Space sim games (SW Episode II Spoilers)

I really do not understand what you are talking about... I think I'll go and watch the movie before reading this topic again... ;)

Originally posted by Frosty
The Force is, one doesn't create it, one simply manipulates it. Losing a limb, or most of one's limbs wouldn't affect one's ability to control the Force and use it.
Of course. I was thinking too hard about it.

I would say the new episodes are less of a one-man-army type story, with the Jedi working together in battles.

My problem is that I got so used to Lucas/Spielberg/whatever movie with muppet monsters, whenever I see a CG creature, it looks fake, thus my ffeelings after Ep 1 and 2.

Besides the whole thing with Yoda looked incredibly fake(and it didn't help that the whole scene seemed like a joke since everyone in the theatre was laughing).

Episode II's CGI wasn't that bad since it was less blatant. Jar-Jar wasn't in every shot ("Look at us!" goes the CGI team in 1999, "We can do completely CGI characters now!") and since a far larger majority of the sets were CG'd, the rest of the CGI (Background Characters, Yoda, Natalie Portman's Wooden Acting Talent, etc) stood out less.

Visually, Episode II was outstanding... but as the years have gone on, I've become far less impressed with SFX. I'd rather see some old Ray Harryhousen "Clash Of The Titans" stop-motion again. There's something more real and more eerie about those skeletons in Jason And The Argonauts.

I actually didn't notice Yoda being computer generated in Episode I... and I was more in awe at Yoda's physical agility than laughing at him.

And ILM already made complete CGI character in 1997 - Jabba.

Heh, I remember those skeletons, now that is something to laugh at. :)

Special Edition Jabba was pretty ugly and thrown together. Speiberg's Jurassic Park looked better and that was from older tech.

Don't laugh at those skeletons. Those things are more evil than the common man can comprehend.

Go back and watch an old Star Wars movie -- I *thought* I was horrified by the CGI creatures... but then I went back and watched Empire... and *puppets*! It's not as great as you remember.

(Conversely, *don't*, if you want to keep those memories intact...)

My main issue with CGI characters is that they alsways look like they're wet.

As for the old muppets and prosthetics, yeah, there are some bad parts, like the blatant misuse of chroma key with a light background in the empire strikes back and the Rancor fight scene in ROTJ(you can see a thick black line around all of the rancor whenever he's in the same shot as Luke, but the muppets and masks seem more human.

DOy, they're not supposed to be human dummy. I still feel uneasy around CG characters though.

Backgrounds look so-so. characters still look fake. When I watch them i get the impression as though they're a substitute for a real actor which is an absolutely wrong thing to happen. They might cost a lot but they just look so cheap. Objects and explosions look realistic.

Nice to have a large british cast there, but the story is weak.

Yoda looks like a right fart. The group I was with couldn't stop laughing at his total p*ss take of the matrix (was that the idea?)
and it's very stereotypical and you know what's going to happen (e.g. Yoda turns up at the right moment? yeah right.

Watch Spooks on BBC 1 (things you expect don't happen which makes a nice change

Here's a tip, never let Shrek spend the weekend, he ruins the upholstery in all the furniture.

Yeah, its corny, but so was what you said.

I'm convinced that Yoda used the Force to bolster his physical martial prowess. If he's naturally that agile he wouldn't need the walking stick. Anyway following that reasoning, by enhancing his speed and agility Yoda was showing that Dooku still had a long way to go in terms of the mastery of the Force.

As for those skeletons that LeHah mentioned - that was a good fight because the hero didn't come up with some comeback miracle to defeat the skeletons. Instead IIRC he jumped off the cliff into the sea to get away. I'm almost always impressed by fights where the good guy doesn't really win. Guess that explains why Empire Strikes Back's lightsabre duel is my favorite out of all of them.

Wedge009: I'm fairly sure they used CG Yoda for only one scene in Ep I. The rest was the puppet.

I read an article, Yoda was all muppet in Ep1 except the scene at the end when he was pacing while talking to Ewan McGregor

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
...but then I went back and watched Empire... and *puppets*! It's not as great as you remember.
Was there anything in particular that looked really bad? Shamefully, I haven't watched the original Star Wars trilogy for several months... maybe even a year.

Originally posted by Wildshot
My main issue with CGI characters is that they alsways look like they're wet.
They're getting better (CG animators in general), especially with portraying fur.

Originally posted by Wildshot
...the Rancor fight scene in ROTJ (you can see a thick black line around all of the rancor whenever he's in the same shot as Luke...
There wasn't much they could do about that. I remember seeing a SW documentary about special effects where they were talking about how the infamous black line from optical compositing was tolerable in a space background, but was murder in the Hoth scenes. They reduced the opacity of the snowspeeder cockpit to compensate, but as a result, you could see the AT-AT through the cockpit.

Originally posted by Treguard
Nice to have a large British cast there, but the story is weak.
Episode II? There were Aussies too! :)

Originally posted by Treguard
Yoda turns up at the right moment? Yeah right.
The Force, mate, the Force. ;)

Originally posted by Penguin
I'm convinced that Yoda used the Force to bolster his physical martial prowess. If he's naturally that agile he wouldn't need the walking stick. Anyway following that reasoning, by enhancing his speed and agility Yoda was showing that Dooku still had a long way to go in terms of the mastery of the Force.
Agreed, that was my way of thinking too.

It was Yoda, IIRC, that made me really notice it.

I still think the model-based space battles are just as cool/cooler than the CGI ones, though...

I tend to prefer the space battle area of Star Wars - for a moment I thought there wasn't any in Episode II (loved the sound those seismic charges made). I think the 'prequel' episodes concentrate on the Jedi/political upheaval area, while the original trilogy - being primarily about the Rebellion's fight with only Luke, Obi-Wan and Yoda as Jedi - has more focus on space combat.

Originally posted by Wedge009
Was there anything in particular that looked really bad? Shamefully, I haven't watched the original Star Wars trilogy for several months... maybe even a year.
The one that really struck me as hideously bad was the weird garden-dwarf-like thing that co-pilots for Lando in The Return of the Jedi.

Back