Prophecy

Crusader was/is great. Loved the intro from Crusader2...
It was one of the feew games where I thought for a very very short time: "Isn't that game too brutal?".But no, it isn't...
But Manjana, Crusader is not comparable to Half-life. You see and control your figure from outside, you can perhaps compare it more to, uh, perhaps Syndicate . Still, not a very good comparison...

Originally posted by Manjana
You are right bw_dave. And Sonntag: WE can build the whole airplane apart (the wings and fuselage) to put it on a car- supporter (you need 3 people for that and min. 45 min. Make that with a Cessna!!!;)
And the controlled airspace was up from Fl 10000 (Flight Level, Flugfläche in German, upper than 10000feet-3000m)...
And highest altuide ever reached by a sailplane by its own power (warm air where it turns itself up) was 14km (1997, today it is even more I think). I'd ever like to reach such an altuide (the highest I've ever been was 1300 metres).
And thanks for the advice what Crusader is (Okay, I really don't like such games like Half-life, it isn't my genre).But Privateer 2 and WC4 again (for the handbooks) are okay. I bidded for them.
Okay now I have to go ( till tomarrow morning or evtl. today in the evening), my airplane is waiting for me...:)

Well with a Cessna you hopefully never have to land on a field :) Does it happen often that people land far away from the airfield? Well considering that you will not keep the sailplane there overnight, I think you are getting quite unpopular if others have to pick you up, right?

Btw, isnt 10000 feet called FL100? I am no pilot, so I dont know... How much does it cost to become a sailplane pilot in Germany, anyway? I am saving money right now to buy a VW Käfer, so I won't have enough money for something like flying for some years to come, I think...

Originally posted by Quarto
Aye... Crusader was one of the few isometric action games that I... uh... had No Regrets about trying :). Indeed, I was very disappointed when, a few weeks ago, Origin quashed the Crusader Movie rumours just hours after they started. Crusader has vast potential for a movie-type storyline, if only they could find a film company willing to risk another game-to-movie conversion.
Mark my words, if Tomb Raider does well, and from the previews I expect it will, we will probably see a rash of game-to-movie conversions as producers try to cash in on a untapped market.
Though some of the FMV actors were even worse than Freddie Prinze Jr.... :)
IMO, the actress that played Panther in WC4 was the worst.

Originally posted by Sonntag
[QUOTE
Btw, isnt 10000 feet called FL100? I am no pilot, so I dont know... How much does it cost to become a sailplane pilot in Germany, anyway? I am saving money right now to buy a VW Käfer, so I won't have enough money for something like flying for some years to come, I think...

You are correct. Example, 31,000 feet would be FL310 and so on. Below 10,000, its: 9,000=FL90.

RFB

ps...I have a private class pilots license w/ instrument rating. Which means I can fly at night and in cloudy conditions or fog conditions when you cant see the runway, hence you rely on VOR and ILS instruments to line up with the runway.

RFB

Originally posted by RFBurns
I have a private class pilots license w/ instrument rating. Which means I can fly at night and in cloudy conditions or fog conditions when you cant see the runway, hence you rely on VOR and ILS instruments to line up with the runway.

RFB [/B]

Ok... Well I always tried this in Microsoft Flight simulator, and sometimes I even found the runway... but not always. But, I consider that you are flying on smaller airfields, right? These are not usually equipped with ILS, so can you really fly at night and use the IFR? (Well of course it is much more safe and recommended for everyone, but do you really fly IFR sometimes?)

Originally posted by Marcml30
Mark my words, if Tomb Raider does well, and from the previews I expect it will, we will probably see a rash of game-to-movie conversions as producers try to cash in on a untapped market.
I dunno... there's a lot of pathetically stupid business executives out there (hmm... EA), but will they be that stupid? You may be right - I certainly hope not, though, because a rash of failures would sink any possibilities of there ever being another game-to-movie conversion.

...But still, a Crusader movie... that would work sooo damned well. A trained killer who's forced to defect to the other side, and learn what it's like to be the hunted. Then he finds out that he's probably not even human... it's got just about everything to make a great story.

Really? I didn't think so. I mean, there are people who are so bad that they practically stink of bad acting, and she wasn't really one of them. Not necessarily a good actress, but not an awful one either.

