Technology gap between WC 3 and WCP

I suppose it is rather funny. But, if there's one thing we're good at, it's strainin' to do some explainin'.

Ah, the joys of Wing Commander. Maybe we should work up a set of Wing Commander physics...like Minovski physics.

(Hope there's another Gundam fan out there...)

Nep what did you think the main topic of this thread was?

(And yes, there are other Gundam fans here.)

I don't get why the Kilrathi ships are asymmetrical, though... because spacecraft have to be symmetric about their axis of thrust in order to fly in a straight line (yet another reason why I *HATE* Star Trek).

Originally posted by Supdon3
No they dont, not as long as the thurst is proportional to the mass on each side of the fighters.

However, in order to do that, the mass has to be equally distributed across the X and Y axes. And the easiest way to do that is to make the ship symmetrical.

However, I did oversimplify. I should have said "The ship's mass must be symmetrically distributed about the primary thrust vector, and the simplest way to do that is to give it a symmetrical silhouette." Happy?

[Edited by Iceberg on 04-06-2001 at 10:04]

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
Because the lasers don't travel at the speed of light -- they travel at a speed significantly slower than light, in order to inflict damage.

So.. a laser (Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission
of Radiation) in WC is light traveling slower than c?

How is that accomplished?

Respectfully,

Brian P.

In todays world, you can slow down light. It has been done many times. I'm not gonna go into details. Basically though, scientists are trying to figure out the ins and outs of light, and wheter or not we can travel at the speed of light. In the experiments, they managed to slightly decrease c.

And they've even stopped (or nearly stopped) light. Which means now we can all travel at the speed of light! :)

I heard somewhere that actually accelerating to the speed of light wouldn't be an o-so difficult task, but he said that they're not even attempting it because the problem is GOING the speed of light, it's surviving the acceleration.

Of course, this has nothing to do with the laser topic, but I thought i'd throw it in.

The "speed of light" and the "speed of light in a vacuum" are two different things. We can all move faster than the speed of light. However, noting can move faster than teh speed of light in a vacuum. Well nothing that is made out of information.

Iceberg, a spacecraft DOES NOT need to be symetrical to move in space. Hell, none of the prboes sent in real life were really symetrical. THe only problem is that you need to be symetrical in an atmosphere.

Actually, you are incorrect. Scientists have made specific particles move subsatntially faster than the speed of light in a vacum, it's called boring. I'm too tired and too lazy to explain it, but it has been done. It just has massive massive disadvantages that make it unfeasable for everyday use.

Zor, I am a scientist. I should of known about that if it were true. Can use tell where you found that out.

Physics. areospace/astrophycis if I'm I accepted for one of these NASA jobs I have applied to. :)

And Popular Science, you say.... :)

[Edited by Meson on 04-07-2001 at 02:50]

Back