The Fans Shall Triumph

Hey, if you look carefully, I criticized *TWO* Wing Commander things. :)

(Speaking of the second: Last year at DragonCon we went to see Syd Mead give a speech about... Syd Mead. He had slides of Prophecy ships, but they were all tie-dyed.)

Heh.. good ole Syd.. you know I seem to recall hearing about him taking credit for a few of the designs that weren't even his.. but I could be mis-remembering something.. oh well..

Loaf, I'm going to e-you an image.. can you swap it in for my rank symbol?

-Johnny

There ya go Captain.

Syd Mead... I seem to recall hearing the same thing -- his coffee table book about stuff he did takes credit for the Moray, the Kraken and the Nephilim themselves.

WC Hopefuls

Hey guys-
I'm kinda going back to the beginning of this thread, because i've heard a lot of stuff about how a flight sim couldn't do well in this market of rpgs and strats.... How do you think the market took a turn that way in the first place? I'll tell you why; because Origin and LucasArts either stopped putting out sims entirely or only put out crappy ones. A good game is a good game and will sell that way given the chance and the advertising... no matter what the market is. If it is a truly great game and innovates, then people will buy it, because the consumers like cool concepts, great graphics, and slick gameplay... If EA wants to put together a team and give them the cash to do that, then it WILL sell, and the sales from us WC fans alone would be a good start.

That's fun to say, but it's not *true*. X-Wing Alliance, WC:p and StarLancer were all fine games with reasonable hype.

advertisements...

Y'know after viewing some advertisements of plenty of games and reading about the reviews and the gameplays and sort...

Are there any game ads that sez 'Hey, we're not expecting the number one :genre: game of the year, but we're giving our best on this game'?

Or maybe all game ads are just showing off and trying to convince us that they're the best, although the game would probably be obsolete after a few years?

Re: advertisements...

Originally posted by TheFraix
Y'know after viewing some advertisements of plenty of games and reading about the reviews and the gameplays and sort...

Are there any games that sez 'Hey, we're not expecting the number one :genre: game of the year, but we're giving our best on this game'?

Shareware, maybe?

Seriously, EVERYONE wants to be the number one game of the year in ALL genres. If you put your blood, sweat, and tears, into your product, then you hope you'll see a good payback on that investment. And besides, if you say that you're game isn't number one, then you're stating that there's a better game out there that people could be buying, and that given the choice between your game and the other game, people should leave yours on the shelf.
Not a good marketing strategy...

I think if they released a free multiplayer game were you flew around working as a team or death match like TeamFortress except WC then like 2 years made a game you had to pay for people would buy. Soon they will release TF2 and you can't download it so we shall see if this type of marketing works.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
That's fun to say, but it's not *true*. X-Wing Alliance, WC:p and StarLancer were all fine games with reasonable hype.

Note that you said "fine" game.... I said great, and frankly Starlancer was nowhere near that category, X-Wing Alliance was enjoyable for me as a star wars fan but i can honestly tell you i wouldn't have liked it at all otherwise. Prophecy I'll concede to, but my main point stands... think about it, how did Max Payne get to the point it is now? Because it combines awesome gameplay, a great storyline, and new, previously unattempted features like Bullet Time. Real time strategy is pretty much on the way out, unless they decide on a surprise release of Starcraft 2 or something that genre will probably fade into the background just as flight sims did a few years ago. I don't think that WC can survive and/or come back if they make it in the exact same traditions as the previous games. They need to do something totally revolutionary to bring back the series and the genre itself. maybe something where the confederation assaults the Nephilim on their home turf, wherever through the wormholes that may be... Or even yet, they could do a crossover game that's part RPG, part flight sim (like the new starfox game that's coming out), or something completely original. That way they cash in on fans across the market. The other thing is that if this new tv series is good(unlike the movie), then a new game could succeed. I'm sure Alliance would have sold better if it had been released with Episode 2...

