WC too glossy like Star Trek?

I agree with Ghost... pretending a person never existed just because he died in battle is:
  1. A lack of respect for the individual, as Ghost pointed out.
  2. Also bad because it's like pretending the individual in question died for nothing, pretending he didn't fight bravely in battle and contribute to the war effort.
  3. Really not the way to remember a companion and friend that fought at your side.
    [/list=1]

AHH! You people are hurting my brain! You can't complain about how Angel treated the dead when THE MOVIE ALREADY DID SO!

Originally posted by Ghost
No, I´m not saying that the movie was crap, only the treatment of the death.
The movie doesn't treat death any special way. The movie illustrates a peculiarity in how pilots aboard the Tiger Claw handle the death of their shipmates.

It speaks to their disposition, it has nothing to do with how the movie is intended to portray wartime deaths.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
AHH! You people are hurting my brain! You can't complain about how Angel treated the dead when THE MOVIE ALREADY DID SO!
Firstly, I never said anything about the movie, but sorry for "hurting your brain". I simply stated I agreed with Ghost on the concept that pretending a person didn't exist because he died in battle is bad.
And yes, I do realize that thanks to Blair, Angel's and the others' original attitude changes, but the whole friggin' BAD point is that they think this way in the first place, that they don't realise how wrong it is by themselves (until Blair comes by).

They were all convinced that they were going to die. People often don't think clearly when they've got something like that hanging over their heads.

Originally posted by mpanty

And yes, I do realize that thanks to Blair, Angel's and the others' original attitude changes, but the whole friggin' BAD point is that they think this way in the first place, that they don't realise how wrong it is by themselves (until Blair comes by).

But the movie *explains* all this. You can't sit around acting intellectual acting like the blatantly obvious moral lesson of the movie is some exciting proof you've determined.

Yeah I know... we weren't part of the action so we can't really feel the same way they would have felt. :(
But as much we are sitting confortably in our chairs, it doesn't mean we can't put forth reasons on why their reasoning is bad, ...

Yeah I know... we weren't part of the action so we can't really feel the same way they would have felt. :(
But as much we are sitting confortably in our chairs, it doesn't mean we can't put forth reasons on why their reasoning is bad, ...
Why in the world would you do that when the movie does it already, and then claim that the device which the movie uses to illustrate the morals you so proudly tout is one of the movie's downfalls? It makes no sense.

Originally posted by Frosty
Why in the world would you do that when the movie does it already...
So what you're saying is that we can't discuss a moral that "is already discussed in the movie", just to avoid repetition because we've both seen it? We're just talking here, if the movie says what I'm saying fine. I'm just debating on the matter here.

...and then claim that the device which the movie uses to illustrate the morals you so proudly tout is one of the movie's downfalls? It makes no sense.
I really don't see how the morals I put forth (really no need to add "proudly" :rolleyes: ) are a "downfall"... the bad part is Angel's way of thinking, and Blair's intervention puts her and the others on the right track. That's more like a positive improvement...

I really don't see how the morals I put forth (really no need to add "proudly" :rolleyes: ) are a "downfall"... the bad part is Angel's way of thinking, and Blair's intervention puts her and the others on the right track. That's more like a positive improvement...

Thank you for proving Frosty's point. The interation between Blair and the other crew members, as well as Angel's thoughts on this subject ARE the plot devices. If they were bad, they were bad for a reason.

Originally posted by Frosty

Why in the world would you do that when the movie does it already, and then claim that the device which the movie uses to illustrate the morals you so proudly tout is one of the movie's downfalls? It makes no sense.

More sense than arguing over why The Plan was bad, even though WC4 makes it blatently obvious why?

Originally posted by Bob McDob

More sense than arguing over why The Plan was bad, even though WC4 makes it blatently obvious why?

The difference is that there's no fringe group going "Hey! The way they treat death in the Wing Commander movie is great! I sure love that!". mpanty and company are screaming at a blank wall.

Hey! The way they treat death in the Wing Commander movie is great! I sure love that!

Does one person constitute a fringe group? :D

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF

The difference is that there's no fringe group going "Hey! The way they treat death in the Wing Commander movie is great! I sure love that!". mpanty and company are screaming at a blank wall.
Arrrrrrrrrghhh!! At first, I NEVER said anything about the movie, I was just agreeing with Ghost on the concept we've been talking about, on the concept itself, not its role in the movie...

Then you got me to talk about the way Angel and others think, before Blair comes by, and I said that I found BAD Angel could not realize by herself, that her way of thinking was wrong! Then WildWeasel added that the Tiger's Claw pilots thought they were all going to die, and so iwhy they are not objective enough to judge their attitude can be understood, and I agreed with that!!
How the hell does that make me scream at a blank wall??!

I understand what mpanty is saying, i think... he's saying he doesn't agree with the concept of not respecting ones death like the movie portrayed... and LOAF and Frosty are saying that no ones disagreeing with mpanty so mpanty should not talk about it because we all agree... and... okay... now you're all hurting *my* brain!

Back