Space sim games (SW Episode II Spoilers)

Originally posted by LeHah
Blueclaw: I said, all the novels except Zahn's and Steve Perry's...

Wedge: I thought my already verbose hatred of Kevin J Anderson was well known on here already...

I was never very found of Kevin J Anderson, until I read the Dune Prequels(sp). Pretty amazing stuff there, but then again I don't know how much was KJA and how much was Brian Herbert.

Blueclaw: I said, all the novels except Zahn's and Steve Perry's...

Wedge: I thought my already verbose hatred of Kevin J Anderson was well known on here already...

I was never very found of Kevin J Anderson, until I read the Dune Prequels(sp). Pretty amazing stuff there, but then again I don't know how much was KJA and how much was Brian Herbert.

I don't see what's so amazing about them, they're just cheap action-prequels that capitalize on Dune's popularity to get them sold. They're totally predictable and very simple. But it's not like that ever stopped me from buying them...

The only Dune worth writing home about was Dune, which was an excellent book in more ways than I can count, but Herbert's follow-ups really tarnished the whole thing. Dune itself dealt with really cool things like superheros and the future and the nature of God, the others are all about nothing.

It's a real drag.

I thought the Dune prequels were fun... certainly more fun than Chapterhouse or Heretics.

As for the only *essential* Dune books... I was just thinking to myself last night that the Dune Encyclopedia is at least as good as the original novel itself...

I Like God Emperor of Dune as much as Dune, Chapterhouse and Hereticas aren´t boring just weird .
The prequels were fine but not so great.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
As for the only *essential* Dune books... I was just thinking to myself last night that the Dune Encyclopedia is at least as good as the original novel itself...

Everytime that someone write or say DUNE ENCYCLOPEDIA God kills Ghost´s soul :`(

Originally posted by Ghost
I Like God Emperor of Dune as much as Dune, Chapterhouse and Hereticas aren´t boring just weird .

Hmm.
God Emperor is probably the only one of the original books I haven't read.
Haven't touched the prequels, either, mind you.

Well, the only time I've noticed a Jedi using the Force to push someone is from across the room or at some sizeable distance.
We've never seen a Jedi get real up-close before this fight.

Considering Jango was just getting into Slave-1, Obi-Wan's fighter is on another platform at an unknown distance away and that, well, Obi-Wan is a Jedi and generally, no one screws with one, it makes sense that he jumped into the fray.

First point: Um Obi Wan and Darth Maul got real close to one another. And then there's Maul doing Force Push right in Obi Wan's face.

Second point: You're contradicting yourself.

All Jedi abilities aside, Jango jumped down on the battlefield, with a long range weapon in hand, against a bunch of people holding hand-to-hand weaponry. He could simply have opened fire from the balcony and saved himself some embarrasment.

Eh, my only problem with that assumption was after seeing both Ep. 1 & 2 (hell, even some with Luke! Go Mark!) of Jedi's deflecting blasts. I somehow doubt that Jango would have been able to jump past this. If your saying, even discounting that-then Jedi's wouldn't be a problem anyways. :)

Originally posted by junior
The "crazy Emperor resurrection idea" is actually from Dark Empire. That, the trashed Mon Calamari homeworld, and the Holocron, that are all found in the Jedi Academy books, are all elements that came from Dark Empire.
I know that, which is why it struck me as being odd that LeHah hates Mr Anderson so much, yet liked the story his Jedi Academy trilogy was seemingly based on.

Personally, I thought that Dark Empire was an okay story, but the simple fact of the matter was that I didn't think it fit with Star Wars.
From what I've heard, I don't think it fits very well either. That's why I felt the Emperor resurrection story was a bit crazy.

My reading is limited to Zahn's novels stuff, both Dark Empires, the Jedi Academy, and the first NJO book.
Everyone [interested in WC] should read Aaron Allston's contributions - two of his SW novels are from the NJO series (yet to buy them, but brief flick through shows his humour is still there). After all, he wrote Claw Marks. :)

Originally posted by Manic
[Jango] could simply have opened fire from the balcony and saved himself some embarrasment.
And, possibly, his life.

Originally posted by Skyfire
...Jedi deflecting blasts. I somehow doubt that Jango would have been able to jump past this.
Jedi aren't invulnerable. I've always wondered how they'd handle a smothering screen of blaster fire. I think their only sensible choice would be to take cover.

Originally posted by Wedge009

Jedi aren't invulnerable. I've always wondered how they'd handle a smothering screen of blaster fire. I think their only sensible choice would be to take cover.

