WC movie & errors

Re: Gonna go straying for a while...

Originally posted by Silent Warrior
About Blade Runner DC: It sucks boner!!! I mean, come on! Deckard's monologues are what made Blade Runner the utterly awesome movie it is, and the damn idiot cut them out! SHEESH! And then Scott proceeded to cutting the end off the thing. FUCKING THANKS for ripping out the ONLY bright/optimistic part of the film, THANK YOU SO MUCH, MORON!

Ok, now unstray.
Brief history-lesson: P. Dick (Phillip K Dick, author and stuff of eg 'Do andriods dream of electric sheep?' and Screamers) thought Deckard was a human, and made the script so it would reflect his ideas. Ridley Scott, on the other hand, thought it would be nice if Deckard was a replicant, so he cut out Deckard's monologues and thus all depth from Blade Runner. There are two sides of a discussion among the BR community about whether Deckard is human or a rep.

I take it you aren't too happy with Ridley Scott. :)

He did a good job on Hannibal and Gladiator, though...

Originally posted by Cadfael
Ohh man i am still waiting for some Adriano Celentano movies on DVD.
This guy is sooooooooooooooooo cool!!!
who's next a yes bud spencer and terence hill yeah and 3'rd
yes Louis de funes!!!

most cool people in cinema history
Adriano Celentano!!!!
Jesus Christ, I never thought I would see that name on the CIC!!!
And Louis de Funès!!! Where are you from, Cadfael? You must be european... Even Bud Spencer and Terence Hill: THEY'RE ITALIAN!!! :cool:

Well Louis de Funès is French, but hey...
I remember watching lots of his movies in France... Hibernatus, Le Gendarme à St-Tropez...
Best one apparently is Oscar or Rabbi Jacob, never had a chance to watch them though...

(sorry if this went off the WC universe... :) )

I can't say I've seen the version with monologues, SW, though I can see how they would have added to the general film-noir concept. But as for the idea of Deckard being a replicant, I thought it was very appropriate for the film. If you think that this removes depth from the movie, then there's something very wrong with you. And the ending was just perfect - you could believe in either possibility. In other words, it made you think - which is what a Sci-fi movie should do. You want a blatantly happy icecream and balloons ending? Fine, go watch an action flick. Also, I don't know what Phil Dick had planned, but as far as I know he had nothing to do with the script.

And yeah, I didn't bother with the German soundtrack on Das Boot :). I wouldn't have understood it, and watching it with subtitles would have detracted from the experience.

Originally posted by Quarto

I think that's what they were aiming for with Independence Day (which was an awful, awful, awful film... dumb, illogical plot, bad acting, and major propaganda overload),

Hey! Independance Day is one of my favorite movies. I don't care if a movie has an intelligent plot that makes me think about my existance. If it's entertaining, I like it. I don't really read into movies for more than they're worth. I never saw ID4 as being a way to be patriotic or whatever, it was an alien invasion movie. That's it.

You want a blatantly happy icecream and balloons ending? Fine, go watch an action flick.

aghh..another post from the Ladiesman...

Actually, I like when a dark, drab Sci-fi movie has a happy ending. Not ALL the time, but it's good every now and then.

I think that's why I like Star Trek so much. It's not like just about EVERY other sci-fi universe out there. The future isn't some terrible place that's a torture to live in. It's a positive look at the future.

Even WC is a terrible terrible place. Locked in war for (geez, how long was it all combined; Pilgrimm, Kilrathi, BW incident Nephilim?)

I actually wish there were more positive views on the future. It seems that we're just doomed no matter what we do.

The DVDs I watch and would have bought, if my father hadn't already done it: Mad Max 2 and 3, looking for part 1
Gladiator, The 13th warrior, Matrix, Blade Runner (Director'sCut)and Wing Commander.
Then some others bought by my father, but they are not my taste. It's a pity, that DVDs are still a bit expensive but I try to fill my ranks with more DVDs. I have to get Starship Troopers on DVD!

Originally posted by mpanty
Originally posted by Cadfael
Ohh man i am still waiting for some Adriano Celentano movies on DVD.
This guy is sooooooooooooooooo cool!!!
who's next a yes bud spencer and terence hill yeah and 3'rd
yes Louis de funes!!!

most cool people in cinema history
Adriano Celentano!!!!
Jesus Christ, I never thought I would see that name on the CIC!!!
And Louis de Funès!!! Where are you from, Cadfael? You must be european... Even Bud Spencer and Terence Hill: THEY'RE ITALIAN!!! :cool:

Well Louis de Funès is French, but hey...
I remember watching lots of his movies in France... Hibernatus, Le Gendarme à St-Tropez...
Best one apparently is Oscar or Rabbi Jacob, never had a chance to watch them though...

(sorry if this went off the WC universe... :) )
Ohh yes i am from England!!
Louis de funes is cool best movie is the one where he has to fight against junkfood. and the one where he meets an alien!!!

As for Adriano Celentano this is cool! Not like Bruce Willis who alwys tries to be cool but never manages it.

Originally posted by Ladiesman^
Hey! Independance Day is one of my favorite movies. I don't care if a movie has an intelligent plot that makes me think about my existance. If it's entertaining, I like it. I don't really read into movies for more than they're worth. I never saw ID4 as being a way to be patriotic or whatever, it was an alien invasion movie. That's it.
ID4? Where does the 4 come from? :)
I'm not saying that a movie has to have a sophisticated plot in order to be good - come on, I like Wing Commander - but it has to have a certain level of intelligence. Independence Day didn't have intelligence - I find it hard to believe that a nation which, in a severe crisis, still only uses one half of the road (in spite of the fact that there ain't nobody going into the city), is capable of defeating an alien race :).

