Submitted Wing Commander to moviemistakes.com

TC said:
Wait... that comment doesn't even make sense...

If anything, the WC Movie was the *least* 'money grubbing' product (sorry -- "scheme")... since there was pretty much never any serious hope that it would make any money. It was more of an attempt at securing a directing career for Chris Roberts.

The WC movie was better than most movies that I saw this year.

And I never saw the movie as a money-making scheme. It would never have made money...

I dunno... it just seemed like too much of a "I've got a lot of fans let's see them all go to my movie." Sort of deal to me. Like the new Star Wars. Just my opinion in the matter, could be right though probably wrong.

The fan base for a video game is insignificant compared to what you need to open a movie. If a million people play your game (which is *rare*), and then they're the only people who see your movie (and *all* of them have to see it!), you're talking less than a ten million dollar opening weekend -- which is bad.

Why?

I always asked myself, why Chris Robert had design the movie in such a way.

Was he on drugs?

Ok, the film is trash, but why he called it 'Wing Commander' (in tradition of game and novellas series)?

... yes, 4 years old questions.

I can only accept it as a Starlancer Movie.
(SL used same scenes)

Bandit LOAF said:
The fan base for a video game is insignificant compared to what you need to open a movie. If a million people play your game (which is *rare*), and then they're the only people who see your movie (and *all* of them have to see it!), you're talking less than a ten million dollar opening weekend -- which is bad.

I wonder how much money did the movie do? Not much I believe...

Plus, anybody know the budget of it?

I did the same thing when the movie came out.. I was totally pumped. The Episode 1 trailer was showing with it, and so that was a bonus.. and then that credit sequence with that music... wow, I almost peed my pants.

Unfortunately, it was all down hill from the time you see the actors onscreen. I had serious problems with the film.

1. The Pilgrim thing.. I thought it was a load of BS. Other people might have liked that aspect of it, but it wasn't for me.

2. Freddie Prinz Jr.. not that I don't like the guy, but he's no Mark Hamill. I understand why they didnt use the original cast, but they could have worked a little better on casting.

3. "you die, you never existed" I have totally failed to grasp this concept. Firstly, historically, people honor the dead by remembering them, so this is actually the opposite of reality.. but secondly, on a purely philosophical level, does it really make pilots feel better by saying "youre talkin bout a bloke who never existed"

4. the costiming was horrible.. this is not to say the costumes of WC3 and 4 were spectacular, but at least they didnt have buttons glued onto their shirts.. like that captain guy.

5. With a name like Taggart, the first thing I think is "french guy". oh, and Deveraux.. that makes me think "british chick".

6. The ship design was crap.. I mean the "Tiger Claw" what happened to the 's? and not only that, but its a giant metal cigar that splits in half.. It's not only a bad practical design, it's uninteresting to look at.. and what was up with those fighters? they look like someone welded some bathtubs together out of the junkyard.

5. I thought the kilrathi were cats.. apparently they are slimy slug creatures.

6. Does anyone know exactly why they were after the Navcom AI? Obviously they can jump, because they had to jump into vega to attack pegasus.

7. That pilgrim cross thing.. its got a bladeajigger that pops out of the end of it. Why was such a knife designed? What practical purpose does it serve out in space, where there is little or nothing to cut? How useful is it going to be against people with guns?

Well, thats just me venting. I was really disappointed in the movie, and that's a shame. I did a little DVD burning and created my own movie out of WC3 video sequences, and I showed it to various friends and family, and they said "why didnt they make that the movie? it was so much better!" even though the backdrops are insanely fake.

I think Chris Roberts hit is head on something right after WC4.

I don't remember the exact figures, but I think the budget was somewhere in the vicinity of $40 million. And, all things considered, the movie really wasn't the total disaster that we often say it was - look up Double Dragon on IMDB to find out just how badly video game movies can do :p.

I would imagine that by now, Wing Commander has earned back its budget - the trouble is, the producers don't see most of the money that a movie earns. They only get what's left after the distributors and everybody else have had their share. In order for the people who invested their money in the WC movie to get their money back, the movie would have had to earn somewhere around $100 million, which it most definitely did not.

Klaitu said:
3. "you die, you never existed" I have totally failed to grasp this concept. Firstly, historically, people honor the dead by remembering them, so this is actually the opposite of reality.. but secondly, on a purely philosophical level, does it really make pilots feel better by saying "youre talkin bout a bloke who never existed"

Yeah, that was a bunch of BS. Soldiers do not forget about peoplw who have died alongside them. Period. Richard Marcinko still remembers losing someone in Vietnam when he told about it in his biography, and he talks about losing fellow SEALS in his fictional follow ups; Howie Kaloey, Cherry Enders, they might not be grieved over like Mverick did over Goose in Top Gun, but it still affects them. Roy Bohem can still hear his shipmate's scream when he was taken by a shark. So as far as forgetting about someone who died, especially going out to avenge their death in the old testiment way, it's inaccurate to put it politely. And for Angel it's particularly contradictary. In the games she grieves over losing pilots and friends. Compare to the movie.

Yeah, it's *completely* inaccurate! It's nothing like how the *real* Belgian chick felt in the *real* space war with space cats.

(I'm also pretty sure every game with Angel takes place *after* the WC Moviel...)

True. But it sort of throws you for a loop because, this is just my opinion, but Angel in general, and the whole "you die, you never existed" bit in particular, seems out of character.

I disagree -- one of the things that they've *always* played up with Angel, be it with Bossman in SM2 or Spirit in WC2, is that she has trouble dealing with death.

Um...lemme think about that one for a moment. You mean how she is all horrid and bitchy because of Bossman's death? Yeah, I can see what you're saying there. Personally I think it's fun to watch her, kind of like the drill sergeant in Full Metal Jacket. And I would have loved to see her reaction when she is demoted to Space Force Captain. (Assuming the games are taken into consideration with the movie).

The whole death thing has been Angels 'story' -- she's cold and unemotional because she doesn't want the war to effect her. When people she really care about die, she reacts oddly. When Bossman is killed in SM2, she insists on blaming herself (to the point of writing to his wife claiming such) even though she had followed his orders. She basically broke down in front of Blair when Spirit died. The movie just takes it a step further, showing us how she 'survived' death before WC1.

I think I remember hearing that somewhere. I'll need to check up on that. But...why not Blair if he was involved with the movie. They were able to turn Sean Connery back into Bond, and Mark Hamil doesn't look too old to play Bluehair, so I think he would have been perfectly capeable of the role. Might have brought in some of the Star Wars crowd as well, with all of the Phantom Menace hype and fans might actually want to see Luke\Mark again.

Because spending millions of dollars to make a fifty year old C-list actor look okay in a cast full of twenty year olds would be a huge waste of money (G)?

(And yeah, it was Mark Hamill's voice -- which he did for free, hence the '?' in the credits.)

Back