Pc Gameplay List

Shooter

Rear Admiral
In the main CIC page, Loaf is not very happy with the "PC Gameplay 50 most influential games of all time" list. O.K., they are wrong about the "little more than a glorified 3D shoot-'em-up" part, but WC comes before games like Counter Strike and C&C. And the only space sim before WC is Elite, and IMHO they are right. Elite was the Grand-Father of all Space Sims. So, what's your opinion? Is 37º a fair place?

http://www.pcgameplay.co.uk/best50.htm

::looking at the list::

Wow, Counter Strike was that low? And they didn't mention Half Life?

How'd Dune 2 get in there? Granted, it was the first realt RTS, but you know....

DOOM? FRIGGIN DOOM?!?! What are they smoking?

Freaks.

Oh my god! Star Raiders is #48! I used to play that all the time, I loved it.

Hard to believe that WC is so low, but at least it's there. I'm more concerned that they left out Diablo, or TIE Fighter. I'm glad they did hit some of the oldest but best, though.

Originally posted by TyeDyeBoy
::looking at the list::

Wow, Counter Strike was that low? And they didn't mention Half Life?

How'd Dune 2 get in there? Granted, it was the first realt RTS, but you know....

DOOM? FRIGGIN DOOM?!?! What are they smoking?

Freaks.

Oh my god! Star Raiders is #48! I used to play that all the time, I loved it.

Hard to believe that WC is so low, but at least it's there. I'm more concerned that they left out Diablo, or TIE Fighter. I'm glad they did hit some of the oldest but best, though.

From the list, I came away with the impression that the staff at "PC Gameplay" were little more than a bunch of FPSers.

Tye, are you serious? Diablo was fun for a while but it really wasn't that special. All you did was clicked until the bad guys died.

TC

Yes TC, but think about the thrill of battle, the thrill of improving your skills, finding new weapons to upgrade your stats, micromanaging your character... the story behind, the really cool graphics, throwing spells... :cool:

Only a few of the million things, that make/made Diablo as addictive as it is/was... ;)

Perhaps we should be honoured. How many other 'glorified' space sims are there which has multi episodes, its own novels, its own TV show, and its own movie?

The problem is that we know its more than a gloified shoot em up. My guess is that like most of the games on the list, the vote came from the industry people they polled and hadnt actually played the games themselves because they are schmucks and didnt know what to say.

Can't expect to know everything. Yes, and I know the prerequisite answer to that is, "They should know about Wing Commander!" :)

These rankings change all the time, as they are personal opinions. In another ranking Half-Life was 1st place, Quake or DOOM (cannot remember) 2nd place and Wing Commander 3rd place.
This is something we can surely enjoy. Of course WC should sit at the top...

I think you guys are getting it all wrong. This is not a list about the best games ever made,but about the ones who had the most influence on players. So, they should have divided them in categories :

Space-sims - Wing Commander

FPS - Doom

RTS - C&C

And so on...

Indeed, WC is in its own catagory of space sims, not FPS. It should be in comparison to other space sims or even flight sims. But hey, at least it still gets compared considering there is no new WC game and has not been for awhile, so to have WC still mentioned and compared to newer games should make us all smile real big!! :D

RFBurns

Originally posted by Shooter
I think you guys are getting it all wrong. This is not a list about the best games ever made,but about the ones who had the most influence on players.
Then without question, WC should be at or near the top. WCI was almost single-handedly responsible for the infusion of the Sound Blaster sound card into the mainstream. WCIII brought us the first worthwhile use of FMV, MIDI soundtrack (which I still think sounds better than the digital variant of the Kilrathi Saga WCIII), as well as the first big push for multi-speed CD-ROM drives.

Yeah, I almost had to go out and get a new machine every time a new WC game came out. They were always pushing the limits at Origin. Strike Commander also took a lot of flak for delays and it's system specs. In fact IGN had a humorous article a while back saying Origin was going to re-release Strike Commander because people could now finally have machines fast enough to play them.

The description is simply another example of the prejudice British print mags have towards WC... they *hate* the series, for some reason.

I want Strike Commander II!!!

hehee :D Remember the largest terrorist organisation in the 21st century, the IRS? :)

Back