The Nephilim in Nexus (Note: Image heavy)

Exarch said:
Holy ressurected fan projects, Bat Man!

After too long of a hiatus, I've come back to work on this with renewed interest.

Looks neat. Are you going to have enough interest to actually see this through to a playable released thing?

I've always had that much interest, it's just things got hectic. I've been thinking of this mod the whole time, though, and wondering when I'd get back to it, so you bet I'm still interested.

Exarch said:
I've always had that much interest, it's just things got hectic.

And that's the problem. If you take six months off every time things get too hectic, the mod won't ever get finished. A ship pack might be a good idea to get what you've already done available in the mean time. It'd also be good if you could balance the light somewhat. Things appear either a bit too light or two dark sometimes here.

The model viewer he is using comes with Nexus and it simulates a sun in the system. That's why one side of the ship is much brighter than the other.

Exarch: I did manage to find that bit of code your were looking for, but it is very heavily modified for what I was doing with it. Give me a day or so and I think I can get it to react in more of a WC fashion.

Glad to know your still going on with this project. Im hoping that some version of this mod gets finished. Anway good luck.

About the lightning/reflection/brightness of the sunside. I don't know how Nexus works in this way but some games have special speculare textures that help you to regulate the amount of light beeing reflected. I don't know if you are allready doing this...it just came up my mind because with Saga we also had a to shine problem when specmaps where implemented.

Just on the topic of the beginning of the thread...

These are spectacular modifications. Too bad they can't be imported into the Vision engine, huh?

Believe it or not, I'm still here, learning more and more about trying to work around real life and being the sole developer of this thing. Apparently, I was very optimistic about my first idea concerning a release date, but hey... at the time, things were going great.

I've run into some discouraging snags that I can't quite figure out, such as the apparent inability to make shielded or stealth fighters. Sarty had partial success with it a while back, but further progress has not been achieved.

Anyways, after just playing Saga's prologue, and watching the Wing Commander movie, and the recent news concerning WC: Arena, I'm pumped again for Wing Commander, so I'm off to see if I can add a few more ships into this right now.

I'm working as I post on building a small release. It'll include the following ships, with (hopefully) full loadouts.

Confed Capital Ships:
Ranger Light Carrier
Coventry Destroyer

Confed Fighters:
Shrike
Tigershark

Kilrathi Capital Ships:
Bhant'kara (I think I spelled that right) Carrier
Bordrav Light Destroyer

Kilrathi Fighters:
Paktahn
Dralthi Mk. IV

The worst part is attempting to get the statistics accurate and working in Nexus, as well as the weapon special effects. It's really hit-or-miss guessing on trying to get those right, it seems. Also, three skirmish missions will be included, one playing Confed, one playing Kilrathi, and one for a two-player skirmish.

I'll keep you updated as I get closer. I have the house all to myself, with nothing I need to do tomorrow, so I expect to get plenty done.

EDIT: Oh, and one last thing. If anyone can find an original, ripped from WC3 model of the Kilrathi Carrier, I'd be very grateful. The model I have was apparently meant for a Freespace mod, perhaps a very, very early version of the Saga model that somehow ended up in this huge model pack. I actually like the old WC3 engines much better, so hopefully someone can help me there.

Almost, but not quite.

I completed the model conversions last night. I waited until this morning to start fiddling with numbers in the data files to get the shields, armor, speed, etc. accurate. And, I also have a good number of the weapons to fill in the blanks for. Really, though, it's not that difficult, just tedious.

I can't gaurantee high-res textures for all the ships, especially Kilrathi fighters. They're proving stubborn to get looking right. But, even if I don't, small price to pay right now in getting something playable released, right?

And just to confirm, yes I -do- have several other ships converted and ready. However, I felt it better to do a small release that's close to balanced, as I'm pretty sure whichever way you look at it, adding the Midway to the Confed side would seriously tip the favor into their hands. ;)

Ok, little update. I think I have the weapon stats worked out. I'm moving onto the ship data now. Hopefully it will go by quickly.

Big thanks to the CIC ship database. This would be impossible without it.

EDIT: Another update. Ships almost ready. I just need to arm them with their proper loadout. Then it's on to special effects!

Alright, I just finished bug fixing, and it's nearly ready! Really this time. Most of what's left is cosmetic, like turret placement, special effects, sounds, music, etc.

I don't have any in-game screenshots for you, but here's a little something I had lying around for a long time. It's a couple of draft pages I made for the manual. Enjoy!

Page1-1.jpg

Tiamat.jpg

Hit yet another snag with the fighters last night. Apparently the devs thought it a good idea to hardcode a three weapon limitation on the fighters. So here's what I'm going to do. Each fighter will have a maximum of two different energy weapons (usually plenty for any fighter in Wing Commander) and one missile weapon. Since I've yet to figure out how to make missiles actually hit a fighter, the missiles will be an anti-capship weapon. My reasoning behind this is that in almost any WC game, your commander tells you to save missiles for larger ships. Just think of it as your pilots playing by the book. ;)

Also, another good reason for this is that if I -could- add the full ordinance onto a fighter, they'd dump it at the first chance they got. There's no way of controlling what a fighter uses at any time. You'd probably see 5 or 6 missiles launching at the same time, streaking at different targets. It'd look messy. So in the long run, it might be better this way.

Back