Scariest moment

Originally posted by junior
Er...

Deep space provides the ultimate form of navigation. The stars are easily visible, with no intervening sunlight to keep you from seeing them.
Navigators used the stars for hundreds of years before the invention of computers, and there's no reason they couldn't use them again.
A bigger problem is that if your computer died, there'd be a very good chance that your life support would be on the way out, as well. Keep that in mind.

and I guess thats why Chris Roberts added the Pilgrims to the universe in the movie.

Hmm. Junior I didnt think of that, about navigating with stars. But hear this too.

The Galaxy is Huge! A single person cant read the "star map" from every corner of the galaxy. What we see from Sol Sector is different from eg Vega !

Else they wouldnt need maps :)

About life support ofcourse you are correct.

The fact is that we cant compare WW2 filight with WC one ..

understand SpaceInvader ?? I know that in ww2 they had no shields when they were flying , but its not the same thing ;)

I agree it is not something you can compare when figuring the difference in years that these wars take place. (also the fact that wc is fiction and not real. though I hope that when are technology get to the level of the WC, Star Wars, and Star Trek that we take some inspiration from their ships and technology but I doubt it would happen.) I recently saw another site with a list of humorous you might be a redneck type lines towards the wc universe, one of the lines I like best is "when we actually achieve wc type technology you hope that they put a mouse, keyboard and a joystick in to control it." the quote is not the exactly how he phrased it but it is funny to me anyway.

Wc technology and Ship design I think are more realistic than StarWars and StarTrek techs .

Thats why I like it so much! Its more.....possible than the others

yes I also agree that the wc ships and technology are very realistic but we have to figure in alot of possibilities between then and where we are now. so who knows what we see we can see space craft resembling all of the different sci fi universes or something we never thought of time will tell though.

Not quite. For the forseeable future, we're going to sit around dreaming instead of doing.

that's true. if we had put our mind to it, we could've landed on Mars by now. as it is, we barely have a space program.

Originally posted by Aries
that's true. if we had put our mind to it, we could've landed on Mars by now. as it is, we barely have a space program.

i saw a show on i think tlc about the fact that there was a plan to use nukes to move a ship around the silar system in i think 10 years going from mercury to pluto and back to earth.
this was in the 50's or 60's but a treaty banning nukes in space ended the project.:(

Originally posted by Battler Hawke
i saw a show on i think tlc about the fact that there was a plan to use nukes to move a ship around the silar system in i think 10 years going from mercury to pluto and back to earth.
this was in the 50's or 60's but a treaty banning nukes in space ended the project.:(

Yeah, that one was called Project Orion. It was supposed to use one-kiloton fission bombs or something like that, and could make the round trip to Jupiter and back in under a year. More recently, the idea was revived in the Project Daedalus concept, in which it uses tiny (smaller than a marble) pellets of deturium/tritium to produce fusion reactions instead (without the danger of spreading contaminants that made so many people afraid of the Orion concept).

Random thoughts...

Two more things I thought were quite scary for some odd reason:
  • Wilford shouting at Casey for attacking the Kilrathi with Hawk
  • Midway committing suicide in Alcor

My scariest moment was probably when I was playing the last mission of WCIII. I skipped through the briefing and I didn't catch that I had to cloak before going to the navpoint. I fighting infinite waves of ships for about an hour.

That happened to me once (ok a couple of times) but the first was the worst. I lasted a while, but to no avail. Personally, I think that the worst part of that is when you mean to engage cloak but you get so caught up in combat that you forget. That's not so much scary as annoying. :mad:

Having target lock on a opponent and one on my six afterburning after the baddie I go to hit enter and I hit another key instead overshooting my target then getting blown up near the end of the mission. Damn these laptop keyboards and there small layout and damn origin for not letting me remap the missle key to spacebar as I can fire with my mouse.:D

Most of my scary moments come because I'm not a defensive flyer. In WC1 and 2, I often end up sheering off all my guns, leaving me with nothing but missiles. Sometimes, all I've got left is a Chaff Pod. In a bomber, it's tough as hell to get home again since you have no afterburners.

Otherwise, any time a missile is fired at me in WCIV, I'm scared as hell. One-hit kills, y'know.

Originally posted by LeHah
Steal this movie!

I think I saw that movie. Its been on the a bunch of the Cinamax channels this month, but what are you refering to by that comment? :confused:

On another topic though I think I have to change my scariest moment to the fact that alot of tv shows have been refering to armaggedon lately. (I'm refering to Buffy, Angel, Twilight Zone, Charmed and the such. I know that they all deal with the supernatural and Buffy and Angel are made by the same man. But I'm wondering why all the talk of this at about the same time.) I'm not crazy or anything I just get freaked out by the fact they are tackling the same topic at the same time. Plus I just saw a real freaky occurance two months ago I saw a orange to blood red moon, the other day I saw it again though it wasn't as blood red but I saw the full moon again and then again like five days later (last night) which I know can happen I just didn't know that it could happen this soon as I was told 2 full moons when they do happen have about 15 days apart. I have also seen a story on true satanic worshippers as well on the news around holloween. The shit has freaked me out a little lately. :eek:

Back