WC movie & errors

But the fact is that, indeed, Star Trek's utopian future is full of cart-loads of war:)?

As for the Dune movie... I read the books first, and I still loved it -- it's a great movie in its own right, and it's neat to see how someone interpreted Dune.

Originally posted by Quarto
And yeah, I didn't bother with the German soundtrack on Das Boot :). I wouldn't have understood it, and watching it with subtitles would have detracted from the experience.

Oh well that's a pity... The German Version is actually the best (ok I am German so I understand it) But you saw it in French? That's strange, as my DVD only has German and English...

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
But the fact is that, indeed, Star Trek's utopian future is full of cart-loads of war:)?

Yeah....BUT, MOST of the "wars" are isolated incedents with maybe a few causuaties. They tend to be like economic wars and such. The good by far outweighs the bad. Wars is inevitable. No matter how perfect the society.

Here's a list of all the wars in Trek:

Eugenic Wars/WW3 - BAD (worst war EVER)

Earth/Romulan War - Not too bad (only a few ships destoryed on each side)

1st Klingon War - More of an economic war (No war with the Romulans after E/R war, we hadn't even seen the romulans again till "Balance of Terror")

1st Cardassian War - Border skirmishes, nothing major

2nd Klingon War - Real short, a few days

Dominion War - You all know

That's about it

I dislike Star Trek

At first, the Star Trek universe brought hope of a utopian society with humanistic terms. But ST:TNG also invited the presence of Q who prove that human are still as arrogant and stupid as they can get.

Trek later invited mytiscism... too much if I may say... and the main characters began to become like mythical figures. Take for example Kirk or Sisko. Not they wanted to be any such myths, but they are in fact legendary.

WC... is far different. The guy who had a lot of myth and legend was mostly Blair. Blair from a by-the-book scared rookie... who became a traitor, a tired war hero and later one... the Heart of the Tiger. Even though he is human, he was also the savior of the Kilrathi race (if Kilrah hadn't been cleanse, the Kilrathi wouldn't learn to live by other ways.)

Yet... WC wasn't always about Blair himself... same as B5 being about Sheridan only.

Originally posted by Dralthi5
Ghost: I've read and enjoyed all the Dune books (from Dune to Chapterhouse, and even the Prelude to Dune books) and I still enjoy the movie.

Well i enjoy too the Dune movie, i have seen it 5 times
but the movie lack of too many items from the book and if you read you know that is many things
And about the interpretation of a man, David Lynch was upset with the movie, and his name was removed (Alan Smithe appears)

Re: I dislike Star Trek

Originally posted by TheFraix
At first, the Star Trek universe brought hope of a utopian society with humanistic terms. But ST:TNG also invited the presence of Q who prove that human are still as arrogant and stupid as they can get.

The Q are quite arrogant and stupid themselves though...

Trek later invited mytiscism... too much if I may say... and the main characters began to become like mythical figures. Take for example Kirk or Sisko. Not they wanted to be any such myths, but they are in fact legendary.

I think that's why the shows are about those people. Would a show about some Ensign in a dead end job at Comm Station Zulu be any fun? No. Audiences want big imporant people. Kirk may be legendary but he's no myth. Sisko, well, i didn't like the whole bajoran prophet thing. But, hey you win some loose some.

Originally posted by Sonntag
And yeah, I didn't bother with the German soundtrack on Das Boot :). I wouldn't have understood it, and watching it with subtitles would have detracted from the experience.

Oh well that's a pity... The German Version is actually the best (ok I am German so I understand it) But you saw it in French? That's strange, as my DVD only has German and English...
Come now, what's the big deal? Virtually all of the main actors speak their lines for the English version as well. And as for your DVD being different, it's the unfortunate effect of regionalisation - DVDs for different regions often have slightly different content, including sometimes different cuts of the film (due to differing film classification regulations).

Originally posted by Silent Warrior
If Deckard would've been a replicant... Whoa, wait... MEMORY IMPLANTS! Heh! Even WITH the monologues, it leaves you wondering! But... eh... Bryant DID say that he 'needed the old Blade Runner, and his magic'. In BOTH versions.
And why couldn't he be a replicant designed to hunt down replicants? :p He might have already been around for quite a while. Indeed, having read quite a few Phillip K. Dick stories, I think he would have approved of both the implications, and the new ending.

"So, Gaff had been there... and let her live. ... But Rachel was special. No determined lifespan. I didn't know how much time we had together. Then again, who does."
THAT was the whole point of the ending. They could have been driving through a damn hurricane for all I care, just as long as that monologue was there and as long as Deckard's monologue after Roy's death remains.
Oh, come on. That monologue wouldn't make any sense - it's insulting to the viewer's intelligence. Do you really think that they gave Rachel an unlimited lifespan just on the off chance that she'll fall in love with Deckard? Get outta here - she was an experiment, like all others. And of course, apart from that silly "no determined lifespan" bit, the rest of the monologue just tells the viewer what he already knows. We know Gaff had been there and let her live. We know that they've got no idea how long they'll be together. And we even heard that "then again who does" bit :).

So what it comes down to, is that apart from removing something which shouldn't have been there in the first place, changing the ending made no difference whatsoever.

