Swarmer missiles

Hmm, fair enough, but fire/forget weapons by nature have so much tracking equipment that the warhead payload is not as strong as other missiles. But funny, anyone notice that the WCP/SO IRs were more powerful than one might expect? I mean, whereas in WC3/4 order of power would be DF, HS, IR, FF, Artemis IRs were way more powerful than FFs. Of course, they were supposedly incorporating alien tech...

Dumbfires in wc3/4 now they were exessive! Other then for the vesuvius , you don't need any torps in wcIV. Seeing as how you can use the flashpak on the vesuvius you can get through it without a single torp. b button and away :D .

Originally posted by Dekkar
Dumbfires in wc3/4 now they were exessive! Other then for the vesuvius , you don't need any torps in wcIV. Seeing as how you can use the flashpak on the vesuvius you can get through it without a single torp. b button and away :D .
You can take the VESUVIUS down with dumbfires as well. Fire a coupe off inside the hangar at the inner walls...boom!

Swamers also great when there's only 1 or 2 baddies around. It's realy fun to fire your swarmers at a Lamprey or a Skate. To bad your wingman don't say something like "Don't you think you overdid it ?". That would be so cool. Hey, maybe a idea for the next WC !

Firing Swarmers at Skates? That is indeed overkill, LOL.

And I found Torpedoes mostly superfluous in WC4. With the Stormfire you gun down a Destroyer faster than to wait for the torpedo to get lock and reach its target. Consequently I found the Avenger the most superfluous Fighter, I mean the Vindicator was more capable at delivering torpedoes than the Avenger which only carried 1 torpedo more.(and 2 missiles).
In WCP it is good to fire DF at Devil Rays when you are flying a Shrike because they really hurt.

Swarmers Rock

Swarmers are great, nothing better for blowing away bomber
clusters quickly. Lock range is a tad short, but still
would prefer to have more. As for torpedoes in WC4, I
always armed all torpedoes, shifter repair power to
shields, and hung back as the torpeodoes locked on. After
that, simply afterburn in, and blow the capship away.
Can never have too much firepower. :)

It adds more excitement. There is no risk in just firing a bunch of dumbfires. Trying to get a lock w/ a torp puts you in danger as a sitting duck.

The Truth Is

The truth is I loved the Morningstar, and Mace missile.
The thought of a nuke tipped dumbfire, just don't be too
close when it goes off. :)

Originally posted by Zor Prime
(...) There is no risk in just firing a bunch of dumbfires. Trying to get a lock w/ a torp. puts you in danger as a sitting duck.

Unless of course all the fighters around are already toast! :)
In that case, it's Capship doing "Quack! Quack!"... :D

And there's this little thing called "Maximum turret range"... :)

Since the issue was about getting a torpedo LOCK, you can safely be out of range, speed 0 kps, while doing that...

Now, delivering the "package" is another story... :)

Exactly

That's why I loved torp runs in WC3&4, you could arm all your torpedo hardpoints, and salvo the lot. That made only
one run necessary.

LOL AzraeL! :D

I remember in WC2... when doing that torpedo run in a Broadsword on that Ralatha (I think Angel was your wingman?), the capship had this nasty feature of firing "long-range highly destructive energy beams" at you, in a salvo of two...

The damn things luckily took long to recharge, but if by bad luck you heard the "shot sound" of the Ralatha firing them, during the torpedo run, you had to abort because those things chewed away half of your armor!!! :mad:

LOAF or anyone, do you know what those damn weapons are called?

I would imagine that they are Anti-matter guns, which seemed to be the capship weapon'o'choice in those days, except for the Connie's PTC of course.

I found one way to get past them was to start in fairly slowly at an angle to the capship (just keeping the torp locked of course) and hope that it fired. You would then have a reasonable chance of dodging the incoming while still maintaining lock. You could then get in and launch your torp before he could recharge.

Re: Answer

Originally posted by Cadestre
Anti-Matter guns. Damn things bypassed shields as well.:(
That's what I thought at first, but then in the Joans' Fighting Spacecraft issue of WC2, it says that those things could vaporize a fighter in an instant...

I know Broadswords have a pretty thick armor, but still, I would expect them to blow up when hit by those energy beams...

Perhaps the Anti-Matter guns on the Ralatha destroyer aren't so powerful? Or they have a anti-fighter version? :confused:

Back