Scariest moment

Originally posted by Wedge009
Thrakhath. See, that's why you're supposed to pay attention to mission briefings. ;)

Ah yes, too true. I would have saved myself some trouble. Still, the dogfighting was good practice.

Oh, and thanks for the name reminder (for Thrakhath). I started messing around with WC2 again yesterday, and it mentioned his name. I really need to play more often...

I think that the scariest part in Wing Commander is during WC4 when you are in the council chamber and confronting Tolwyn. You finally see how insane that guy has become. The scary thing is that there are really people like that in the world.

Tolwyn wasn't really insane. He was definitely a radical and a reactionary but no insane man could pull off such a conspiracy as the Black Lance.

I didn't mean insane as in bouncing off the walls mentally ill. I meant insane as in psycopath.

Originally posted by Aries
I think that the scariest part in Wing Commander is during WC4 when you are in the council chamber and confronting Tolwyn. You finally see how insane that guy has become. The scary thing is that there are really people like that in the world.

The thing about Tolwyn is that, if he hadn't tripped himself up like he did or he didn't use some of the tactics he used, could well have been seen as, and possibly have been true to himself as another leader who is taking proactive measures, instead of reacting to incidents. He, I believe, would thrive under a Hobbes government. Thomas Hobbes, for those who don't know, was a philosopher who believed in dictatorship and that the King (President, Leader) is God. And I may well be treading on thin ice here, but we may actually see elements of Tolwyn, and The Price of Freedom, in real life leaders and the real world.

I bet he would love a dictatorship as they are traditionally the friendliest to the military and in Fleet Action, if ya'll remember, Tolwyn was sorta-kinda debating the evils of democracy with his mentor, Admrial B-something.

Admiral Banbridge.

Tolwyn's heart was in the right place, as is evidence in the WCIV novelization. It was his methods that are terrible.

Originally posted by Aries
I didn't mean insane as in bouncing off the walls mentally ill. I meant insane as in psycopath.
Psychopaths don't know the difference between right and wrong. Sociopaths don't care about the difference between right and wrong, but they do know there is one.
Thusly, Tolwyn was a sociopath.

Originally posted by LeHah
Admiral Banbridge.

Tolwyn's heart was in the right place, as is evidence in the WCIV novelization. It was his methods that are terrible.

oh. haven't read the book so all I know is what i've seen in the game

Originally posted by Manic
Psychopaths don't know the difference between right and wrong. Sociopaths don't care about the difference between right and wrong, but they do know there is one.
Thusly, Tolwyn was a sociopath.

it was one of those two :D

I have to say In wc2 when you and doomsday go on a mission to a system by yourselves and no back up to destroy some ship. You either beat and survied the mission or you died and failed you couldn't even eject cause your help was out of reach. If I recall Doomsday died in that mission or maybe that was only for me and I had to do it by myself massivily outmanned and outgunned

What about this: In Wc4 , Peleus! You get your ass kicked with no Radar and Shields! Specially in Nightmare!

Imagine that if it was for real! Fly with no missles (except dumpfires),no shields , no radar....

Scary!!:eek:

this is a little off topic but the two posts before me mention the dumbfire:I have a question relating to dumbfires why still use them I know there probably the cheepest to make but you would think they would have been moddified a bit since the beginning of the wc saga like say you fire them but they have a real short term guidance chip which is crappy where you shoot it and it goes straight like normal but if it gets real close and the enemy suddenly moves it activates the chip to alter the course and follow like a heatseeker for say 5 secs. if it hasen't killed it's target by then it returns to normal and detonates (note: it would have to be extremely close to do this otherwise it mantains its normal dumbfire status.) I say this cause most slow moving targets that you can use the normal dumbfire on are to heavily shielded to damage the ships. Trying to use a dumbfire on a fighter is near impossible for me cause of the fact I play by mouse and am quite good but always lose the pilot in directly front of me trying to hit the enter button to launch my missle. Plus I know not to try even using a dumbfire on a fighter unless I'm riding its ass. So its just a waste of missle bays that screws up my stats when using them. do you think that my modded idea version of a new more reliable (not completely but more useful than before) would still be classified as a dumbfire and be a good Idea?

While computers are generally small, sensors that are capable of defeating EW and actually hitting their targets are not... Dumbfires are able to hold larger warheads because they lack a sensor suite and computer.

I never use dumbfires on fighters. when i carry them, which is only when i have to (Peleus) or when i don't get a choice of weapons, i use them only on capships.

They did someting kind of like that with some of the rocket packs in Prophecy (I can't remember the name, Dragonfly or Mosquito I think). The warheads on those were pretty puny. But you did have a LOT of them.

Originally posted by SpaceInvader
Ever heard of a little incident known as World War II?

Hey buddy, In WW2 they were not flying in deep space with almost no navigation...:mad:

In WW2 they were not depending their lives (in war) in electronic systems!
We do now, and we will continue to do that (even if personally I dont like it). Your Electronic Systems being jammed is the worst can be! specially in the future! Is like flying with no engines and guns in the WW2:mad:

Originally posted by TCSTigersClaw
Hey buddy, In WW2 they were not flying in deep space with almost no navigation...:mad:

In WW2 they were not depending their lives (in war) in electronic systems!
We do now, and we will continue to do that (even if personally I dont like it). Your Electronic Systems being jammed is the worst can be! specially in the future! Is like flying with no engines and guns in the WW2:mad:

Er...

Deep space provides the ultimate form of navigation. The stars are easily visible, with no intervening sunlight to keep you from seeing them.
Navigators used the stars for hundreds of years before the invention of computers, and there's no reason they couldn't use them again.
A bigger problem is that if your computer died, there'd be a very good chance that your life support would be on the way out, as well. Keep that in mind.

Back