Pc Gameplay List

Originally posted by Hobbie
I don't know whether to take that as an agreement or a question Sonntag :) But, I think it is obvious the technological advances the U.S. had over Japan. Those German-derived Japanese fighters were taken from old German designs anyways, not state of the art.

[Edited by Hobbie on 03-29-2001 at 16:25]

I agree :)

I don't know whether to take that as an agreement or a question Sonntag :) But, I think it is obvious the technological advances the U.S. had over Japan. Those German-derived Japanese fighters were taken from old German designs anyways, not state of the art.
Didn't the Japanese have a fighter, later on, based on the Me262? Also, when you talk about the US being more technologically advanced, you should keep in mind that the Hellcat was superior to the Zero only because some Japanese pilot successfully crash-landed a Zero in American territory...

Very good point Quarto, that had slipped my mind :). That was one of the most interesting stories of the war. The Hellcat was very important until the Mustang and T-bolt came along. A plane that is one of my favorites that everyone disregards is the P-38 Lightning. A very tough plane, it helped fill a need for a fighter-bomber early on in the war. You could compare it to the Vindicator in WCIV. One advantage (IMO) that the U.S. had over Japan was the strength of its bombers. There were so many Flying Fortresses and later Super Fortresses that attacked Japan. Not to mention Mauraders, Mitchells, and Liberators. The Japanese did have a better torpedo plane early on though, because the Devastator totally sucked, while the Kate fared pretty well.

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt
I just have to add my two pence:

The FW190 might not have been as fast as the Spitfire but it surely was more heavily armed. And BTW, we always have to keep in mind that the fighters did have a lot of different versions during the war and their capabilities changed a lot.

Well, the FW190's armament is certainly fearsome on paper, but the fact that the wing-root cannons were mounted inboard of the propeller disk (and hence had to synchronise their fire to the propeller to avoid hitting the blades) severely limited their rate of fire and their effectiveness in combat. Not only that, all the major combat versions of Spitfire from the Mk V onwards (including the Mk VIII, MK IX and MK XIV) had varaiants that mounted quad 20mm cannon, giving it an equal punch to the FW190.

And as for your other point, I agree completely. THe FW 190 when it was first introduced did severely outclass the Spitfire Mk V that the RAF had in service in time, but that edge was nuetralised or even overturned by the much more capable Mk VIII and Mk IX fighters. Towards the end of the end of the war, the Spitfires that had the new Griffon engine instead of the the famous Merlin enjoyed a significant edge even over the late model Focke-Wulfs.

Best, Raptor

[Edited by Hobbie on 03-29-2001 at 16:25]

Though they *were* devastaingly effective in the early stages of the war. While the Rei-Sen (Zero) was underpowered and underarmoured, its agility, speed and hitting power allowed it to make mincemeat out of the fighters the US and the Commonwealth had in service at the time. The tide only began to turn with the introduction of newer fighters like the Hellcat, Corsair and Spitfire VIII to the Pacific, along with the horrific losses the Japanese suffered in experianced fighter pilots.

Best, Raptor

There was a great Polish ace who flew in WWII for the Poles and then for the Brits. Skalski, was his name IIRC. He became one of the best Allied pilots in the war. Kobayashi (sp?), Galland, and Hartmann are probably the best in my opinion. I think the Axis had much better pilots.

Again, debatable. :) The German Experten certainly ammassed much higher combat scores than the Allied pilots, but the Allies had some true characters amoung the their Aces. Take Douglas Bader, for example. He lost not one but *both* of his legs in an accident before the war, but then flew Spirfires into combat, became an Ace and rose to the rank of Wing Commander. Another pilot I admired while I was growing up was an Ace by the name of Alan Deere (who just happend to be a Kiwi :D) who survived a remarkable number of mid-air collisons, crash landings and other mishaps, including the time a German bomb exploded near his Spirfire just as it was on the point of take-off, flipping the fighter on its back and sending it careening down the runway in a shower of sparks. His book "Nine Lives" is truly hair-raising reading even 50 years later.

