Obsolete ships

Neither have I... so as far as I'm concerned, the Hellcat was considered a 'new' design right from the start. The Tigershark, on the other hand, for at least a part of its development was considered the F-5G. Now, I agree that at the end of the day, they cannot really be considered the same plane, but I felt that your "sometimes confused with the much earlier F-5" comment required correction.

enterprise

well bub, for your good info, the Enterprise sank off Guadalcanal in WWII. then in the late 60s, the big E returned to the naval battlefield as a nuke carrier. now i dunno where on earth is it. probrably decommissioned already, with a good 20 year record i suppose.

No the USS Enterprise, the first Nuclear Naval Carrier or for that matter first nuclear powered ship at all it now still at sea as one of the carriers in the US fleet. IIRC it is currently assigned to the Atalantic fleet

Yeah... and there was a space shuttle called the Enterprise, and there was a ship (a sloop, I think) in the 19th century called the Enterprise. The US Navy (and NASA, when the Trekkies force them to ;)) likes to recycle famous names. But what exactly is your point?

Re: enterprise

Originally posted by Sarge_Cx
well bub, for your good info, the Enterprise sank off Guadalcanal in WWII. then in the late 60s, the big E returned to the naval battlefield as a nuke carrier. now i dunno where on earth is it. probrably decommissioned already, with a good 20 year record i suppose.
First, you've got your history seriously incorrect. The USS Enterprise was the only US aircraft carrier to partake in every major Pacific campaign. At one time (late '42 into early '43) she was the only US carrier in the south Pacific. She was damaged several times -- including Guadalcanal ( more specifically, the Battle of Santa Cruz) -- but survived the war intact. Her sister ship, the Hornet, was lost at Santa Cruz, however.

Second, the nuclear-powered Enterprise is in fact still an active commissioned carrier in the US Atlantic fleet.

[end history lesson] :)

Originally posted by Napoleon
No the USS Enterprise, the first Nuclear Naval Carrier or for that matter first nuclear powered ship at all
That honor would go to the submarine USS Nautilus.
...it now still at sea as one of the carriers in the US fleet. IIRC it is currently assigned to the Atalantic fleet
Absolutely correct. Stationed in Norfolk Naval Base, Hamptom Roads, Virginia.

I meant surface ships, so the Nautillus was not the first surface ship, the Enterprise was along with a cruiser and IIRC a destroyer. The three of them cruised around the world without refueling just to show the world that we did it

You want all the WC ships in one game?

I've tried it. The Ferret is extremely powerful, but not quite as much as the Raptor. And the Hhriss just happens to beat out everything from WC1-WC3 except for the fancy version of the Excalibur.

Of course you can't do this until I release the XWA WCTC. :)

Of course, the WC3+ ships, possessing exponentially higher armor strengths, should make short work of anything before that era...

WC3 also has those higher armor since the ships there have over 80 while all the ships in WC2 have in the 10's and lower range so most WC3 ships have x10 that of pervious shps. So WC3-4-P ships would all probably be more evenly matched against each other than those against WC1 and 2

Originally posted by Roach
And speaking of short lifespans, what about the Morningstar? On a related topic, whose idea was it to make the Mace a remote detonated weapon instead of a contact warhead? I don't believe confed R&D developed a Tac-Nuke simply to kill fighter squadrons in close formation.

I seem to recall the Mace WAS meant to be a contact warhead. Maniac specifically mentions shooting it to set it off to take out fighters. (Hmmm.... being within gunrange of a Tac-Nuke on detonation .... Maniac never was that smart).

Actually I think that was the Primary purpose of the Mace, to take out formations of fighters. Or perhaps it's job was to be a replacement for the torp, but it had some developmental problems

The original mace (in SO2) was essentially a huge dumb fire -- you could set it off to destroy entire groups of fighters by firing at it with your guns.

The later version of the mace (WC4) gave you more control over the weapon...

I mean Mace (G)

Fly the 'capture the carrier' mission in Speradon, and afterwards you can put Maces in your torpedo hardpoints.

Just how do you beat that mission anyways? I've always had to do the other two missions when ever I choose that path.
You take out the fighters, then the gun turrents, but what are you supposed to do after that? It says something about taking out the ships engines, but I could never quite figure out how. The leech cannon doesn't seem to have any effect on that ship. I tried shooting at all the blue points at the ship but that didn't seem to do anything either.

I meant surface ships, so the Nautillus was not the first surface ship, the Enterprise was...
Well, now, you didn't specifiy that, did you? You said "first nuclear powered ship at all" -- a description which includes submarines. :)

Back