Prophecy

Oh don't say that...sometimes I fall off the chair because of so much laughing about posts here (there you can also hurt yourself), or by too much tipping on the keyboard (had I the last days)..in an airplane this won't happen;)

OK, falling asleep and sometimes hitting the table with my head that happens, too. But at least you do not endanger anyone else except yourself.

But I know what you mean, I've been too much here at the CIC than I should, my work is suffering..., but ach, was soll's?

LOL, I am working here too, but the CIC is helding me away from falling asleep...archivating CDs isn't very interesting...so I post, then I archivate, post again....
but I have to be very careful nobody watches that!!!
But I still found one more point what is dangerous: Sitting too much at father's PC and installing wrong programs/Tools he doesn't want (sometimes I think he kills me for that;))

I just got back and read some of your other posts about your flying club. So are you actually inside the control step for the nearby airport, or are you just out of controlled airspace?

I can imagine you wouldn't be too popular with the traffic controllers if you were buzzing around in controlled airspace ... especially since if you wandered into the wrong area, legally the passenger jets would have to give way to you. Oh boy, now that is something I would LOVE to see :D

No, it's in controlled airspace...it's good wantage of the controllers that we may fly there...we are so said 'guests'.When we fly, they have to hold a little piece of airspace...so 4000 (mostly)-6000 feet (really not often) free for us. But we also sometimes to the frontier and so it happened to one other flight student that he saw himself at 1800 feet( 1800 were allowed on that day) face to face with an 767 coming towards him at same altitude....flaps, slip and downwards....would have really been funny. That happens som times a year and mostly the commercial pliot's don't like that. They go at he airport to the controllers and we are 'punished' not meant exactly wordly but they really come to us and tell their salpater that we should do what they want, because if not they close our airfield etc....blabla always the same. Normally we also do, but the commercial pilots often see things which aren't so like they saw....three times may you think who the controllers more believe...

Another problem: I saw on eBay WC4, Privateer 2 and Crusader for ten markts. Problem, I didn't find information how much eBay costs...(auction costs, because the man who sells writes the bidder has to pay them..). From that depends whether I can buy it, because I am saving every mark for my new PC....would you do??? How much is it???
And what to hell is crusader (this side even didn't help me)....

Originally posted by Manjana
No, it's in controlled airspace...it's good wantage of the controllers that we may fly there...we are so said 'guests'.When we fly, they have to hold a little piece of airspace...so 4000 (mostly)-6000 feet (really not often) free for us. But we also sometimes to the frontier and so it happened to one other flight student that he saw himself at 1800 feet( 1800 were allowed on that day) face to face with an 767 coming towards him at same altitude....flaps, slip and downwards....would have really been funny. That happens som times a year and mostly the commercial pliot's don't like that. They go at he airport to the controllers and we are 'punished' not meant exactly wordly but they really come to us and tell their salpater that we should do what they want, because if not they close our airfield etc....blabla always the same. Normally we also do, but the commercial pilots often see things which aren't so like they saw....three times may you think who the controllers more believe...

Well considering that a 767 is a bit more expensive than a sailplane, it does not seem that stange that they are a bit pissed off if a sailplane is getting close. But how high do you fly with your sailplanes? If you are sendt up by a (Seilwinde... English???), how high do you get, and at which height are they passing the airfield?

Well I don't know if you know the airfield Sankt Augustin Hangelar (near Bonn), but there, sailplanes are flying over inhabitated terrain prior to landing. What do you do if takeoff fails or the landing is bad? No Go-around, right?

Hm. So many question at one time. If TakeOff is aborded, we have the possibility to make a 180 degre turn to land again (difficult+dangerous) if we still have enough place...we land forward...our airfield is very large (Breite!)..so we can turn and land sidewards....and there are also some short fields around...behind the trees...it depends from altuide. If we are higher than 80-100 metres we can make a short go-around. Under 50 we land forward but every pilot of us prays that he never comes in a situation with that critical altuide between 50-80...then only one of that dangerous/difficult possiblities stays...
Hm the world record lies at 10000 metres (like a commercial plane)...we only may how much we clearence have ( in that case between 4000-6000f). And the commercial planes even cross the field above that 4000-6000feet. It's stepped...if you understand.And in Germany all airspace above (hm what was that? 2000 metres is completely controlled...I will look it up,okay?I am not sure.)
And we fly over habited area...at both ends of the field are little towns behind the woods...but if we crash, we most propably crash in a tree, so that doesn't matter...