While it may be true that some died, you don't count the big Jedi/Automaton fight at the end of Ep. 2 to be just that situation?

I know that, which is why it struck me as being odd that LeHah hates Mr Anderson so much, yet liked the story his Jedi Academy trilogy was seemingly based on.

Because Kevin J Anderson is a terrible, terrible author. All he wrote in the Star Wars novels were bigger super weapons than in his previous Star Wars novels. He was just a "Bigger Gun" guy.

The Hutts got a damned Death Star laser, for crissakes...

Just because there are elements from something else in his novels doesn't make me like it. He borrowed Captain Pelleon from Zahn's stories and I can't tell you my boiling rage at that move...

Skyfire, from what I could tell, about 9 or 10 survived, out of over twice that number. Those who survived were either really lucky, or really good with a lightsabre.

I've read that there were 100 Jedi involved in the battle on Geonosis. Since there were 10-20 still alive when Yoda showed up it seemed like most of them bought it. Though I'll admit it sure didn't look like there were 100 Jedi... And Manic the survivors survived because they were all damned lucky the clones arrived in time to bail their asses out.

That may be true, but taking the being good with a lightsabre theory-that still justifies my point.

Although I too didn't see that many Jedi in the fight. (Although that may have just been because of a chaotic nature of the screenshots.)

As I recall, there were about 20-30 I counted at the beginning of the fight, and about 10-20 at the end... Losses were relatively heavy, considering how much work it takes to train one of those jedi...

While it may be true that some died, you don't count the big Jedi/Automaton fight at the end of Ep. 2 to be just that situation?
I was thinking more along the lines of a single Jedi under a withering barrage of blaster fire from (supposedly) well trained stormtroopers. Blaster rifles seem to be relatively slow firing in the SW universe - for the sake of Jedi being able to reflect them with their lightsabres - I'd be interested to see what they'd do with genuinely rapid-firing machine-gun-style blasters or shotgun-style blasters bearing down on them. I'd just run, Jedi or not - you can't win against those odds. :)

Originally posted by Penguin
I've read that there were 100 Jedi involved in the battle on Geonosis... it sure didn't look like there were 100 Jedi...
...I too didn't see that many Jedi in the fight...
I think 100 sounds right. It was quite a large arena - hence the repeated exposition shots which our resident 'critic' despises so much.

As I recall, there were about 20-30 I counted at the beginning of the fight, and about 10-20 at the end...
You actually counted? I'm sure there were several more bodies on the ground than 10.

I saw a little snippet on TV about how they filmed that part with all the Jedi actors swinging blindly against a bluescreen background - Ewan McGregor made a comment on how difficult it is for some actors to interact with imaginary objects, especially with the film crew barely hiding their smirks at the actors' apparent foolishness. :)

Losses were relatively heavy...
Heavy indeed. I'm hoping that they only brought along the 'spare' Jedi and that there are still several Jedi dispersed throughout the galaxy on duty.

I saw a little snippet on TV about how they filmed that part with all the Jedi actors swinging blindly against a bluescreen background - Ewan McGregor made a comment on how difficult it is for some actors to interact with imaginary objects, especially with the film crew barely hiding their smirks at the actors' apparent foolishness. :)

I know from being on both ends of the camera, chroma key is hard!
The lighting has to be just perfect otherwise patches of blue or green or whatever your BG color is will show up. That means you need to have lights to compensate for every move the actors make because every time they move their shadows change the lighting on the background. Then the actors have to be positioned so that the scene makes sense, which is very hard and normally takes a lot of takes, although Lucas probably shot the actors than built the scene around them. Then you have to keep from laughing because yeah, anyone looks ridiculous fighting a screen.

I was thinking more along the lines of a single Jedi under a withering barrage of blaster fire from (supposedly) well trained stormtroopers. Blaster rifles seem to be relatively slow firing in the SW universe - for the sake of Jedi being able to reflect them with their lightsabres - I'd be interested to see what they'd do with genuinely rapid-firing machine-gun-style blasters or shotgun-style blasters bearing down on them. I'd just run, Jedi or not - you can't win against those odds. :)

Now that I would both concede to you, and REALLY like to see!

Everyone [interested in WC] should read Aaron Allston's contributions - two of his SW novels are from the NJO series (yet to buy them, but brief flick through shows his humour is still there). After all, he wrote Claw Marks. :)
Really?
Maybe, just maybe, I'll take a look, then.
:)
Think Episode 1. Remember when Qui-gon tries to break into the bridge on the Trade Federation battleship, and Obi-Wan is covering him? That comes to a screeching halt when a couple of Destroyer Droidekas come rolling up.

Back