Technology gap between WC 3 and WCP

It's alright. Meson just needs something to validate his sad pathetic existance.

TC

Originally posted by Supdon3
What does KPS stand for anyway? I find it hard to think it's kilometers per second.
Originally posted by mpanty
Well, it is... :)
Yeah, right. Like the Vampire can travel from one end of the Midway to the other in less than two seconds.

<sigh>... The ships can travel in kps... however, near other objects they slow to mps. This can be seen in the earlier games where the distance to target ships is given in meters, but the distance to a nav point, when selected, is given in kilometers.

TC

You sort of *have* to be slower around things like the Midway, because there's not as much hydrogen for you to scoop up... ditto when you're maneuvering, like in combat.

Same goes for asteroids? How do you explain how slow they are?

[No, I'm not being picky, just curious.]

[Edited by Wedge009 on 04-02-2001 at 01:55]

The speed gauge measures things in KPS *reletive* -- to other ships or fixed points... this is mentioned in just about every WC manual <G> Essentially, it's how fast it *seems* like you're going, compared to everyone else.

Err... but as far as I know, every single gauge in every real or Sci-Fi universe ever made shows relative speed...

That's what I don't understand. I know all speed is relative (heck, our world must be moving incredibly fast relative to the sun), but if you're going at 500kps relative to the Midway, you should pass it in under two seconds.

I think i get it, it seems like we're slowly going past the Midway because it is going so fast itself that it seems like were barely moving by it. When were moving 400 kps, its moving like 100 kps so there is a difference.

Well, that'd be speed relative to a nav point or some other external point, but 400kps is still too fast, and I don't think the Midway herself is a very fast carrier.

Maybe its seems like it takes so long to get to the Midway when going at it because it takes the light so long to get there? >grasping at straws<

Definitely grasping at straws. :)

But how fast does light travel? 3 million metres a second? I can't remember.

186 thou miles per sec, which means if something is 1 light year away, it takes 1 year to reach that point. Radio waves travel at the speed of light also, which means it would take 1 year for a message to go between point a and b if it were 1 light year away. Dont think I would want to wait around for that transmission from Alpha Centauri! (well over 100,000 light years away!)

RFB

Back