Running Privateer 1 on Windows ME

Go to Control Panel, then to Add/Remove Program, there you will see something like STARTUP DISK, and Voila, create a disk.

First which OS are you planning to run P1 on? Win9x or ME.

[Edited by Johnl12 on 05-28-2001 at 01:54]

I gave up on you. Could you try to come back here more offen. Post your autexec.bat, config.sys and dosstart.bat. What sound card do you have?

Sorry, curently working two jobs not alot of time to get on. I already posted my autoexec but what is dosstart?

Trouble with Privateer on ME

I have a question. I made a startup disk for windows ME. When I boot to DOS and type mem. it says that I have 610k of conventional memory. But when I try to run privateer it says that XMS is to high and that I need to reduce XMS memory usage or load a memory manager. Here's the real problem. When I edit the config.sys to load EMM386 the computer locks up when it gets to loading EMM386.
Any ideas?

HOw I got it to work on Windows 98

So here is how I run privateer. It may not work on windows ME, but I know it works on 98. THe important part is the RAM on autoexec.bat, and the devicehigh for the CD-Rom driver I didn't even make a boot disk to do it. I installed privater from windows dos prompt. Then I made a shortcut to it. I selected MS-DOS mode and specify a new MS-Dos configuration

then I modified the autoexec.bat and config.sys windows

Here is my autoexec.bat

PATH=c:\Windows;c:\Windows\command

REM-----FOllowing line is for CD
REM-----Change these to fit your configuration
c:\Windows\command\mscdex.exe /d:mscd001

REM------Following line is for the Soundcard
REM-----Change these to fit your configuration
SET BLASTER=A240 I10 D0 H7 P330 T6
SET CTSYN=C:\WINDOWS
C:\PROGRA~1\CREATIVE\SBLIVE\DOSDRV\SBEINIT.COM

Here is Config.sys

REM--Important thing here is DOS=HIGH, UMB
REM--Also Important is devicehigh for the cd-rom driver
REM--you may need to make a windows boot disk and copy REM--oakcdrom.sys to the C:\windows\command
REM--EMM386.exe was changed from NOEMS to RAM to utilize
REM--Ram in your computer for extra space. That helps, REM--especially on higher ended systems
DOS=HIGH,UMB
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE 4096 RAM
DEVICEHIGH=c:\Windows\command\ebd\oakcdrom.sys /d:mscd001

All that I do to play the game is click on the shortcut and it reboots into my configured dos mode. It took me 4 or 5 hours of sifting through stuff on my comp to install dos drivers for my soundcard and other stuff. I finally found a solution when I found an MS-DOS MODE FOR EMS AND XMS SUPPORTED GAMES, and cut from there what I needed. I figured out the ram when privater gave me an error message that it couldn't find ems drivers. Hope it works for you and if you think that this dumbass can help anymore, then email me @ arcadian15@hotmail.com

[Edited by arcadian15 on 06-19-2001 at 21:35]

WinME does not support DOS! The easiest way to get DOS games to run on a WinME machine is to use a "Win9x Startup Disk" not a "WinME Startup Disk". The files on a "Win9x Startup Disk" will work. The trick is to run the HIMEM.SYS and EMM386.EXE off the floppy. Example:

DEVICE=A:\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=A:\EMM386.EXE

Example files for P1:

-----------Autoexec.bat-------
IF ERRORLEVEL 1 PAUSE
echo=off
SET PATH=A:\;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND;C:\PROGRA~1\CREATIVE\SBLIVE\DOSDRV;C:\PRIVATER;
SET TMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
SET TEMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
SET PROMPT=$p$g

rem ---The below lines are for the SBLive sound card---
SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 H5 P330 T6 J200
SBMIXER /P /Q

rem ---The below lines for mouse.---

rem ---The below line is for the CD-ROM-------
c:\Windows\command\mscdex.exe /d:mscd001
echo=on
c:

-----------Config.sys------

DEVICE=A:\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=A:\EMM386.EXE 16384 D=64 FRAME=E000 /I=B000-B7FF RAM

REM --- CD-ROM Drive ---
DEVICEHIGH=c:\Windows\command\ebd\oakcdrom.sys /d:mscd001

DOS=HIGH,UMB
STACKS=18,256
FILESHIGH=50
BUFFERSHIGH=35
lastdrive=F

I know that ME doesn't support DOS. I tried a Win9x starup disk first. It didn't work for me. When it tried to use the disk the computer locked up. I just recently upgraded to ME from 98 and I couldn't get privater to run on 98 either. When I typed priv, the computer locked up.

Originally posted by Barrage
I know that ME doesn't support DOS. I tried a Win9x starup disk first. It didn't work for me. When it tried to use the disk the computer locked up. I just recently upgraded to ME from 98 and I couldn't get privater to run on 98 either. When I typed priv, the computer locked up.
Barrage, once again use a "Win9x Startup Disk". Post your autexec.bat, config.sys and dosstart.bat and we can get it working. We do this all the time. Please if you what to play this game than don't fight me on this. I know what I am doing. Trust me.

Its right

But u need to clean out most of the shit that gets added to the BOOT DISKS and add some more crap too, but it IS possible only u might not get sound like me :(

Im tempted to netowrk up my old pc, have a copy of all the midi and set it up on the 2nd pc so that everytime i goto OXFORD i get the oxford music, etc :)

Sad aint it :)

I'm dead chuffed though, ive got the point in the game where i can afford to buy a new ship... although it would be pretty much defenceless with no add ons! :( and whilst i tried to do the Pirate missions from that bird who meets u after sandoval bites it........ I found that even with a FULLY toked up tarsus and the best f**king piloting skills around, i never make it all the way to TROY without jamming on the INVINCIIBLITY and messing up the mission

enuf of me rambling :)

Patience is a virtue. ;)

I always managed to fully load a Centurion before visiting Sandoval. But even a well shielded Centurrion plus some afterburners equals some good ramming opportunities. :)

I know how to edit my autoexec.bat and config.sys files. I just reinstalled 98. I used the boot disk and ended up with 619k of conventional memory. My problem now is that when I type in priv to run Privateer, the computer locks up. Do I need to run a program like MoSlo to get it to work?

Ok, I'll humor you, but trust me I know how to edit my autoexec.bat and config.sys files.

Autoexec.bat file reads:
@ECHO OFF
SET PROMPT=$P$G
SET PATH=C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND;C:\;C:\CDROM;C:\BRCD\BIN;C:\BRCD\COMMAND
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 T6
C:\

The Config.sys file reads:
DOS=HIGH,UMB
Device=a:\Himem.Sys
Device=a:\EMM386.Exe 16384 D=64 FRAME=E000 /I=B000-B7FF RAM
Stacks=18,256
Files=50
Buffers=35

The reason I don't have the cdrom drivers in there is because I copied the priv.tre and rf.tre file to the hard drive and edit the respective cfg files. As I said the problem is when I type priv to run the game. The computer locks up.

P1 runs fast without a joystick. Add "J200" to the
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 T6 J200
You should also add a mouse driver too.
Use this to.
FILESHIGH=50
BUFFERSHIGH=35

[Edited by Johnl12 on 06-21-2001 at 22:37]

Back