Submitted Wing Commander to moviemistakes.com

Bandit LOAF said:
The whole death thing has been Angels 'story' -- she's cold and unemotional because she doesn't want the war to effect her. When people she really care about die, she reacts oddly. When Bossman is killed in SM2, she insists on blaming herself (to the point of writing to his wife claiming such) even though she had followed his orders. She basically broke down in front of Blair when Spirit died. The movie just takes it a step further, showing us how she 'survived' death before WC1.

Yeah...I can live with that explanation. And it certainly fits in well with her past, such as her parents being killed by Pilgrim terrorists and what such.

Bandit LOAF said:
Because spending millions of dollars to make a fifty year old C-list actor look okay in a cast full of twenty year olds would be a huge waste of money (G)?

Eh? I didn't think he looked that bad, but maybe I'm not remembering right. I'll need to see if there's anything current on Mark Hamil and get back to you.

I heard Mark Hamill's been doing a lot of voice actor work for video games and such lately....I got that from the Toronto Star, when they were talking about Child/Young stars (specifically, if Ashton Kutcher was screwed), which Mark was one of, so that's what it said.

Yeah. He played Wolverine (why not Hugh Jackman? He was on the cover), he played The Joker in Batman, The Guvyer, Star Wars games obviously, he's done a lot of things.

TheLowlyDog said:
I heard Mark Hamill's been doing a lot of voice actor work for video games and such lately...

IMDb is a great use of webspace, unlike many sites these days. Use it . . . love it. ;)

C-ya

Phillip Tanaka said:
Yeah. He played Wolverine (why not Hugh Jackman? He was on the cover), he played The Joker in Batman, The Guvyer, Star Wars games obviously, he's done a lot of things.

Interestingly enough, Mark Hamill has yet to put in a voiceover in any Star Wars game. And the reason Hugh Jackman didn't do the voice of Wolverine is because he is one of the top actors of the present time. Most movie stars wouldn't bother with doing their character's voice in a video game, and most video game companies don't even bother asking.

Hey, 3rd Rock From the Sun isn't there. Nor Rogue Squadran or Rogue Leader. I know he did voice work in Rogue Leader, lifted straight from the movie or not, and I'm certain he was in Rogue Squadran.

ChanceKell said:
Interestingly enough, Mark Hamill has yet to put in a voiceover in any Star Wars game.

Oh well, there goes my last post then. I guess the dialogue that appears in the movies wouldn't count, such as Rogue Leader, but how does that account for Luke's voice when there isn't anything gleaned from the movie?

Yeah, it's a shame. Sure, we can't have everything, but it would have been cool to have him in it. But they took out some characters in favor of Forbes, Gerald, Sansky, ect. But I think he's in the novel.

Phillip Tanaka said:
Oh well, there goes my last post then. I guess the dialogue that appears in the movies wouldn't count, such as Rogue Leader, but how does that account for Luke's voice when there isn't anything gleaned from the movie?

Dialogue from the Rogue Squadron series, X-Wing Alliance, Rebellion, etc., etc., is all read by a voice actor. The only games where Hamill's voice is taken from the movie are the original arcade games. Try looking up the games at the IMDb, a great resource.

(PS: Hamill's work in Third Rock from the Sun, along with other guests spots where he plays himself, can be found under the "Notable TV Guest Appearances" section of the front page.)

Really? Well, whoever played Luke in Rogue Leader deserves an award, as the actor who did thye voices on the Death Star Attack\Battle of Hoth are indistinguishable from the movie. If you have them, listen to Luke report in ("Red 5 standing by) in the game and then in the movie.

In what twisted universe would Mark Hamill have made a good Halcyon? Mark Hamill is as far away from hardass as humanly possible.

My Halcyon would have to be Michael Ironside. He's played nothing but hardasses (some with a soft side, most not) and he's a borderline B-list actor, so his take on a movie wouldn't put a huge dent in a budget.
If the WCM "was more of an attempt at securing a directing career for Chris Roberts" it seems to have done its job (with Roberts being a big part in the new Punisher movie), but I wouldn't think being in charge of a movie that went 40% over budget would be a great start to a directing career (I'm not sure how much control a director has on budgetary concerns but I'm guessing they have a pretty heavy hand).

C-ya

Phillip Tanaka said:

Actually, my buddy Bob Bergen does Luke's voice in most of the Star Wars games.

Bandit LOAF said:
In what twisted universe would Mark Hamill have made a good Halcyon? Mark Hamill is as far away from hardass as humanly possible.

Actually, he played a pretty damn good bounty hunter in a UK movie called Slipstream with Bill Paxton, Robbie Coltrane and Bob Peck.

slipst.jpg

BTW, does anyone here know that website where you make and post your own DVD commentary?

Viper61 said:
If the WCM "was more of an attempt at securing a directing career for Chris Roberts" it seems to have done its job (with Roberts being a big part in the new Punisher movie), but I wouldn't think being in charge of a movie that went 40% over budget would be a great start to a directing career (I'm not sure how much control a director has on budgetary concerns but I'm guessing they have a pretty heavy hand).
Eh, it's difficult to tell whether Roberts is doing anything important with the Punisher movie. He's an executive producer, which is one of those titles that have become almost meaningless. On some movies, executive producers are very important, but in most cases, it's the sort of title you give to someone who needs to be credited for some reason but hasn't contributed anything particularly noticeable to the movie. Besides, the Punisher movie only has a $30 million budget, according to IMDB, so it's not exactly a huge step up from directing Wing Commander :p.

Back