The Nephilim in Nexus (Note: Image heavy)

Nice thing about the manual... one question, are you working with anyone on this project?... do you need any help?

Hehe, I am the sole member. Which isn't necessarily bad... the coding is actually really easy. And the model conversions are pretty straight forward as well. It all can be accomplished by one man. However, if things suddenly get busy, and I have to redirect my time elsewhere, the project naturally gets halted.

What is it that you can do? I could use a modeller and/or texturer, if you can possibly do that. Otherwise... their's not a whole lot that can be pushed onto someone else, I don't think.

I think those are reasonable concessions to make for accuracy. Nobody is going to fault you for not being able to change that which is hard coded.

Good... sometimes I feel like some around here would rather lynch someone than deviate at all from written specifications. I'll do my best to keep fighter loadouts faithful to their roles, but sadly they just won't have nearly as much ordinance.

Here's what I'm planning on doing.

Shrike:
Particle Cannon
Mass Driver
Light Torpedo (6 reloads)

Tigershark:
Laser Cannon
Mass Driver
Heatseeker (4 reloads)

Dralthi IV:
Meson Gun
Particle Cannon
Image Recognition (4 reloads)

Paktahn:
Plasma Gun
Mass Driver Tailgun
Torpedo (6 reloads)

If, for some reason, I can't get a tailgun to work on the Paktahn, I'll replace it with its ion cannons. But I think the rear gun should work.

Still slaving away, and getting very close! I keep finding little things that need to be changed in order to make the mod more complete. And just recently, I finished tweaking the Bhant'kara model I had to fit more what I wanted, and here's a screenshot of it!

Bhantkara.jpg

EDIT: And as an etra goodie.

TigersharkStrike.jpg

It's been a long time since I've played Wing Commander 3. Can anyone tell me what color the Meson Gun and Plasma Gun bolts were for the Kilrathi?

Alright, so... here's what I have left to do before I release the mod.

1. Finish rigging Paktahn bomber.
2. Add meson and plasma gun weapon effects.

After that, I think it's all set for the first small release, unless something's completely slipped my mind.

Just fair warning, the AI in skirmish missions is as dumb as a brick. I'm working on trying to modify it to acting more appropriately, but I haven't had experience with the scripting language. Thus, for this release, don't expect much in the way of a challenge, unless you're playing against another human. This is just to show the ships in action, more or less, and give you a sense of what is to come.

Unfortunately nobody in the Nexus community has been able to fire missiles at fighters. One of the most interesting things about the engine is that it doesnt use collision detection, and I think thats where the limitations come from for the weapons.

However your mod does still look very impressive, so keep at it and it will turn out great!

Awesome, thanks Chris. I was half right at least. I'll quickly fix the plasma gun colors and look to package this thing in the morning.

Oh, and Sarty! I still need that script from you, buddy, in order to try and get those shields working on fighters, if you can spare it. :D

Ok! Here's the Alpha 0.1 release of the mod. It's nothing too spectacular yet, but it does show promise. Known issues are:

1. AI is dumb as a rock.
2. Fighter dogfights not behaving perfectly.
3. Fighters are not mounted with shields.
4. Some components lack a proper label.
5. Fighters aren't using both guns.
6. Missions won't end when last ship is destroyed.

It's important to remember that this is an Alpha release. There's still much more to add, and I'd like to hear back from you all on what you like, and what needs to be changed.

So, here it is. I'm sure all of you are familiar with downloading from Filefront. Just extract the folder to the Mods directory in Nexus, and select it from the Modifications menu to start playing.

http://files.filefront.com//;7040987;/

Hey Exarch,

Thanks for putting a release together, even if it is still at a very early stage. I don't have my copy of Nexus with me at the moment, but will definitely give the mod a bash when I go home next week. Would it be possible for you or anyone else to post a short FRAPs video of the mod when you/they have a moment? Also, would it be possible to try out the mod using the Nexus demo?

Cheers,

Bryn

I can certainly try putting a FRAPs video together. I actually have one already sitting around from a very early version of a Shrike bomber run against a Tiamat dreadnaught. Alot has changed since then, though.

As for working with the demo, I'm really not sure. I haven't tried it, but my first assumption would be to say no, it wouldn't. But I could always be wrong. ;)

Hope you enjoy the mod when you get back! In the meantime, I'll be working on some graphical improvements, as well as adding a few more ships and the Nephilim back into the mod in hopefully a more balanced setting.

Thanks, Chris, for posting this on the front page. :D

I'm happy to say that the Fralthi II and the Plunkett are ready for the next release. Cruisers make a big difference on the excitement of the mod, I'd say. I think you all are going to like taking them out for a spin. ;)

Ok! Here's the Alpha 0.1 release of the mod.

So, here it is. I'm sure all of you are familiar with downloading from Filefront. Just extract the folder to the Mods directory in Nexus, and select it from the Modifications menu to start playing.

http://files.filefront.com//;7040987;/

I don't know if there is a problem with the file or I just don't know how to download it, 'cause I can't seem to be able to do it... any suggestions???

Back