Best, Raptor

Originally posted by Quarto

Didn't the Japanese have a fighter, later on, based on the Me262? Also, when you talk about the US being more technologically advanced, you should keep in mind that the Hellcat was superior to the Zero only because some Japanese pilot successfully crash-landed a Zero in American territory...

That depends on your defintion of successfull. :) From what I remember, the fighter was recovered intact, but the pilot broke his neck when the fighter hit marshy ground on landing and flipped over. Though it's certainly true that the weakness discovered in that captured Zero (the fragile construction and the lack of engine power) did allow the Allies to design planes and tactics that would end the Zero's superiority forever.

Best, Raptor

The war in the pacific was all about numbers. In a first period, the Japoneses clearly had the advantage, but later on, thanks to an amazing industrial capacity, the U.S. managed to balance the numbers. The stategic side was well balanced, because the Japoneses had some very good generals and admirals, and there is now proofs they they had planned the war with many years in advance. About the Japonese air force, any low point in the aircrafts was well compensated by the expertise and quality of the pilots.

But, you have to admit, Shooter, that American bombers were able to reach Japan before Japanese bombers could reach the U.S. mainland. Tokyo was bombed as early as middle of '42. This did very little damage but it had a devastating moral blow to the Japanese. Around the same time, the Battle of Midway was won by the U.S. The Americans never really looked back. Raptor- I read a book a few years back about a Japanese pilot named Saki (I think). A very good ace in his own right, he flew 120+ miles with no vision in one eye, only one hand, only one leg, and with his plane shot up so badly the smoke was all over his cockpit. Similar to your story, except that this happened during combat. Yes the Zero was very effective early on in the war, because of its high climb rate. The only chance a Wildcat pilot had to take it down was by diving at it from above. Even this was difficult. The Zero had a nice cannon (the measurement eludes me) under the propeller that caused lots of problems for the Wildcats. Ah, memories of Aces of the Pacific come flooding back. Very fun game.

Yes, we know, Shooter -- that's why he said we bombed the Japanese mainland *before* they reached ours <G>

Raptor (forgot to comment on this ;))- Good point about kill scores- I agree that kill scores don't determine a pilot's success. Adolf Galland's kill score was relatively low when compared to other German aces. But, he was one of the most feared Axis pilots because he had great flying ability. I consider him to be one of the true warriors in the war. He loved flying, not the killing. He survived the war and I believe did some important post-war things in Germany. Hartmann is probably overrated, but you can't deny that you must be good to have 150+ kills.

They used... Ballons ! They calculated the winds trajectories and launched several ballons with bombs attached. I'm not sure, buy I think only a couple reached the U.S. , not causing any victims.

Some of those "ballons" were not only carrying regular explosive bombs, but they (Japaneese) had ideas on loading those things up with chemical weapons as well. The Japaneese during WWII totally disregarded the rules of war and also disregarded the conventions rules for treating P.O.W's.

RFB

But, we weren't perfect either ;). The way the U.S. treated Japanese-Americans was horrible. Didn't defy war rules, but it was still really bad. I don't think I need to even start about the A-bomb and how many civilian lives it took. The Japanese treated American soldiers horribly though. The Russians treated German P.O.W.s horribly also.

Ya I thought that was kind of bad (the US treating Japaneese Americans they way they did) putting them in camps and making them move from their homes. But it was a time of distrust and uncertianty. Much of the public did not trust the Japaneese Americans simply cause of what happend at Pearl, which shoved us into the war to begin with. The US did not want to get involved in WWII at all till that happend. Then the public cried out for action so the US government just responded to the public outcry. Its too bad nowadays, the US gov doesnt listen to its own people anymore. :(

RFBurns

But, we weren't perfect either ;). The way the U.S. treated Japanese-Americans was horrible. Didn't defy war rules, but it was still really bad. I don't think I need to even start about the A-bomb and how many civilian lives it took. The Japanese treated American soldiers horribly though. The Russians treated German P.O.W.s horribly also.

And the Germans weren' t nice towards their russian P.O.W, either...

Back