedious, but not too challenging.

But *before* that: the SM2 EXE needs to be configured to run either the WC1, SM1 or SM2 campaigns. In short, turn SM2.EXE into a "universal", more polished, WC1 EXE. I had the following tasks on my list so far:

- Configure the default campaign number to launch. This is hardcoded to 2 in the SM2 EXE, but is in fact quite simple to change: just search for byte pattern
b8 02 00 50 9a 48
and change the 02 to 00 or 01. That's it! The appropriate campaign should launch when you click the start campaign button.

- Change the SM2 stats to match WC1 stats. The SM2 Dralthi, for example, has alternate stats, being armed with Mass Drivers and missiles instead of the original WC1 loadout. Other differences may exist, i'm not sure. In order to have the SM2 EXE to present the same stats as the WC1 EXE, we should overlay the stats from the WC1 EXE on the SM2 EXE. I remember back in the day I had a hex-editor that allowed me to simply dump to a file the entire ship stats block from the WC1 EXE and paste it on the SM2 stats block (the process was manual).

I can imagine this could fit very well in the WC Workship as part of a more specific stats-editing functionality, or simply a black-box approach (cut X bytes from the WC1 EXE, and paste them on the SM2 EXE at offset Y, that seems to work).

In any case, i can dig the necessary info for you on this, if you want.

- Other modifications: possibly editing the references to Doomsday and Jazz back into the original WC pilots for campaigns 0 or 1, and similar modifications to Drakhai / Ace pilots. Also, confirm the mid-game cutscenes play properly when playing WC1 or SM1 via the SM2 EXE. I haven't broken this point down to sub-tasks yet, but we can discuss it in more detail later.

Anyway, that was the approach i had in mind. Comments welcome!

Configure the default campaign number to launch. This is hardcoded to 2 in the SM2 EXE, but is in fact quite simple to change: just search for byte pattern
b8 02 00 50 9a 48
and change the 02 to 00 or 01. That's it! The appropriate campaign should launch when you click the start campaign button.

Great, I was already about to ask if you have that information.
The exe should then also be able to load BRIEFING.793, CAMP.793 and MODULE.793 if we change the bytes accordingly, I guess? I'll try that later today.
That would be helpful with eg creating the Thor's Hammer campaign from SWC.
No need to distribute it as a whole game, but just the according resource files and the new .exe. Unchanged resource files (like images, etc) could be used from the original installation.

In any case, i can dig the necessary info for you on this, if you want.
If you find the time, I'd be glad to have that information.
However, don't stress yourself out on this. A few days sooner or later should not make a big difference at the current project state.

Also, confirm the mid-game cutscenes play properly when playing WC1 or SM1 via the SM2 EXE.
I was unable to find the triggers for the mid-game cutscenes so far. Are they also directly in the .exe file?

Thanks!

Creating the Thor's hammer from SWC would be cool. Did SWC have branching conversions? If so can someone rip the text out so that I can flow chart that script? I'm sure that will help when that project begins.

Interesting. That's my style but I never wrote that. I never knew anyone else was flow-charting the scripts as well.
I'm curious who made it and what the source files were that they used? I'd like to look at them.

Is Privateer going to be worked on like this? It would be totally badass if we could add new missions/character animations to Privateer. Would open up entirely new campaigns and stories.

Is Privateer going to be worked on like this?

I always force myself to not envision too much.
But the plan goes like this:
  1. WC1
  2. WC2
  3. Academy
  4. Privateer

WC1 will require the most effort. Everything has got to be set up and found out first for this.
UI, reading and writing of resource files, getting to know the inside of the game engine, ...

I presume that WC2 will be ready much faster, as I think it's really not much of a difference.

If someone asks himself why Academy is on the list: that's just because it makes an ideal testbed.
A testbed for new ships graphics (see the Hellcat thread of HCl), maybe stats and of course for quickly trying some missions.

