Space sim games (SW Episode II Spoilers)

It's fun... but you can beat it in one night, and there's zero replay value. Buy it and return it. That's what I did.

I totally agree about the X-wing series, exept that XWA left you hanging after the Endor missions. It's like what are you supposed to do now? What about the uncle? I havent seen anyone try to add on to that by making up a finishing campiagn or something. One other sim i like is Independence War. that's a good game...a little on the weird side as you progress through the story. plus it's very hard.. harder than the original X-wing! I really cant wait for SWG. now there's gonna be some massive mulitiplayer action. Too bad there wont be one like that for wing commander or privateer.

Originally posted by Dark_Knight
I totally agree about the X-wing series, exept that XWA left you hanging after the Endor missions. It's like what are you supposed to do now? What about the uncle? I havent seen anyone try to add on to that by making up a finishing campiagn or something. One other sim i like is Independence War. that's a good game...a little on the weird side as you progress through the story. plus it's very hard.. harder than the original X-wing! I really cant wait for SWG. now there's gonna be some massive mulitiplayer action. Too bad there wont be one like that for wing commander or privateer.

Ya it does leave you out in the cold after Endor. Maybe they did that on purpose, and perhaps there was going to be an offical add on? Who knows. I remember the outcry to LucasArts to not abandon the game and to give authors the ability to modifity the game (OPT PROJECT). Still an excellent addition to the X-Wing series, but I think all can agree that hopefully one day, a miracle will happen and we all can have something new to shout about!

C'mon EA/OSI, PLEASE!!! ;)

RFB
The Anomalies Network TEM forum moderator

I thought XWA was a waste of time for all parties concerned. "Oh lookie, let's add colored lighting and texture filtering to X-Wing and call it a new game! Yippee, this kicks ass!"

No - it sucks ass.

They added more than just colored lighting and texture filtering, they added rudder control for the joystick, better resolution to the graphics, and a story with a PLOT! Plus the game has its own mission builder, well sort of, called "Quick Skermish". And, has light speed capability to go to different sectors.

The cockpit views are great too, especially with the add on cockpits and shiplist, which lets you fly anything in that game.

Still it doesnt match up to WC IMO, but a great series.

RFB
The Anomalies Network TEM forum moderator

XvT and XWA's graphics always kind of felt like nails on a chalkboard to me... like they were trying to slap better and better textures on models that shouldn't have textures in the first place.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
XvT and XWA's graphics always kind of felt like nails on a chalkboard to me... like they were trying to slap better and better textures on models that shouldn't have textures in the first place.

LOL!!!

I can see why some authors modified the engine exausts and such! They did look a little "nails on the chalkboard"! :D

Originally posted by Mystery muppet
Frosty: You seem to focus on graphics instead of what matters...
Actually, I believe my statement was meant to indicate that I thought the developers only focused on graphics instead of what matters.

The end of Tie Fighter was good
Grand Admiral Thrawn waiting orders from the Emperor just before ROTJ

The first Star Wars novel would have been the adaptation of the first movie in the late 70s... <G>

Sorry, I meant the first official non-movie Star Wars novel, ie Timothy Zahn's "Heir to the Empire". Ghost answered my question, anyway.

The first novel (aside of the movie novelization) was IIRC *Splinter of the mind´s eye*.
But i think that i know what are you thinking and yes, Lucas took the name Coruscant from the novel ;)

Alan Dean Foster's "Splinter Of The Mind's Eye" was the first spin-off Star Wars novel. "Heir To The Empire" didn't come out for well over a decade later.

As for the name of Coruscant, it is originally mentioned in "Heir" but one must remember, Zahn was under strict writing guidance by what he could and could not do. After all, Joruus C'boath was originally a mad clone of Obi-Wan Kenobi.

I'm sure Zahn asked Lucas/Lucasfilm what the actual name of "Imperial Center" was.

Okay, I've done a bit of reading about "Splinter of the Mind's Eye" - can't believe I never heard of it before. Heh, heh, Luke and Leia, that's gross.

Anyway, "Heir to the Empire" must have been the first for Bantam, or the first SW novel for a long time, because I remember the blurb making a big deal of it or something. Was there any SW novels released between Splinter and Heir?

I'm sure there was, I'm sure I have them, but I can't think of a single one. There was the Marvel Star Wars comics though...

The big deal about "Heir" was that:

1.) It was the first new Star Wars book in a decade.
2.) It took place after Return Of The Jedi.
3.) Immedeately after it came out, it shot to the #1 spot on the New York Times Bestseller list which prompted Lucas Licensing to whore out their warez to really shitty authors like K.W. Jeter and Kevin J. Anderson.

Back