Torps?

Emirikol

Spaceman
I recently played through WC4 again, to get Hawk's ending, and I couldn't help bu t noticing that destroying capships with dumbfires is much less annoying than doing it with torpedoes.

you can always do it in one run by sending a couple of them in quick succession.
you can shoot from quite a far way away.
and of course no need to worry about getting a lock.

so, I was wandering - were torpedoes this usless compared to dumbfires in the previous games (it's been a while since I played them)?
and does anyone find it odd that the brand new vesuvius (super carrier, was it?) could have been taken down in about hlaf a minute by sending any half decent pilot in a hellcat with a load of dumbfires?

Emirikol said:
does anyone find it odd that the brand new vesuvius (super carrier, was it?) could have been taken down in about hlaf a minute by sending any half decent pilot in a hellcat with a load of dumbfires?

Were that engagement in real life (ok, that assumes a helluva lot of advancement, but anyhow), instead of in a game where J. Random Player is supposed to be Savior Of The Confederation, it would be rather more difficult to get into a position to do that. I mean, you don't really think a carrier listed as carrying 400 fighters, even with the relatively small pool of Project pilots from which Tolwyn had to staff his fighter wings, would only have a dozen or so birds to put into the air (ok, into space :p ), do you? :)

hmm... and how did dumbfires fare against cap ships in wc3?

I admit that I did exaggerate the case, but still -
dumbfires have a very good range and are fast enough to make shooting them a bloody hard target to hit.

The Dumbfire stayed about the same.. but it appears that the Torpedo was considerably weaked going into WC4.

A real wc player always uses the torps. Its had a unique feeling in wc1,2,:the music changes during getting the lock,holding back your breath, afterburnin towards the capship, rolling, spinnig, and finally sending the package on the way... KA-BOOOM. It was either the cap ship, or you blown away :). But if you succeeded, you never forgot the moment :)
I never used the dumbfires, they are useless...

There are no torps in WC1. Dumbfires are far from useless, especially after WC3, but Torps do have a unique place in the arsenal. Salvoing four torps is just great.

four torps? wich ship has so many? Longbow? i find lonbow rather usless, unless you have a big fleet infront of you that not have fighter support but whats the chance for that?

ChrisReid said:
The Dumbfire stayed about the same.. but it appears that the Torpedo was considerably weaked going into WC4.

Think this could be because of phase shielding or armor - or is it just game balance?

When I first played wc3 I realized after reading the manual that 2 DFs were just about equal to one torp. After that I tended to use t-bolts or excal whenever possible with atleast a few DFs for anti-capship.

Sometimes it seems easier to destroy the dreadnaught with an excal with all DFs then in a longbow with all DFs and torps...

Beside the unique feeling of using torpedoes already described, I also very seldom used DF because I could save thus the missile slots for IR or Leech missiles. Why waste missile hardpoints for anti-capship weapons if you carry torpedoes anyway. Even more so when you usually attack cap ships only after defeating the fighters thus no one is troubling you when you launch your torpedo. I also destroyed the lighter cap ships (frigates and destroyers) regularily with guns (Stormfire), that works just fine.
But I found the Avenger to be a bit underpowered compared to the Vindicator, having only one torpedo more.

Fenris Ulven said:
four torps? wich ship has so many? Longbow? i find lonbow rather usless, unless you have a big fleet infront of you that not have fighter support but whats the chance for that?

The Longbow has four torps.. but the Avenger can salvo four. You don't need the enemy to lack fighter support.. you just need fighter support of your own.

Bandit LOAF said:
The WC3 torpedoes have antimatter warheads, the WC4 ones are fusion warheads.

Why'd they switch the warhead loadout?

Everyone who uses a dumbfire is a dumbass, and will get dumped into space while trying to get a shot at sumptin smaller then a planet. U use torps cause u carry other stuff for killin fighters, and such. BTW, WC was the FIRST to introduce the 'u can only kill the capship with torp' thing. And thats a really good thing they did.
Its a shame that the caphips were so week in WC4...
Tell u what: its because of u stupe li'le kids who didnt wanted to use their little brains. A separate shot with a torp would have been to much for you. Thats why u got this stupid weeking of capships, and thats why all the new games are so primitiv !!! ITs you stupid little KIDS.!!! ( real good ol wc fans disregard this part, its not meant for u)

lorddarthvik said:
Everyone who uses a dumbfire is a dumbass, and will get dumped into space while trying to get a shot at sumptin smaller then a planet. U use torps cause u carry other stuff for killin fighters, and such. BTW, WC was the FIRST to introduce the 'u can only kill the capship with torp' thing. And thats a really good thing they did.
Its a shame that the caphips were so week in WC4...
Tell u what: its because of u stupe li'le kids who didnt wanted to use their little brains. A separate shot with a torp would have been to much for you. Thats why u got this stupid weeking of capships, and thats why all the new games are so primitiv !!! ITs you stupid little KIDS.!!! ( real good ol wc fans disregard this part, its not meant for u)

catmacro.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back