Ships for UE2?

We're not planning on changing the Scim, Epee, and Dauntless over to Red markings instead of green, are we (while it may look interesting, quite possilbly good, I doubt the Dauntless would have time for a paint job :p ).

Originally posted by jammyo2k
Oh yeah, would it be possible to allow torps to target corvettes as well as capships? I know they can be taken out with normal guns but being unable to use torpedoes has been a fairly widespread grudge.
There doesn't seem to be anything we can do to enable the firing of torpedoes at corvettes.

As for the colour of existing ships, Michael, we can retroactively recolour ships in UE1 if we want to prevent the question of when they got repainted :p. Of course, this would only be an option for ships that don't appear in pre-rendered images or cutscenes, since those would require too much effort to change.

...But if we ever see the Dauntless' sister ship, the BWS Invincible... ;)

Is the following possible:Same Class Fighters,CapShips with a bit different Markings and paintings....all simutenously (<--spelling?)
in there.....

Eg. I could fly a Scimitar with different Paintings than my WingMan..

If its possible (hey,maybe Im saying stupid things,I dont know anything about these:p ) it would be cool

Originally posted by Quarto
There doesn't seem to be anything we can do to enable the firing of torpedoes at corvettes.

What if you decide to use one of those different engines? (starshatter, etc.) Will it be possible then?

...But if we ever see the Dauntless' sister ship, the BWS Invincible...

Out of curiosity, what was the name of the Invincible when it was Confed´s property?

Originally posted by TCSTigersClaw
Well,RapierIV with Vipers and lasers ?? I think its too much....

Also,about the Raptor Shields.....Hey!!
Its is old ,but its still a Heavy Fighter....So if it is taken by the BW they should make it a modern Heavy Fighter ,with Shields for Heavy Fighters.!So it must have a lot more shields than the Scimitar.

Well if Viper/laser is too powerful, then just the Viper cannons alone will do (mainly because I would like to see this ship capable of damaging capships like the Scimitar is). However, if having capship-penetrating guns is not on the books for it, then 2 Ion/2 Particle would be good instead (I am envisioning the Rapier IV to be slightly inferior to the WCP Panther here).

As for the Raptor, I am trying to imagine it being in a similar relationship to the Scimitar as in WC1, but I wouldn't want it to be so much superior to the Scimitar that you would unquestionably choose the Raptor when given the choice. Thus, the Raptor would have a bit less armor but heavier shields, a bit more speed, and a somewhat better missile loadout, but would not have the shield-penetrating Viper cannons. This would make the Scim prefereable for anti-capship missions.

Raptor is a different type of ship...Bombers have more shields/armor/guns etc than Medium Fighters...That doesnt mean that we choose (when we can) bombers to fly instead of Fighters!
You know What I mean ? Back in 2654 there was no need for Bombers.Raptor was a heavy Fighter.I think that in 2681 (if there are still some) they would take tha role of a "light bomber" just like Thunderbolt.

Originally posted by jammyo2k
How about a BW corvette? The WCP manual mentions the TCS Brack although it doesn't mention what class it is (at least I can't find it, I could be wrong). The Venture class from WC1 is pretty elderly by now so it may be that Confed has replaced it with something a bit newer. As the border worlders have a lot of space to cover with not much cash it could be that they woulf work out as a low-price solution. I'm not suggesting that they could be flyable by the player but it could provide a bit of extra scope for storyline. A bit of re-imagining of the Venture class may be necessary to make it fit with what we think of as corvettes in WCP (maybe add some turrets and some torps).

Oh yeah, would it be possible to allow torps to target corvettes as well as capships? I know they can be taken out with normal guns but being unable to use torpedoes has been a fairly widespread grudge.

Hmmm...I would imagine the Venture as having four dual laser turrets (dorsal portside, dorsal starbord, ventral portside, ventral starboard) and two missile turrets (one dorsal, one ventral), and pack a few torps.

As for the inability to lock torps onto corvettes, this is a result of corvettes being classified as fighters by the game engine instead of being classified as capships. You could classify them as capships with only the bridge component (no separate engine component), but that would mean that the corvette would then possess phase shields and thus be immune to damage with ordinary guns and missiles.