Right my fault with 10 and 100. Maybe I forgot a '0' because I was so in a hurry and I got up 5 min ago...
And if the wheather is good (if you see the fat white clouds called Cumulus or 'Haufenwolken' standing on a blue sky) the pilots whom have their license (we flight students may not except in one case) go into their GFK-planes (we call them Plastic-planes or 'Joghurtbecher' ( is 'joghurt' the same in English? I hope so) and go on way to fly some kilometres....this can be a triangle ( they really fly in triangles, that they come back to the airfield again) or just so for ex. 200-300 km and back again...and there it can of course happen that he doesn't find any warm air any more, doesn't come back (lands outdoor) and then he calls us per handy and we take the supporter and drive...the pilot has to pay the fuel of the car and he has to give one meal in a restaurant (it can also be McDo) out for the people whom picked him up. One day we were just 20 people at the airfield and 3 planes were outdoor-landed...10 people drove away (in happiness to get a payed evening-meal, what they really like) and we were really less to organize the rest 4 airplanes (TakeOff, carrying back to TakeOff what means pushing the airplanes around the half airfield etc.).:( It was three time work for them whom stayed at home....because it is much easilier if more people are there...but they were all away. I was so ready at that day...I fell into the bad and slept.
You really think of flying???
I can only tell you something about sailplane-flying. It costs all about all between 1000-2000 marks a year (depends from how much you fly etc.) It sounds much but you pay it in mothly rates. So it is cheaper as you think (my parents aren't rich, I have to work for it and to give my pocket-money, it is good-possible). But the money isn't the real problem. If you want, would you like to get the whole week-end (Saturday, Sunday) early up to be at the airfield at nine O'clock (today I have to be there at ten and I got up at 7. 30 o'clock), because you cannot come in the afternoon and go after flying ! You have to stay the whole day (sailplane-flying is a teamsport, all people have to stay), to carry the airplanes on the field and when it is evening in the hangar again, to push them around, to help...! So your whole week-end is away (on Friday we sometimes have meetings and theoretical lessons in the evening). That's what most people don't like! Spending their whole weekend at the airfield! But it also gives you something. Flying is very nice, you turn very fast brown if you're the type for it (you need no sun-studio any more) and we (I can only speak for our club) are a very good team and most understand each other well. At the moment we help for ex. another club which can't fly because Bundeswehr closed their field because of Foot-and Mouth-Disease. We let them come with their planes (just some, for all we aren't big enough) and let them fly on our field. Sailplane-pilots and clubs hold together, because all clubs have problems to get new members in this time....thepeople and their behavior, that doesn't be able to coexistence with that what being member in a sailplane-club means...(Weekend). So if you still want, then it would be the rght for you....*LOL*

Originally posted by Quarto
Originally posted by Marcml30
Really? I didn't think so. I mean, there are people who are so bad that they practically stink of bad acting, and she wasn't really one of them. Not necessarily a good actress, but not an awful one either.

The actors in Crusader were quite bad too. "How the world will mourn th death of Dr. Grregorr Hoffmann!" :)

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt
The actors in Crusader were quite bad too. "How the world will mourn th death of Dr. Grregorr Hoffmann!" :)
Yah... well, I did mention in an earlier post in this thread that Crusader actors were often even worse than a certain Freddie Prince Jr. :).

Prinze seemed to play a good Blair -- he pulls off the confused newbie thing well.

(And he's certainly good at playing teenage idiots in idiotic teenage movies <G>).

(...)Sailplane-pilots and clubs hold together, because all clubs have problems to get new members in this time....thepeople and their behavior, that doesn't be able to coexistence with that what being member in a sailplane-club means...(Weekend). So if you still want, then it would be the rght for you....*LOL*

Well that sounds interesting, especially that you get a free MC Donalds meal when someone lands outdoor :) I understand that there is a lot of work and that teamwork is important, so that you have to work together in the weekend, on the other hand, if it is a hobby you really like, isn't that work part of the fun (or rather said, experience?)

You said that you have a leased sailplane, right? How much do these sailplanes cost if you buy them, are they so expensive?
Which language are you using during flying, BTW? Do you communicate in English or German?

Argh, today was such a shit day....really thin whether you want to (would you like to spend your whole day at the field under the sky at a tempertature of 2 degrees Celsius and see that all people fly a couple of hours and you just get two TakeOffs and go-arounds (2 min.)? That's quite normal for me...I'll begin little war with the high-people at the club (I am gonna make some trouble...). Really look where you start to fly if you really really want...maybe I'll change the club (we got 4 around here which I could reach!)....
A new airplane costs about 100000DM-150000DM (depends from equipment you want and how the glide-relationship (Gleitverhältnis) is. My ASK13 has 1 meter altuide:25meters over ground....the new GFKs got 1 meter: to 40-50 meters over ground. You get a used sailplane out of the 60s/702s ( the ASK13 was built 1969) for 5000 marks. And if you buy one which had an accident (broken wing etc.) you sometimes get them for 1000 marks or less. But you should be able to repair it then...
The airplane we bought was really exoensive for our club (130000) it is a really high-tech one and you have parted wings (two parts), when you can decide how long wings you want. Today he took fifteenm. to be faster and to be able to move faster (change direction). So he let the 3m long winglets away (if you use them you got 18m)...the glide-relationship is 1:49!

