Technology gap between WC 3 and WCP

Well, it is... :)

Do you know how fast present day satellites travel?

37,000 mph i.e. 16.6 kps... Makes you wonder...

Of course, with inertia, we can achieve even faster, but the hard thing is to take out inertia (like in WC), but still maintain a high speed... :cool:

yeah but if you go head on with a fighter who is ALSO traveling something like 400 kps a second youd be on each other and beyond in an instant.

I wonder what the Isp of each Wing Commander craft would be, considering that WC does not take into account inertia...

For those who don't know (like me a few weeks ago, before the related Astronomy course :) ), Isp is the specific impulse of the engines, i.e. the "fuel efficiency"...

But what am I saying? We're getting into hard-core specific stuff here... :D

Well there are a few things to take into consideration, though it seems that they can fly at their maximum non-burn forever, and then can replace it with the ram scoops. I guess you could hold down the afterburners and time how long it is before they run out. With all the minor course corrections and adjustments fighters make i dont think inertia is something that can be counted on to get a fighter anywhere, though it comes in handy for the auto slide:)

Perhaps we should limit the discussion to mere spacecraft... :)

For example, to get a Space Shuttle to Mars in a sufficient amount of time, you could achieve high speed by constantly accelerating during the first half of the trip, and decelerate through the other half, but an ENORMOUS amount of fuel would be necessary for that: NOT possible.

Therefore, we must count on inertia, because we want the shuttle to be as light as possible...
I think that each kilogram sent into space costs NASA $10,000, makes you think where most of the money from taxpayers goes... :eek:

[Edited by mpanty on 03-31-2001 at 23:58]

Clearly stored fuel *is* a requirement, despite the fact that ramscoops can gather hydrogen... because we often see tankers delivering fuel (in WC1, 2 and 3, at least).

Well, I thought only Dragons had ramscoops... :confused:

So clearly, all the other fighters need fuel, non?

Oh ok, so what's unique about the Dragon are the "Bussard intakes", if I remember the name correctly? :)

The Dragon has a m/am engine -- one of the things that makes it special (well, the Excalibur also mounts a m/am engine).

Her fuel intakes are also far more efficient -- allowing her to recharge afterburner fuel.

But it was a much better one than the Excalibur had. I wonder why those fuel intake improvements didnt go into the subsequent ships.

[Edited by Supdon3 on 04-01-2001 at 00:40]

Ok, so from where did the term "Bussard intakes" come into my mind?
(no need for a surgical operation and subsequent exploration of my brain, I just need an answer... :) )

And what are they for? :confused:

And if you're talking about WC, use "CONfederation", "Federation" is from Star Trek... :)

Because they're very, very expensive...

A Bussard Intake is essentially another word for a ramscoop...

I know what im talking about. Confederation and Federation are two different things. If im talking about WC i'll say ConFed or Confederation.

Back