The Fans Shall Triumph

Dude, a single X-Wing took out the Death Star. An X-Wing and the MF took out another Death Star. An A-Wing destroyed the bridge of a Super Star Destroyer. They're just following the movies. Besides, you have to be good enough to take out an ImpStar with just an X-Wing. It's not like it's a common occurence.

Originally posted by Hoops
Dude, a single X-Wing took out the Death Star. An X-Wing and the MF took out another Death Star. An A-Wing destroyed the bridge of a Super Star Destroyer. They're just following the movies. Besides, you have to be good enough to take out an ImpStar with just an X-Wing. It's not like it's a common occurence.

Actually, you don't have to be THAT good to take out a star destroyer in Alliance.
And it should be noted that in each of the instances you listed above, the pilots didn't do the job solo.
They had HELP.
Even Luke almost got shot up in the Death Star attack.
In Alliance, a single X-Wing can jump in, engage and take out the entire fighter compliment on board an Imperial Star Destroyer, trash the shield generators, and then take the 5 minutes or so that it takes to gradually wear down the hull strength on the star destroyer.
To make it even easier, you can first take out the dozen or so turbo laser batteries that are scattered around the surface of the ship - but you don't really need to.
As for the above...
The Death Stars had structural problems that kept certain points from being properly protected. In addition, the pilots in question weren't the only ones involved, as other pilots were necessary to deal with the fighter cover.
The A-Wing took out the bridge on the Executor only AFTER the shield generators had been destroyed - and took out the bridge by flying into it. That's not exactly the method that most pilots will use (actually, that scene is reproduced in Alliance, iirc).
Strangely enough, despite the fact that the game is much more primitive, and the AI should be much worse, I find the Star Destroyers in the original X-Wing to be MUCH tougher opponents than the ones in Alliance.

Originally posted by junior

Strangely enough, despite the fact that the game is much more primitive, and the AI should be much worse, I find the Star Destroyers in the original X-Wing to be MUCH tougher opponents than the ones in Alliance.

You're kidding, right? Alliance has engine wash, making ISDs much harder to take out because you can't sit in between the engines blasting away for fun.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
...games are often rereleased as 'classic' editions to try and make up money lost with the initial product or to use up existing stock...
Originally posted by LeHah
Are you telling me all those copies of Bad Blood I have in my room are...::gasp:: BAD GAMES?!
Pretty much the same thing happened with Privateer, IIRC. We all know that Privateer was anything but a bad game. :)

Originally posted by Lorien

You're kidding, right? Alliance has engine wash, making ISDs much harder to take out because you can't sit in between the engines blasting away for fun.

TIE Fighter has engine wash, too.
The thing is, in X-Wing, strafing a Star Destroyer is actually dangerous, because the turrets actually hit you sometimes. The chance of getting a hit drops somewhat in TIE Fighter, while in X-Wing Alliance, you almost have to come to a complete stop before the Star Destoyer gunners can have a chance of hitting you. The fact that the turrets are such easy targets in Alliance doesn't hurt, either.

Originally posted by junior

TIE Fighter has engine wash, too.
The thing is, in X-Wing, strafing a Star Destroyer is actually dangerous, because the turrets actually hit you sometimes. The chance of getting a hit drops somewhat in TIE Fighter, while in X-Wing Alliance, you almost have to come to a complete stop before the Star Destoyer gunners can have a chance of hitting you. The fact that the turrets are such easy targets in Alliance doesn't hurt, either.

I've stumbled from the Star Trek Forum to the Star Wars Discussion. Can someone please help me find the WING COMMANDER Chat Zone? I must have lost it somewhere...:rolleyes:

Originally posted by WildWeasel
Urge to kill rising.

:: ...must...control...Fist..of..Death... :: (apologies to Scott Adams and Dilbert)

Originally posted by Excelsis

I've stumbled from the Star Trek Forum to the Star Wars Discussion. Can someone please help me find the WING COMMANDER Chat Zone? I must have lost it somewhere...:rolleyes:

You must've stumbled into..the Twilight Zone!
MUHAHAHAHAHA!...

Back