Argh, today was such a shit day....really thin whether you want to (would you like to spend your whole day at the field under the sky at a tempertature of 2 degrees Celsius and see that all people fly a couple of hours and you just get two TakeOffs and go-arounds (2 min.)? That's quite normal for me...I'll begin little war with the high-people at the club (I am gonna make some trouble...). Really look where you start to fly if you really really want...maybe I'll change the club (we got 4 around here which I could reach!)....
A new airplane costs about 100000DM-150000DM (depends from equipment you want and how the glide-relationship (Gleitverhältnis) is. My ASK13 has 1 meter altuide:25meters over ground....the new GFKs got 1 meter: to 40-50 meters over ground. You get a used sailplane out of the 60s/702s ( the ASK13 was built 1969) for 5000 marks. And if you buy one which had an accident (broken wing etc.) you sometimes get them for 1000 marks or less. But you should be able to repair it then...
The airplane we bought was really exoensive for our club (130000) it is a really high-tech one and you have parted wings (two parts), when you can decide how long wings you want. Today he took fifteenm. to be faster and to be able to move faster (change direction). So he let the 3m long winglets away (if you use them you got 18m)...the glide-relationship is 1:49!

What about the lifetime of sailplanes (if you dont have accidents)? GFK doesn't rust, so are there any restrictions in how long you may use your airplane until it has to be decommissioned ?

Considering club-life, I would like to be in a club where I like the people of the club. Of course, as a newbie you start at the bottom, but how is life in a club? I have no experience, but I fear that it could be so that the president is the king that is elected all the time, so that if you don't share his opinions you can forget it...

No it isn't so. Of course the prsident is sometimes prefered, but he has his own plane so it doesn't matter so much...club life: The youths in our club also meet private for going to the disco , organizing computer networks etc....the high-ranked people in our club aren't non-nice. The president is it, because he's elected every 2 years and the vice-president is flight teacher at the moment. With him I'll have to debate about my starts at good-time at day...I'll have to call him today via telephone. And if we have different-opinions we debate peacefully about. Doesn't happen very often that somebody becomes loud. The contrast is our guest club we have at the moment. Many people don't like each other, yesterday one father became so loud and for the flight teacher it was really peinlich (he didn't like to be critized in an argue in front of 20 members of another club, he was shamed)...it was a contrast to our harmony (which I am goona destroy a little, because I am feeling that I fly less than others and I want to change things...today I left the field frustrated (reason why I post at that time), because standing eight hours in the coldness and work for others which fly hour after hour for flying 4 min. myself is no relation in my eyes! Maybe it will give an arguement...but the club doesn't like to loose members to other clubs so I guess they'll try to understand me....:)

Why were you flying such a short time? Bad luck with the Thermik (I hate zis Dinglisch but cannot translate everything)?

Just another thing, you have written in another thread that you joined the Bundeswehr, right? What are you doing there?

I'd LIKE to join Bundeswehr. I am still student.... the next 2 years.
We only have one student-doubleseater and most people fly with it. I always become said that I need a long flight for my education (since autumn last year!!!!) and even on such days like today other students are prefered (today we were seven people). I flew 10 hours the whole last year in 76 TakeOffs!!! And they wonder why I fly badly at the moment!!!!The last longer TakeOff (20 min) I got in August last year....since that day always TakeOff- landing 2/3/4 min later. It's nerving. And then seeing others flying hours and just getting two go-arounds at 5 or 6 o'clock when Thermik (the warm air we need to circle us up) is gone!!! I see my education in danger (dramatically said), because one day I want to fly alone!! But if it goes on like that, I can maybe forget it!!!

I'd LIKE to join Bundeswehr. I am still student.... the next 2 years.

Well ok... I am also considering to become SAZ12 or SAZ 15, but I don't know if I really want it.
My father is an officer in the Luftwaffe (Lt.Col), so here are the DISadvantages:

You move every third year

Payment is good in the beginning, but mediocre later on

Armee hat kein Geld...

If you (and your family, especially your children!!!) can live with these disadvantages, it is ok

I will never have children. I never want to marry....My mother has an illness in her gens, which her family has very long. It cannot be changed, my mother is ill, her mother also was. Both sit/sat in a wheelchair and become/ became every day more stupid goes,it goes hand-in-hand with Alzheimer. I don't want to give it further...so I'll never get a child and I never want a debate with somebody why (reason why never marry)...and every third year move, it doesn't matter. I want away from home and I like to see the world. And without family I am independent. Also ideal.

I will never have children. I never want to marry....My mother has an illness in her gens, which her family has very long. It cannot be changed, my mother is ill, her mother also was. Both sit/sat in a wheelchair and become/ became every day more stupid goes,it goes hand-in-hand with Alzheimer. I don't want to give it further...so I'll never get a child and I never want a debate with somebody why (reason why never marry)...and every third year move, it doesn't matter. I want away from home and I like to see the world. And without family I am independent. Also ideal.

Ok well that is very sad indeed. About the willing to move, it is how you take it. In the long term, you only have advantages, but I wouldn't do it if I had children.

Of course I also not. But I'll never have that problem indeed.:) I wouldn't like to let the children change friends, school etc. every some years...it isn't fair at all!

Back