Originally posted by Ladiesman^
aghh..another post from the Ladiesman...
Another reply from Quarto. I was too lazy to cut and paste it all into one post ;).

I think that's why I like Star Trek so much. It's not like just about EVERY other sci-fi universe out there. The future isn't some terrible place that's a torture to live in. It's a positive look at the future.
But that sort of junk is useless - what's the point of creating a positive future scenario? Apart from deluding yourself, you really achieve nothing.

I actually wish there were more positive views on the future. It seems that we're just doomed no matter what we do.
Ah, but those gloom-and-doom scenarios are there to warn us about possible problems, and allow us to avoid them. Perfect example - "Y2K". If everybody had been under the impression that switching to the year 00 won't cause any problems... then there would have been major problems. Because although Y2K was a lot of hype, it also contained a lot of truth. So you see, it's actually watching Star Trek that dooms us :).

Returning to Blade Runner, anybody who watched it when it first came out might have thought, "corporations in control of the world? What utter bullshit!". But look around - it's disturbing how close we've gotten to that vision.

Originally posted by Ghost
Always the movies that are based on books are at least not so good

True, for the most part. The only book I've read where the movie ended up being better is Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk. Still a good book, though.

Originally posted by Silent Warrior
Dralthi5: That is true, at least. Read the book Hannibal though, so I'm not really too keen on seeing the movie. I mean, the actual middle-stuff is all nice and gory, but the ending? OUCH! Didn't really like Gladiator either, but that wasn't because of Scott, so it's alright. And no, I'm not in any way happy with Scott! SACRILEDGE!!!! (sp?)

David Mammet(sp?) and the other writers changed the ending of the movie-version of Hannibal, actually. But if you mean what happens to poor Mr. Krendler, then that's definitely in there. :)

Oh, why didn't you like Gladiator? I love that movie. Not historically accurate, but cool nonetheless.

ID4? Where does the 4 come from?
I'm not saying that a movie has to have a sophisticated plot in order to be good - come on, I like Wing Commander - but it has to have a certain level of intelligence. Independence Day didn't have intelligence - I find it hard to believe that a nation which, in a severe crisis, still only uses one half of the road (in spite of the fact that there ain't nobody going into the city), is capable of defeating an alien race .

Hey, shut up! My country can beat up your country! :D

Oh, and the 4 comes from July 4th. So: Independence Day,4. Hey, I agree that's lame, but I wasn't in charge of 20th Century Fox marketing.

But that sort of junk is useless - what's the point of creating a positive future scenario? Apart from deluding yourself, you really achieve nothing.

Were you always that pessimistic?

[Edited by Dralthi5 on 04-21-2001 at 11:45]

Originally posted by Dralthi5
Originally posted by Ghost
Always the movies that are based on books are at least not so good
True, for the most part. The only book I've read where the movie ended up being better is Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk. Still a good book, though.
Hmm... I haven't read Das Boot, but I simply can't imagine anything being better than that movie :).

Were you always that pessimistic?
No, I'm an optimist. But I firmly believe that anybody who thinks the future will be all happy-icecream-and-balloons needs to pull his/her head out of... err, that place where the sun don't shine ;).

I don't understand why everybody rants about how great or how horrible or how stupid Star Trek's amazing hopefull future is. Do these people *watch* Star Trek? The Federation always seems to be involved in some horrific war or another...

Yeah, the last few seasons of DS9 were dark. The Dominion War was harsh, man (but at leas they had Vic to lighten things up now and then).

Anyone who had read all the Dune books can tell that the movie was poor.
And in the Star Trek Universe they only go to the war from season 3 to 7 of DS9 to up the ratings, but isn´t the true vision of the Great Bird of the Galaxy.

Didn't Star Trek start off with the Federation at war with the Klingons and Romulans? At least, they were constantly fighting. And I'm pretty sure they fought the Klingons in DS9... and the Borg all the time.

Well, they are at war but in the chapter they show little fights the only grat wars showed where against the borg (the best of both worlds 1 y 2) and the dominion wars....
but this is after the dead of Rodenberry, he don´t want wars ins star trek, because of this ib the first seassons of TNG isn´t any war

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
So, what sort of movies do you all have on your shelves?

Aliens
Batman:Mask Of The Phantasm
Beast Wars
Castle Of Cagliostro
Dragon Ball Z: Dead Zone
Mortal Combat
Star Trek Insurrection
Dune
G.I.Joe the movie
Dr.No
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
Goldeneye
TWINE

what i want next:
Frank Herberts Dune(the recent one that aired on sci-fi)

[Edited by Kain on 04-21-2001 at 15:31]

Ghost: I've read and enjoyed all the Dune books (from Dune to Chapterhouse, and even the Prelude to Dune books) and I still enjoy the movie.

I also enjoy the 2000 mini-series, but it did get a tad boring at some points and the desert sets were absolutely horrible. Hopefully John Harrison will film in the actual desert for his proposed Dune Messiah mini-series.

LOAF: Yeah, the UFP was at war with the Romulans and Klingons during TOS, but it wasn't as big, elaborate, or important as DS9's Dominion War. It was more like little skirmishes every now and then, before Praxis blew up and they had to become friends.

As for the Klingons vs. UFP in DS9... I think that was because Chancellor Gowron had been replaced with a Changeling (hey, that's a song by The Doors!).

Back