Running Privateer 1 on Windows ME

How do I go into my config.sys and where do I put that stuff?

Sorry Im ignorant when it comes to computers.

In Windows, click with the right button of the mouse in the config.sys and open it with the notepad.

Originally posted by MadDog243
I have been looking to get a replacement for privateer for a while, i bought it a few years ago and could never get it too work, it said some of the files were corrupt. Beleive me my mistake will not happen again, I just wish my original copy worked.
The good news for you is that if you've still got whatever remains of your original copy, then it's not actually piracy for you to get a copy from someone else, whoever that would be... but you still don't talk about abandonware sites, ok? ;) Anyway, glad to see your problem was resolved.

ah crap, new problem.

I had privateer working yesterday, but now when i try to run it it says I have insufficient memory to run it. What do I do?

It is your EMS memory ????
Have you changed the ammount of ram in config.sys ????
Or you loaded something (mouse,scanner) tha lowered your 581 kb ????

I dont think I changed the amount of ram, here is the message word for word

Insufficient DOS memory available to run privateer. Consult the installation manual for help reconfiguring youe system.

I have no idea where to go from here.

You have lower base memory (571 or lower, put mem in DOS), what you have in your autoexec.bat ??

Im checking the autoexec.bat now, what is base memory? And if it is higher than 571 what is the problem?

You must have a minimum of 571 Kb or 577, i don´t remember.
base memory is the first 640 kb of memory, with DOS games this matters, Windows manages this memory.

how do I disable my mouse?

Also, I will check my mem in dos to see how much I have. Is there anything else I should try?

don´t load the mouse (mouse.exe or something)if you have the mouse on the autoexec.bat, write REM in the home of the sentence I.E : Rem lh=mouse.exe

Silly, the LH command loads TSR programs into high memory. :)

LHing is good. LH C:\MOUSE\MOUSE.EXE, LH C:\blah, whatever. :)

Man, I need to take a computer class or something cause i have NO idea what you guys are talking about :(

Back