Torps?

Where does the Lance V come from? It seems to have incredible statistics, compared with the other Lances.

[Never mind, I think it's from Armada.]

Lance Mark III
Velocity - 1000 kps
Duration - 14 sec
Range - 14000 m
Max Y/P - 20/20 dps
Accel - 200 k/s^2
Lock - 12 sec
Damage - 800 cm
Refire - 0 sec
Length - 3.8 m
Warhead - Antimatter

Lance Mark IV
Velocity - 1000 kps
Duration - 16 sec
Range - 16000 m
Max Y/P - 20/20 dps
Accel - 200 k/s^2
Lock - 12 sec
Damage - 200 cm
Refire - 0 sec
Length - 10 m
Warhead - Fusion

Now.
Can someone explain to me why we (Confed) replaced a powerful torpedo, with another one, which is almost 3 times larger, with only 25% warhead power?

PS - I was shooting my torps at point blank range (1500m-0m) so as far as I'm concerned - speed, accel., max Y/P, range and duration are some what irrelevent to me.

May not be a replacement issue. A ships inventory might include both types - and they use the less 'explosive' one in WCIV in the hopes of disabling ships rather than blowing them up outright (since we're fighting humans in an undeclared war).

I'm sure the fandom can come up with all sorts of explanations - but there's no official one.

Sorry if this places me in the "stupid little KIDS" catagory ;) , but I like the Dumbfire. Yes, torpedoes are cool- they are great capital ship killers, but it is really gratifying to blast a Kilrathi fighter with a missle lacking any sort of guidance system. It is similar to killing with a rifle. It takes practice and skill.

I did that quite a few times in UE, where cheap missiles like the DF are in plentiful supply. :)

[A few missed, of course, but there's something very gratifying - arrogant even - to be had from the ability to just shoot a blind missile and fly away as someone like James Bond might just punch out a bad guy and walk away, whistling while calmly straightening his tie.]

Plus, taking a dumbfire up the ass (or, worse yet, having one jammed up your nose) is something akin to adding insult to injury.

"Not only did I kill you; I did it in possibly the most contemptable way possible, sucker."

Yeah a DF is like the bitch slap with the pistol in Halo, a very direct F--K You!

Nothing better than that to the face...I need to get my hands on an old pc and get my WC collection running, it's been far to long since I fired up a WC game...

The best "bitch slap" in Halo was either with the Assault Rifle, or the Plasma Rifle. The Assault Rifle was just . . . very swift, and very convincing.

Honorable Mention goes to the sucker-punch with the Plasma Pistol. It's quite satisfying to see your fist beating in the skull of an Elite.

The most devasting and funny is the launch whack...since it's such a large weapon it's like getting hit with a giant club...

I love using DFs, its so fun and challenging at first! I love the Peleus missions in WC4 when you have only DFs, no sheilds, and no radar, its so fun! In fact, I was just playing WC4 and I was playing the Spearadon mission where you have to capture the Bearcats and I loaded up on DFs and Starbursts and let them rip at the Hellcats guarding the Bearcats and the radar buoy at nav 1, it was so awesome! I just wait until they come around for a pass at me, afterburn for them(play chicken with them) then at the last minute let loose a DF and afterburn through the ensueing explosion, it looks so awesome when you look at it from one of the camera views!

Wedge009 said:
I did that quite a few times in UE, where cheap missiles like the DF are in plentiful supply. :)

[A few missed, of course, but there's something very gratifying - arrogant even - to be had from the ability to just shoot a blind missile and fly away as someone like James Bond might just punch out a bad guy and walk away, whistling while calmly straightening his tie.]

Oh yes, when that a group of Salthis is charging you, there's enough time for 3 easy DF-kills :D

I suppose the DF was underused in WCP because it would have affected the game balance somewhat in favour of player (even more than it already is). Of course the brand spanking new Midway with all its equally new fighters should be sporting something a bit newer.

The crappy AI in WCP always makes the fighters charge you and then turn away at a certain distance. Its fairly easy know when they're going to turn so thats always my favourite opportunity for a DF or ImRec bitchslap.

The DFs really helped to even up the odds in UE, God knows what I would have done without them...

Well I supposed I would have been killed lots but that happened anyway :rolleyes:

jammyo2k said:
Of course the brand spanking new Midway with all its equally new fighters should be sporting something a bit newer.
You mean, like the brand-new Dragonfly unguided rocket thingy? :p I don't think a missile's lack of guidance necessarily means that it considered old or obsolete compared to other missile types.

I think the "official" explanation for the nerfing of the torp would probably be game balance. the funny thing is that the rest of the missiles got a lot stronger... But LOAF is right, there's no ingame official reasoning for the nerfing.

Fenris Ulven said:
it would be cool to put on lets say 6 torps on a hellcat on the hull, is it theroetical possible?

I doubt the frame of a Hellcat could carry more than one or two torpedos - but it is definitely possible that a ship is modified to carry a torpedo sling (In fact, wasn't it a card in the WC CCG?)

Yes, you can sling a *single* torpedo under a Hellcat. There's a WC:CCG card with a picture of the Hellcat Torpedo Gripper, and then Blair mentions it in the TPoF novel.

Back