Secret Missions 2

Jazz says that your batting .500 is better than nothing at all.

------------------
There is no God but myself. No destiny but what I deem for me. I walk my path and no others, for I am free.

http://www.ntr.net/~vondoom

Yes... I... understand... that... part.

What I want to know, is where does the actual phrase bat 0.500 come from. To make myself better understood - I have never heard anybody use that phrase in real life.

Quarto said:
Yes... I... understand... that... part.

What I want to know, is where does the actual phrase bat 0.500 come from. To make myself better understood - I have never heard anybody use that phrase in real life.

Baseball. You bat .500, meaning you hit half of you presences in front of the pitcher, and you get striked out the other half of the time. Sorry, I only know the french names for baseball rules, so I can't be more precise... but you get the idea.

Bandit LOAF said:
To note, actually batting .500 in baseball would be very, very good (G)

... and I think that's why Jazz says : "Nothing wrong with bating .500 I guess" to be ironic.

Ah, baseball. That explains why I didn't know it
smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Americanisms always bother me too.

I remembered that the speech files in WC2 are mono 8 bit 11khz raw sounds. If you've got a program which can handle such ancient data, you can hear the cutscenes and communications speeches. For those people who couldn't get speech to work on their machines. I think the comms are communic.s?? files. Troubles is, most of the SO1 speech seems coded. Ah, never been good at looking into files anyway.

Well once the world is just a planet wide version of America, it won't be a problem anymore.
smile.gif

Step One, replace soccer (not a real sport) with baseball
smile.gif

Baseball's got to be the most boring sport invented. I mean, you have to sit in a line for half the game.

Basketball's a fun sport, no waiting, and your reflexes and agility actually matters when you play. Soccer's fun too, specially when you play on ice
smile.gif

Shane said:
Step One, replace soccer (not a real sport) with baseball
smile.gif
Thou cn't be serious. Soccer is so much better than baseball. Not that I don't like baseball, but games where there's almost no action for a few minutes, and than someone finally manages to hit that damned ball or gets a homer definetly aren't the most interesting.

Actually, cricket is a much, much more boring sport than baseball. The two games are very similar, but in cricket, a match lasts all day.

Some cricket matches last several days.

Honestly with games like cricket and golf that are so time consuming - don't watch it, play it.

Yeah, okay....

I've never played cricket though, so I don't know much about it. It looks a lot like baseball with a flat bat though.

Golf's also one of those really boring sports

Err, I'm not a very sporty type person, but I don't think cricket is all that similar to baseball. Cricket season is starting again here, but I'm only decent at playing tennis. I think some sports can be okay to play, but immensely boring to watch.

Exactly, people don't play Baseball to catch flies or field the ball. They do it for the challenge of hitting a 100mph fastball with a tenth of a second to react in. That alone makes Baseball one of the most challenging sports. But to watch, give me basketball or something in which scoring is easier and happens more often. I don't consider golf a real sport because they ask (ASK!!!!!!!!!) for total silence and no flash photography. Try asking that at a Baseball, Basketball, Football, or Soccer game where you have 30,000 people screaming and thousands of cameras going off. Now that is a challenge, not hitting a none moving ball. Next thing you know they'll call shooting fish in a barrel a sport
smile.gif

------------------
There is no God but myself. No destiny but what I deem for me. I walk my path and no others, for I am free.

http://www.ntr.net/~vondoom

Cricket is absolutely nothing like baseball except it has bats, a ball and running.

TC

------------------
CAG of the Blacklance HQ
"Canadian and proud of it"-TC
You are in no way entitled to any WC games, if you don't have them its your own damn fault.

Cricket season is starting again here,
Yes, unfortunately. Ah, well... I lived through the months of agonising TV coverage before, I'll live through it again. All in all though, I prefer the rugby season - rugby is somewhat more interesting to watch, and the game only lasts 90 minutes
smile.gif

Baseball is an elegant sport, unlike the chaos that is Soccer, which I loathe. However, my favorite sport has to be footbal, particulalry the college variety. Even more particularly Big Ten football and Ohio State, my alma mater. I know LOAF seems to think the Big 12 knows something about football, too
smile.gif

The sport I'd most like to see is Qidditch from the Harry Potter novels. I don't know if you have read them, but they are a riot.

[This message has been edited by Shane (edited October 06, 2000).]

Back