[Edited by Quarto on 04-22-2001 at 06:19]

Come now, what's the big deal? Virtually all of the main actors speak their lines for the English version as well. And as for your DVD being different, it's the unfortunate effect of regionalisation - DVDs for different regions often have slightly different content, including sometimes different cuts of the film (due to differing film classification regulations).
Well it is correct that they are speaking their own lines, the main problem is that with all films, synchronisaiton destroys the movie (I hate English movies in the German Versions). For example, jokes cannot be translated properly. In Das Boot, a lot of atmosphere comes from the different dialects people on board are speaking, e.g someone from Hamburg next to someone from Austria. This
cannot be translated.

Das Boot is still a great movie in English, but it is nothing compared to the German original.

(Just like in Star Wars episode 1: Wipe them out, all of them! sounds MUCH cooler than Vernichtet sie, bis auf den letzten)

However,you are right, if someone doesn't understand it in German, well than the German Version does not add more to the experience.

ID4? Where does the 4 come from? :)
Indeed, I thoroughly enjoyed Independence Day - it played really well on the big screen, but why, oh why did we only see American landmarks being blown up? Admittedly, they did show some of the atmospheric "phenomena" in Russia and Africa, but I still felt they could have done more. It was nice to see the city destroyer flattening Sydney metropolitan for two seconds at the end too, but... it was all too American for me.

OK, enough ranting. Otherwise LOAF will say something about people only moan about the US because it is worth moaning about. :)

Ghost: Yeah, I mentioned that earlier. :)

Also, Lynch was only upset about the 4-hour TV version (which I still haven't seen, BTW). The 2 and half hour version that showed in the theaters in '84 still have his name on it, and not Alan Smithee.

Originally posted by Sonntag
Well it is correct that they are speaking their own lines, the main problem is that with all films, synchronisaiton destroys the movie (I hate English movies in the German Versions). For example, jokes cannot be translated properly. In Das Boot, a lot of atmosphere comes from the different dialects people on board are speaking, e.g someone from Hamburg next to someone from Austria. This
cannot be translated.
Yes, well, I obviously wouldn't pick up the different accents ;). Though actually, in most cases the accents would, at least in theory, carry over to the English version - again, because most are speaking their own lines. But then of course there's at least several minor characters who didn't speak their own lines, and thus have a Bri'ish accent in the English version.
The synchronisation, btw, is near-perfect. Presumably, they got a lot of experience when they synchronised the German version :) (apparently, the gyroscopes on the special hand-held camera were too loud).

Quarto: I would've countered some, but the system said I had too many images (WTF?), so I'll just jump to the finishing lines.
Two smileys per post :(.

How hard you ever work, you won't convince people who've seen the first BR-release that BR DC is the better of the two. No chance in heaven OR hell! And the ending... just felt right. It felt like an ending. Just like P2's. [
I wasn't at all pleased with P2's ending, actually :) (but that's just me personally objecting to my character taking over the Kindred; all things considered, it certainly was appropriate). Anyway, I think it's just a matter of what you see first - most DCs don't change the ending, so naturally people object. Had you seen the DC first, I'm sure your view would be different.

See the original BR-movie, and you'll easily see why I'm fuming over the severely maimed DC-version.

Screw the original cut. The execs thought people were too stupid to follow a visually expressive film with long periods of no talking, so they forced Ridley Scott to do a narrative.

The DC is superior for many, many reasons, esp for deleting that goddamned driving sequence at the end of the film. Actually, that shot was later used in the opening titles of the Shining , I hear. Eerie...

Ridley Scott can barely direct his way out of a bag, he's such a hack. His earliest stuff is wonderful and so was White Squall, but the rest is pretty much Hollygarbage.

I'd also like to point out, that Philip K Dick saw a work print of the early cut of Blade Runner only a week or so before he died. Supposedly, he cried from the first 20 minutes on because Ridley's visuals were so true to the way PKD saw them.

I also had some black and white photos from unused footage from that film, like Deckard talking in the hospital to the Runner that gets shot in the beginning.

Beautiful film, none-the-less.

God, can Rutger Hauer act..."IIIIIIII'm coooooooooming fooooooor yooooooooooou!!!"

Speaking of crap, Wedge, ID4 IS a bunch of worthless american crap directed by a worthless german director (Roland Emmerich). Didja know Emmerich's first professional movie (Moon 44) had Malcolm McDowell in it?

And...Brian Thompson from X-Files and the second Mortal
Kom---

Wait, that movie didn't ever exist... :)

Originally posted by LeHah
I also had some black and white photos from unused footage from that film, like Deckard talking in the hospital to the Runner that gets shot in the beginning.
Hmm, that's right. I remember reading what appeared to be an earlier version of the script, and being surprised by the existence of that scene. And the fact that the ending was even more downbeat (it seemed to be implied that Rachel actually died).

God, can Rutger Hauer act..."IIIIIIII'm coooooooooming fooooooor yooooooooooou!!!"
Ohhhh yeah...

SW: I insist - it's a matter of what your mind accepts as the right version. Had you seen the DC first, you'd be convinced that's the right one.
And on a sidenote, it would appear that I have located a non-DC version at last (apart from videos and DVDs, my uni library seems to have an ample laserdisk collection), so I guess I'll have to check it out.

Speaking of crap, Wedge, ID4 IS a bunch of worthless american crap directed by a worthless german director (Roland Emmerich).

Wait, what does it being American have to do with anything?

Wait, that movie didn't ever exist...

My feelings exactly. And the first MK was so cool (cool, not good).

Originally posted by Dralthi5
Wait, what does it being American have to do with anything?
You don't want me to answer that, do you? :p

...Seriously though, nothing at all. Anybody can produce crap, and anybody can produce great stuff.

Back