Prophecy

Hobbie

Spaceman
I am thinking of buying Prophecy and I have a few questions about it:

1. Is it worth $50 to get Prophecy Gold?
2. Does it run well without 3D support?
3. Is the game enjoyable, and how does it compare to the other WC games?
4. Does it play well without a joystick (like WC3&4)?
5. Would it be better to get Privateer 2?

Thanks, I have the money to buy a new game and even though I have played for a long time I never got around to Prophecy/Privateer 2- so I am thinking of buying.

You can download demos of both games, you should probably try them before buying to see which you like better, and if they could even run properly on your machine. I know Prophecy/secretops both tend to freeze my machine, so you should definatly check to see how the demo runs.

Well, I would pay 50 for it, but that's just because I like the game. I played it the first time without any 3d support and it ran fine (and looked very good). I think it's very enjoyable, and although it doesn't have as involved of a story as some of the other WC games, the space flight portion is very fun and quite intense at times. I don't know about the joystick thing, as I have always used one, but a joystick is not necessary to play. As far as Privateer 2 goes, you'll have to wait for someone who has played it, as I have not.

I think WCP is the least satisfying of the WC games in the fact that the story sucks big Kilrathi testicles (assuming Kilrathi have big testicles...)

BUT, the Flight engine is VERY good. I'd defiantly recommend the game.

Originally posted by Hobbie
I am thinking of buying Prophecy and I have a few questions about it:

Thanks, I have the money to buy a new game and even though I have played for a long time I never got around to Prophecy/Privateer 2- so I am thinking of buying.

If I were you Id get em all! You should invest in a joystick, which is better than trying to fly with the mouse or keyboard. The game is enjoyable, some say the plot sucked, I think it was probably not the greatest they could have done, but I would have to say I have seen worse movies in the movie theaters. 50 is worth the Gold!

RFB

Yes.
It ran great on my P200MMX in software mode. And that was on a 1MB Trident.
More gameplay-oriënted than, say Wing Commander 4. It's still got a great plot and a number of neat cutscenes.
I believe Chris plays it with the keyboard (as he does with all the other games).
It'd be better to get both.

Go on, splurge!!! You know you want BOTH of them :)

In addition, as they are two VERY different games, you'll feel more satisfied with spending the money as they both have different feels.

As I've said in another thread, WC=Hollywood films, Priv2=Independent (film noir) films...

WCP has better graphics but P2 has a better storyline. I would get both. I wish they'll release P2 in DVD. If you can't get P2 for win95 don't worry there is a patch available to play the DOS version in windows.

Thank god I've still got dos on my machine!

But then again, surely if you want to play P2 that badly, you can always get a second hand box with dos.

Yeah, I am also happy I don't run ME but still Win98.:)
P. and ME is that compatible? I really don't believe...
But the right DOS? For P. enough but WC4 at my machine is horrible!

As a WC fan you should know that every WC game is worth investing 50$. ;)
WCP was great fun to play, though it was not very atmospheric. And the SOPS include some great graphics of LARGE capships. So, yes get it.
Priv2 is very difficult to compare to WCP. It is also a great game but you will feel more at home with WCP. It is hard to see any connections to the WC universe in Priv2 at the first glance.
Both are very enjoyable games and are worth the buy.

Originally posted by Ladiesman^
I think WCP is the least satisfying of the WC games in the fact that the story sucks big Kilrathi testicles (assuming Kilrathi have big testicles...)
(...)

Of course! Very big, indeed. :)

Prophecy whoes

I dont think Prophecy should be given such a bad rap like its been getting. It is a very good game. Maybe the Hollywood stuff from WCIII and IV spoiled many. Prophecy has a good story and excellent sim engine. It could have had some interaction in the FMV like earlier WC games, it could have had more movie (they cut out alot due to budget junk) but for what it is, it shure beats American Pie and some other stupid movies hands down IMO. Id rather buy 100 more copies of Prophecy than spend one penny on some movie about uncontrollable hormones or some other stupid plot that seems to be flooding movie theaters.

RFB

[Edited by RFBurns on 04-08-2001 at 15:15]

To clarify: Prophecy is the most beautiful sci-fi sim available at the moment and is great fun to play. Of course it lacks the cutscenes of WC4, but those were extreme and you can get over it without them. It just lacks the gripping atmosphere and intense story of the previous WC games.

Alright, I have found two versions of Privateer 2. The deluxe version and the regular version. What is the difference? Is the deluxe Win 9x native?

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt
Originally posted by Ladiesman^
(...)

Of course! Very big, indeed. :)

size is relitve. lets take a look. *advances with a dagger and a microscope*

Back