Essentially, the game engine views capship attributes and fighter attributes as being mutually exclusive. That means that if you made the game recognize corvettes as capships, then the corvettes could only be damaged by anti-capship weapons (torps and Viper cannons in the case of UE).

Raptor is a different type of ship...Bombers have more shields/armor/guns etc than Medium Fighters...That doesnt mean that we choose (when we can) bombers to fly instead of Fighters!
You know What I mean ? Back in 2654 there was no need for Bombers.Raptor was a heavy Fighter.I think that in 2681 (if there are still some) they would take tha role of a "light bomber" just like Thunderbolt.

Hmmmm. Good point. Well, between the Vindicator and the Raptor, one of them ought to be the new light bomber (carry four light torps or something). Anyway, I am trying to think of game balance in this case--what would make you choose the Scimitar over the Raptor if allowed the choice? I would like to see the Scimitar be superior at something, whether it be armor, speed, agility (speed and agility are unlikely since the Scim is near the bottom of the range for both), gunpower, missiles, anti-capship power, or whatever.

Is the following possible:Same Class Fighters,CapShips with a bit different Markings and paintings....all simutenously (<--spelling?)
in there....

Yep, it's possible, but you have to make each of the different paintjobs a different ship (Like what you do when you want to have 2 different loadouts in SO for instance, each of them is treated as a different ship). In Standoff for example there are quite a bunch of CVE models that only differ in their textures (because of their name and number, and some because of having Landreich markings instead of Confed markings) so it's really too much work to put on fighters.

--Eder

Originally posted by Ijuin
Hmmmm. Good point. Well, between the Vindicator and the Raptor, one of them ought to be the new light bomber (carry four light torps or something). Anyway, I am trying to think of game balance in this case--what would make you choose the Scimitar over the Raptor if allowed the choice? I would like to see the Scimitar be superior at something, whether it be armor, speed, agility (speed and agility are unlikely since the Scim is near the bottom of the range for both), gunpower, missiles, anti-capship power, or whatever.

They are different type of ships.......Different roles....
You wont need to chose my friend :)

Originally posted by Starkey
What if you decide to use one of those different engines? (starshatter, etc.) Will it be possible then?
Probably, though it's difficult to tell without actually touching them.

Out of curiosity, what was the name of the Invincible when it was Confed´s property?
Well, I don't think I've ever thought about that. It probably wasn't the Wolfhound, though.

TCSTigersClaw: yeah, it is possible to have two fighters which have the same or similar stats but have differently textured models (for example, there's no reason why the YA-1J should look exactly the same as the A-1H). However, this is kind of a waste of time, not to mention that having too many fighter types in the game causes trouble (and in this case, even though they'd just be two copies of the same fighter, they would be two different fighter as far as the game's concerned).

They are different type of ships.......Different roles....
You wont need to chose my friend :)

Ok, that is good. Anyway I do think that the Raptor should fit the light bomber/heavy fighter role, especially if the Vindicator is not used as a light bomber. Since the Raptor won't be in competition with the Scimitar, then I will revise my proposed stats to 440/1200 kps, agility same as Scimitar, 260/260 shields, armor same as Scimitar, 2 Ion/2 Mass Driver guns, 4 DF/4 HS/4 FF/4 Light Torp. This would make the Raptor a slightly lighter, faster counterpart to the Grathra that we got to fly in UE.

As for the Rapier IV, what guns DO you intend for it anyway? I like the Viper cannons for their ability to penetrate phase shields, but 2 Ion/2 Particle would be good too...

Originally posted by Ijuin
As for the Rapier IV, what guns DO you intend for it anyway? I like the Viper cannons for their ability to penetrate phase shields, but 2 Ion/2 Particle would be good too...
Well, it's classified. I mean, I could tell you, but... ;)

Speculate all you like about ship stats, but don't be surprised if you eventually find your speculations off the mark :p.

Well, it's classified. I mean, I could tell you, but... ;)
What were the Rapiers in the Easter Egg armed with? I would have noticed but I was too busy trying to keep my Scim from getting tore up by whatever they were using. :)

C-ya

Originally posted by Lynx
Two lasers and a dumbfire like in the good ol' days! :D

Heh. That was the Hornet--only ship in all of WC that had thinner shields and armor than the Epee.

Seriously though, 2 Ion/2 Mass Driver seems good for the Raptor, and 2 Ion/2 Particle for the Rapier.

Back