And the commercial planes even cross the field above that 4000-6000feet. It's stepped...if you understand.And in Germany all airspace above (hm what was that? 2000 metres is completely controlled...I will look it up,okay?I am not sure.)

Well that all sounds really funny. Actually, I don't know what stepped means :)... You are not sure about the height at which airspace is controlled? It seems to be easy to get a flying license in Germany :)))...

BTW, what do you do if you land on other places than your own field? How do you get the plane back to the home-airfield (considering you have to make an emergency landing on an ordinary field)?

Ah...something I can understand :). Crusader: No Remorse is an old top-down action game by Origin (I think the engine was from one of the Ultimas...VIII, if I'm correct). A sequel, Crusader: No Regret was made a few years later. And no, I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with Wing Commander.

Crusader was one of the first isometric-view games... and it was neat because you could damage just about everything around you.

(As for being related to WC... in typical Origin in-joke fashion, the Secret Ops fiction has several references to Crusader's WEC. :))

Originally posted by Bob McDob

Crusader: No Remorse is an old top-down action game by Origin
That's like saying that WC is an old space sim game. Crusader was simply one of the best third person (?) shooter action games I have ever played. It also had FMV cutscenes with some decent actors. Besides WC it is one of the few games that I will load up and replay from time to time.

Well, Wing Commander IS an old flight-sim type game - BUT that doesn't mean it's BAD. Far from it. I mean, I love WC as much as anyone (why else would I be here?), but it came out ten years ago. So what? It still plays as well as ever. At least now it qualifies for classic status :) That's what I was trying to get across, like guys at a bar reminicing about the 'good old days'.

Anyway, I've never played Crusader, so I'm not really qualified to say anything else about it...

Originally posted by Sonntag
Well that all sounds really funny. Actually, I don't know what stepped means :)... You are not sure about the height at which airspace is controlled? It seems to be easy to get a flying license in Germany :)))...
[/B]

"Steps" are controlled airspace steps. They have a "base" altitude so that you can fly below them and not be in controlled airspace. They start at gound level around major airports, and as you move away from the airport they move up in "steps" (usually in increments of a 5-10 mile radius). So for example over a controlled area (such as an international airport) it is impossible to fly through it without a clearance, but if you dodge around it and stay low enough, you can avoid this hassle, by being under the control "step".

Hope this makes sense :)

You are right bw_dave. And Sonntag: WE can build the whole airplane apart (the wings and fuselage) to put it on a car- supporter (you need 3 people for that and min. 45 min. Make that with a Cessna!!!;)
And the controlled airspace was up from Fl 10000 (Flight Level, Flugfläche in German, upper than 10000feet-3000m)...
And highest altuide ever reached by a sailplane by its own power (warm air where it turns itself up) was 14km (1997, today it is even more I think). I'd ever like to reach such an altuide (the highest I've ever been was 1300 metres).
And thanks for the advice what Crusader is (Okay, I really don't like such games like Half-life, it isn't my genre).But Privateer 2 and WC4 again (for the handbooks) are okay. I bidded for them.
Okay now I have to go ( till tomarrow morning or evtl. today in the evening), my airplane is waiting for me...:)

Originally posted by Marcml30
That's like saying that WC is an old space sim game. Crusader was simply one of the best third person (?) shooter action games I have ever played. It also had FMV cutscenes with some decent actors. Besides WC it is one of the few games that I will load up and replay from time to time.
Aye... Crusader was one of the few isometric action games that I... uh... had No Regrets about trying :). Indeed, I was very disappointed when, a few weeks ago, Origin quashed the Crusader Movie rumours just hours after they started. Crusader has vast potential for a movie-type storyline, if only they could find a film company willing to risk another game-to-movie conversion.

Seriously, for those who haven't tried Crusader, you absolutely must. It's a brilliant action game, with plenty of variety in weapons, level designs and puzzles. Though some of the FMV actors were even worse than Freddie Prinze Jr.... :)

Back