Swarmer missiles

Mekt-Hakkikt

Mpanty's bane
Hello!

Is it possible to hit in WCP/SOPS with all Swarmers? Each time I release a flight of them, the mission log says 8 were launched and, no matter what I do, only 7 reach their target.
Am I incompetent or is it a bug? I really want to know because I really like the swarmers but cannot use them because they influence my mission statistics by not having 100% missile hits.

Some times (well, many times) one or two will miss, the missile lock is mantained by keeping the enemy in your main view.
As for 100% missile hits, its almost imposible to achive that, just be happy to have 95%.
The same for the guns (that shrike really lowers my hit ratio).
A good statagy is to use those missiles against slow moving targets (corvettes and bombers) at a medium range were you can keep those targets in your view for a very long time.

Sometimes few of the missiles will not hit, because they overshoot the target, and while they make a turn and come back the fighter is already dead from the other missiles.

Still, you shouldn't be concerned with having a 100% hit rate with missiles. Like Dragon said, it's practicly impossible (unless you only fire one missile per mission).

Exactly, I'd be more worried about protecting my wingman and not letting the Midway/Cerberus get any damage, than my gun/missile percentages.

I believe thats a problem with the percentage ratio in part determining your performance of a mission. Although it is good to be economical with missiles, I don't see the need to be economical with guns. Of course its great to have the best aim in your squadron, wouldn't it make people less willing to use guns and missiles if they're so concerned with percentages.

As was said, the important thing was the kill. That being said, I agree with the damage component as it costs a lot more to repair a fighter than wasting ordinance.

i don't care if my gun or missile hit is high or low in %. When the cat/bug is dead, i'm happy.

After your target moves out of view, turn to his position as fast as possible. When he comes in view again, the missiles will lock and he will get an full salvo in the belly of his fighter/bomber.

No need to be economical with Swarmers in this case -- all your missiles destroy the same target, so whether or not one of them hits is immaterial...

i love swarmers! the rush it gives you as you hear 8 small missiles, and the sound of the impact, oh man, i think i'm going for a spin in a wasp now...
:cool:

where did i leave WCP...

I really do not want to show off (really) but I always (almost)finish my missions with 100% missile hits. I just fire them at point black range or at ships without decoys.
(Before you ask: NO, I do not play on "rookie" but on "Hero" :) )
But to the problem with the swarmers: Even if I keep my target in-sight for all of the missiles flight I do not get 100%. Is it possible that they do blow up each other?
But getting in a bomber a high gun accuracy rating is IMHO impossible since your turrets fire automatically and they hit not very often and thus decrease your percentage drastically.

(Sorry it took me so long to reply but I was not present yesterday)

Funny, I'm sure shooting no missiles also give 100% accuracy. But I agree, that sucks trying to get 100% scores with the bombers. Those turrets...

Then again, you could just Ctrl-F12 them before they get into range... 0 shots fired, 0 missiles fired. 100% accuracy. :D

When you fire no missiles you get 0% accuracy listed.
But what for a view does Ctrl-F12 toggle? I know F12 toggles "Target Track cam".
(Sorry, I just did not get the joke <g>)

Never did like the swarm missles. They do seem very effective up close tho. Maybe a quicker lock time might do them some justice.

RFBurns

They do an awful lot of damage at close range that is for sure! But it is annoying that you have to keep your target in your sights.

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt
When you fire no missiles you get 0% accuracy listed.
But what for a view does Ctrl-F12 toggle?

That may be, but provided you get all the other mission objectives, you can get 100% this way. Only times when this doesn't work is when the Bonus objective involves shooting down a percentage of fighters.

So what, I like to cheat sometimes. :) Type dynomite in WCP or shoehorn in SO, and Ctrl-F12 away!

In fact, one of the last missions in WCP involves a two pronged strike. When your wing has to help the second task force, you can get 200% complete for one of the mission objectives, guaranteeing a 100% mission score. :)

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt
But it is annoying that you have to keep your target in your sights.

Annoying, that means they can't be fooled by decoys... I wish every missille had that.

Ok that is a clear benefit but I like Fire-and-forget weapons. Anyway as I always fire them at point-blank range (except Artemis at Lampreys, Stingrays or Skates) the bugs are not smart enough to drop decoys.

Back