"Q: What is Conquest: Frontier Wars?"

Agreed... their web site was taken over by EA years and years ago, and has sucked ever since. They made up for this by helping sites like the CIC and Stratics years back...

(Their in-house webmaster (if he's still there) is an incredibly talented guy named Chris Graf -- he was responsible for the Secret Ops site, for example).

kind of changing subjects here, do you guys think it was for the best that Chris Roberts left Origin?

No one could stop him. I believe he said something about the bureacracy of a large corporation like OSI was cramping his vision. I dunno. I've got no idea.

Hmmm. He wasn't on WCP was he? That is my favorite WC game of all time. I love the way you felt like you were actually playing a game, and not a movie like WCIV.

No he wasn't. And I liked WCP too, but it really could have been expanded if it wasn't for budget cuts. We're still waiting for the genuine original script, but we all know how busy LOAF is. :)

Stories of Evil Aempires aside, Chris Roberts didn't leave Origin... he "left" Origin, after going very, very over-budget on WCIV.

You don't fire anyone that important -- you just ask them to leave, and then create an environment for them in which they have no choice but to leave.

Well... for example, EA didn't pay the Maverick teams their bonuses in '96 because Wing Commander IV went so over-budget... effectively alienating them from Roberts.

Were they really that bitter about it? I remember reading the little story of the development of Strike Commander CR put at the front of the SC manual, so it wasn't the first time they endured tough times because of him.

several years ago i saw an interview with richar garriot and he said thet wc IV was selling extreemly well.
He said in the first week we sold more than 300.000 copies of the game and we are not concerned about the income anymore altough the games production costs were extreemly hight. about 10.000.000$

Strike Commander took a long time to make -- but it didn't cost 14 million dollars... missed deadlines are par for the course in the gaming industry. Strike Commander missed a lot of deadlines, and the only people who were *really* unhappy with it were the people who were waiting for it to come out.

As for an interview with Garriot... have you ever, ever, ever seen an interview with someone who is saying that his game is selling really badly? Compare 3000,000 copies of Wing COmmander IV to a million of Wing Commander III... "We don't care about profits" generally equals "we're not going to make a profit".

Back