[SPOILERS] Star Wars movie thread... [Don't read this thread if you haven't seen the movie yet]

I'm going with Ghost simply because of Abrams. IMHO, he has a way of screwing up how things have been established in sci-fi universes (Star Trek...Star Trek Into Darkness...looks like Star Trek Beyond too).

Been meaning to try out Alliance - I bought it in a bundle off of GOG a while back and haven't ever played it. How does it compare to X-Wing / TIE Fighter?

Been meaning to try out Alliance - I bought it in a bundle off of GOG a while back and haven't ever played it. How does it compare to X-Wing / TIE Fighter?

For me it's the pick of the bunch. Similar control system to the others, but a ton of new ships, better AI and every mission is packed with unique dialogue. It's very immersive. Rather than just being a rebel pilot, you start off as a privateer flying old Corellian craft, the story is engaging and designed to fit around Star Wars canon (except the last mission, but I'll let you find out about that).

Before playing, patch to the 2.02 update from LucasArts, then install the fanmade high-res texture mod - makes the game look so much better.

Han Solo will return with a crab body.

No, I don't think you can put much stock in the 'Harrison Ford must be in Episode VIII!' stuff; it's the loosest kind of technicality that the internet likes to glorm onto. :) (That is to say, no, Kathleen Kennedy wasn't going to spoil the movie's ending at an event a few days after it came out, even if that meant being technically wrong about a general statement.)

Thanks Loaf - now I have to explain to my kid what a Protoss is......

Before playing, patch to the 2.02 update from LucasArts, then install the fanmade high-res texture mod - makes the game look so much better.

Found the patch; where can I get the texture mod?

Last edited:
I've started playing X-Wing alliance again :) It's been so long; just wanted to fly a Corellian YT-1300 (like the 'Falcon) again.

You know what's great about Star Wars? It doesn't conflict in any way with the Wing Commander Universe. In my head, both happened/will happen.
Can't play XWA again without the graphic upgrade.

Definitely visit http://www.xwaupgrade.com

They're still actively making updated ships after all these years.

Last edited:
My current thinking on the Han Solo situation, is that I concede to what the others said earlier in this thread, that he is dead and may show up in flashbacks etc.

However, if Snoke is Darth Plagueis my feeling is that he may actually show up alive. I am not familiar with any of the books canon or non-canon, just what was said in episode III about Plagueis. It would make a lot of sense and tie all the movies together if Snoke is Plagueis. What does everyone else think about Snoke's identity? For me, this is the big question about episode VII.

GOG version of Alliance wanted me to insert the CD last night. Going to have to reinstall this morning (if I have time) and hope for the best; I've read where some folks are having issues with the GOG version and the graphics upgrade. For the record, I'm okay with clunky graphics - I've always felt how a game plays is way more important than how it looks...

Yeah, I was wondering about Snoke. First, trying to figure out what the crap the dude was actually called (heard "Smoke" more than once while I was listening to the movie - gimme a break; I've only seen it once). Second, why Lord Voldemort was now a villian in Star Wars. I'd also put money on him being a reincarnated Darth Plagueis, and possibly Luke going off on a quest to try to figure out how the Dark Side folks were able to "conquer" death when the Light Side folks should've been able to do it more readily, hence his disappearance (better reason than him just running off to sulk after Ren somehow killed off the New Jedi Order, rather than attempting to rebuild again, IMHO - of course, Luke always was kinda whiny...).

GOG version of Alliance wanted me to insert the CD last night. Going to have to reinstall this morning (if I have time) and hope for the best; I've read where some folks are having issues with the GOG version and the graphics upgrade. For the record, I'm okay with clunky graphics - I've always felt how a game plays is way more important than how it looks...

Are you using an older version? Darksaber has modified the new version of their Ultimate Craft Pack (v1.3) to be compatible with the retail, GOG, and Steam versions.

On the note of Han... what're the odds that Han is rebuilt (yes, built, seems like SW likes cybernetic reconstruction) as a masked enforcer under direct control of Palgueis? As a fellow Corellian I say, "Never tell me the odds."

After playing SWTOR I don't put anything past them. Harrison always did like trolling the masses.

Last edited:
Bringing Han back even if Snoke is Plagues would be a pretty big stretch story wise. The original Han was likely incinerated when the planet exploded, not withstanding the whole "impaled on a light saber and falling miles into a chasm" hurdle. It would be some pretty heavy Deus ex Machina to bring him back that way. More likely they could clone him, though evidently the First Order frowns on that, for stormtroopers at least.

However while I may have issues with Abram's directing, he's not one to cheapen his own story with unnecessary shop worn tropes. (he only uses the needed shop worn ones). Han's death completes his son's fall, for nothing is as irredeemable as patricide, in movies anyway. Thus creating the Ben Solo redemption arc which is a central theme in Star Wars. Further Ben-now-Kylo doesn't need Snoke to hang Han over his head, he's become the anti-Finn by quashing his doubts and embracing the First Order. No, Han is sadly toast, and if we see him again it will be flashbacks or a force ghost (and even that would be pushing it to my mind). The other possibility would be that he comes back as a hallucination to bedevil his son.