Originally posted by Dragonmage
think about it, how did Max Payne get to the point it is now? Because it combines awesome gameplay, a great storyline, and new, previously unattempted features like Bullet Time.

Max Payne was terribly overrated, just like Half-Life. Yeah, it was good, but one new gaming feature doesn't make a game.

Real time strategy is pretty much on the way out, unless they decide on a surprise release of Starcraft 2 or something that genre will probably fade into the background just as flight sims did a few years ago.

::Beats you over the head repeatedly with his Warcraft III Collectors Edition Box::

don't think that WC can survive and/or come back if they make it in the exact same traditions as the previous games. They need to do something totally revolutionary to bring back the series and the genre itself.

Why? System Shock came back after how many years and the sequel was great! And look at Doom 3 fer crissakes! Nothing revolutionary in either, but look how people drool.

something where the confederation assaults the Nephilim on their home turf, wherever through the wormholes that may be... Or even yet, they could do a crossover game that's part RPG, part flight sim (like the new starfox game that's coming out), or something completely original.

That idea is so wildly unimaginitive and dumb, you must be on TheForce.Net BBS.

That way they cash in on fans across the market. The other thing is that if this new tv series is good(unlike the movie), then a new game could succeed. I'm sure Alliance would have sold better if it had been released with Episode 2...

Well, first off, Episode 2 was crap. X-Wing Alliance kicked ass. And you can't say Alliance sold badly, since it was re-released again not too long ago.

And the Wing Commander Movie was great. You're just silly.

Well, first off, Episode 2 was crap. X-Wing Alliance kicked ass. And you can't say Alliance sold badly, since it was re-released again not too long ago.

That's not a very telling factor... games are often rereleased as 'classic' editions to try and make up money lost with the initial product or to use up existing stock (as with the classic edition of the Ultima Collection).

Are you telling me all those copies of Bad Blood I have in my room are...::gasp:: BAD GAMES?!

Re: advertisements...

Originally posted by TheFraix
Are there any game ads that sez 'Hey, we're not expecting the number one :genre: game of the year, but we're giving our best on this game'?

:: ...Can see it now: "WE'RE NUMBER 2! WE'RE NUMBER 2!!..." ::

Originally posted by LeHah
Are you telling me all those copies of Bad Blood I have in my room are...::gasp:: BAD GAMES?!

I actually can't recall Bad Blood ever being repackaged... you'd better ask in the Origin Museum forum, though.

Originally posted by LeHah

X-Wing Alliance kicked ass. And you can't say Alliance sold badly, since it was re-released again not too long ago.

I believe Force Commander was re-released at about the same time, and if you try and tell me THAT game was good, I'll beat you, repeatedly.
*shudder*

Actually, X-Wing Alliance was a decent game with the notable drawbacks that a single X-Wing could kill a star destroyer, and the fact that the multi-player set-up was a major step backwards from X-Wing v. TIE Fighter. Alliance not allowing much multi-play variety was especially bad when you consider that Freespace was offering a mission editor with its game at the same time.
Sure, in Alliance, you could set up a bunch of freighters, and tell one side to defend them, but those freighters were never going to leave the map on their own.

Ultimately, different people have different opinions about what makes a good game. The group I used to play LAN games with ultimately degenerated into nothing but X-Wing v. TIE, Starcraft, and Rainbow 6. I simply could not get them to even TRY another game, period. For them, the brand name seemed to matter more than anything else. On the one hand, this is good because it keeps you from buying anything and everything that comes out. On the other hand, this is bad because it means that you'll probably still be playing the same games three years from now. While I haven't been in touch with that group in years, I suspect that if they're still doing monthly LAN sessions, that they're probably playing Warcraft III and Rainbow 6 at every session (X-Wing v. TIE was on the way out when I joined, and X-Wing Alliance didn't have the mission variety that they would have liked, since they didn't really care for deathmatch dogfights).

Back