Privateer is definitely on the list because maybe that was even my most favorite game in the WC universe.
But, I can absolutely not estimate, how long it will take to have WC2 editing incorporated.
And once it's done, it's perfectly possible that the roadmap will change.

I have gone through and "phoneticised" Enyo system. I'm NOT going to be able to spell anything when I'm done with this. LOL
There are some punctuation notes. Using your program as reference, if there is punctuation at the end of the cell it is ignored. If there is punctuation anywhere else in the cell it is treated one of three ways, and they are not consistent. It is either an number #, "p" and a number # or a number "p"number. The number values change, they are not consistent. I'm sure they represent a pause state of an amount of time put why there are three ways of doing it I can't figure out.

Not all the words on the list have a phonetic relation because someone changed the text but not the phonetic. I was leaving them blank until I ran across them again but if I never did I would make something up for them.

There are times when the same words had different phonetic spellings. I kept the one that seemed the best.

In regards to different languages that would be nice but you'd have to integrate new fonts as well. That might be more difficult.

Attachments

• WCPhonitics.txt
    6.3 KB · Views: 104
tatsasamshadstanks

:)

but you'd have to integrate new fonts as well
Yes, that's true. To cater everybody, we'll have to do that.
There's that FONTS.FNT file in the gamedat directory.
If it is as easy as having a single bitmap inside that file for every letter, it should be no problem.

There's that font detector ginger_tigra mentioned in the wc4-russian-translation thread.
Maybe someone wants to check, if that works for WC1 as well?

I guess, different alphabets also have a different number of letters. I hope working with more than 26 letters is possible at all...

When you can let me know how that works for you delMar. If you need a different format or something let me know. I'll try to start working on the next system tomorrow.

I'll say nothing more than it involves Colonel Halcyon... singing.
That's too funny! LOL

I hadn't mentioned. nice update to the save game generator.
What does Inactive and Active status mean?

Also the readme for the savegame editor talks about toggling ribbons as well.

I hadn't mentioned. nice update to the save game generator.
Thanks

Inactive savegames show up as empty beds in the barracks and thus can not be loaded.

Also the readme for the savegame editor talks about toggling ribbons as well.
Yes, I noticed that as well.
Unfortunately WCSAV only shows the ribbons as read-only information, so I'll have to fly some missions to be able to find out the according offsets.

Currently I'm working on "administrative" stuff (sign up, log in, forms for creating projects, etc).
But I'll get a new joystick for christmas, I guess that'll prove to be the perfect opportunity to fly some missions and read some offsets :)

Inactive savegames show up as empty beds in the barracks and thus can not be loaded.

Ah! That Makes sense now. Thanks.

I knew you'd get around too it. I just wanted to mention it just in case. ;)

Just a quick comment:

Great, I was already about to ask if you have that information.
The exe should then also be able to load BRIEFING.793, CAMP.793 and MODULE.793 if we change the bytes accordingly, I guess?

Unfortunately no :/ For the most part, the EXE works as follows in several places:

if campNr == 0 then use "module.000"
else if campNr == 1 then use "module.001"
else if campNr == 2 then use "module.002"
else undefined (probably crash)

Which is a bit of a let down, it would have been simple to add a sprintf in there.

Since the campaign number is propagated to a couple addresses in the EXE memory space, and is referenced from several places, I suggest we do the following to keep original behavior as much as possible:

- For campaign numbers 0..2, we edit the "02" in that byte sequence, and leave everything else be. The game will reference the necessary resources based on this (and probably switch to campaign specific behavior)

- If a custom campaign, we keep campaign number = 2 and edit the various .002 extensions (ie, we assume SM2 behavior, for whatever cases the game references the campaign number to make a decision on that regard, and simply point to different resource files).

I was unable to find the triggers for the mid-game cutscenes so far. Are they also directly in the .exe file?

I believe so. I should be able to get you some info on this soon (this weekend, if not before)

If the Campaigns are in the EXE and we try to make a WC1 and Sm1 mod to run in the SM2 exe can a selection screen be edited in for all three?

Back