I agree that Han will be back, but only in flashbacks. He's not a jedi so no force ghost and he is definitely dead I think. The makn reason I say this is cuz I know Harrison has wanted Han's character to die since return of the jedi but Lucas wouldn't let it happen. So I think it was agreed in his contract that if Harrison came back to reprise the role of Han that the character would die in ep 7. I was sad to see it happen but no surpised, even if my jaw dropped when that light saber went through his stomach.
On another note, i thought ep 7 was fantastic. Watched it 3 times and it got better each time and that was surprising for me. So I think it has lasting power and hit all the right buttons. My only complaint is the whole Starkiller planet base thing. That was very unoriginal. I wish they would have not destroyed the base in ep 7 but mearly damaged it to the point where it needed time to reconstruct cuz now that the starkiller is destroyed it seems like nothing can top that in the next 2 movies. Can't wait to see Luke back in action in ep 8 though.
Also looking forwRd to Rogue One next year. Hopefully we get lots or dog fighting and awesome space scenes to remind us of the awesome x wing and tie fighter games.

I agree that Han will be back, but only in flashbacks. He's not a jedi so no force ghost and he is definitely dead I think. The makn reason I say this is cuz I know Harrison has wanted Han's character to die since return of the jedi but Lucas wouldn't let it happen. So I think it was agreed in his contract that if Harrison came back to reprise the role of Han that the character would die in ep 7. I was sad to see it happen but no surpised, even if my jaw dropped when that light saber went through his stomach.
On another note, i thought ep 7 was fantastic. Watched it 3 times and it got better each time and that was surprising for me. So I think it has lasting power and hit all the right buttons. My only complaint is the whole Starkiller planet base thing. That was very unoriginal. I wish they would have not destroyed the base in ep 7 but mearly damaged it to the point where it needed time to reconstruct cuz now that the starkiller is destroyed it seems like nothing can top that in the next 2 movies. Can't wait to see Luke back in action in ep 8 though.
Also looking forwRd to Rogue One next year. Hopefully we get lots or dog fighting and awesome space scenes to remind us of the awesome x wing and tie fighter games.
I agree and cant wait for ep 8 but im equally excited by rouge one, the director said he got guys from band of brothers, and saving private ryan to help out, and he said the movie is called star wars with an emphasis on WARS. We finally get to see what a real war in a galaxy far far away looks like with very little of the jedi/sith battle in it. Although I hope we at least get one scene of vader wrecking shop.

Agreed in the Vader thing. He should be in there somewhere since at this point in the story he doesn't know of his children being alive yet and isn't obsessed with it. He is simply an angry Anakin doing whatever Palpatine demands.

JJ confirms what I already thought what would happen in episode 8 and that is taking the story in a new direction here is the quote

“What was important for me was introducing brand new characters using relationships that were embracing the history that we know to tell a story that is new — to go backwards to go forwards. So I understand that this movie, I would argue much more than the ones that follow, needed to take a couple of steps backwards into very familiar terrain, and using a structure of nobodies becoming somebodies defeating the baddies — which is, again, I would argue, not a brand new concept, admittedly — but use that to do, I think, a far more important thing, which is introduce this young woman, who’s a character we’ve not seen before and who has a story we have not seen before, meeting the first Storm Trooper we’ve ever seen who we get to know as a human being; to see the two of them have an adventure in a way that no one has had yet, with Han Solo; to see those characters go to find someone who is a brand new character who, yes, may be diminutive, but is as far from Yoda as I think a description of a character can get, who gets to enlighten almost the way a wonderful older teacher or grandparent or great-aunt might, you know, something that is confirming a kind of belief system that is rejected by the main character; and to tell a story of being a parent and being a child and the struggles that that entails — clearly Star Wars has always been a familial story, but never in the way that we’ve told here.”

“Larry and I had a bunch of thoughts of where certain things could go and we shared those things with Rian Johnson, who’s directing VIII. He had things that he came up with where he asked if it was possible if we could make some adjustments with what we were doing at the end, most of which we did — there were just a couple that didn’t feel right, so he made adjustments — but it was just collaboration. We’re all fans and friends and supporters of each other, and there’s been no one cheerleading and supporting louder and more consistently than Rian on this, and I feel that I am grateful that I now get to take that position for him.”

this part right here show that johnson is prob really branching the story outward...
So I understand that this movie, I would argue much more than the ones that follow, needed to take a couple of steps backwards into very familiar terrain

While I agree with your sentiment completely. It is awful nice when you do get both. This is why great games like XWA, FS2 and Prophecy getting a loving community face-lift is all right by me :)

Yeah, I was wondering about Snoke. First, trying to figure out what the crap the dude was actually called (heard "Smoke" more than once while I was listening to the movie - gimme a break; I've only seen it once). Second, why Lord Voldemort was now a villian in Star Wars. I'd also put money on him being a reincarnated Darth Plagueis, and possibly Luke going off on a quest to try to figure out how the Dark Side folks were able to "conquer" death when the Light Side folks should've been able to do it more readily, hence his disappearance (better reason than him just running off to sulk after Ren somehow killed off the New Jedi Order, rather than attempting to rebuild again, IMHO - of course, Luke always was kinda whiny...).

Dude, if you can't get the texture mod to work, at least consider finding the patch that allows you override the 640x480 maximum resolution thing. Looks good with original graphics at 1080p.

Despite all the speculation, I don't think we're going to see anyone turn out to be "Darth Plagueis"; he's a throw-away line in a movie Disney doesn't especially want us to remember happened. No one is spending hundreds of millions of dollars to explain something that didn't go anywhere in the prequels :)

Has anyone downgraded XWA? My biggest complaint about those games was when they started slathering textures all over the previously beautiful simplistic 3D models.

Back