Nubien

Yea Tolwyn really needed to rethink things. I guess he kindda turned into a Hitler. *ponders that very depressing remark* Yep, and he could have been just as bad had Blair not stepped in.

Oh, he certainly wasn't going to do it to every planet, but to "improve" the genetic stock, you would need to weed out a fair amount of the peple who don't meet your definition of the Master Race. Which kind of sucks for all those billions of people who get killed because someone doesn't think they're good enough. :(

Best, Raptor

The master race. Sounds just like the Nazis. You aren't part of the master race so we are going to kill you because its all your fault. Yep, his genius went cracker.

VERY true. It's really a good thing that Blair stopped him. In World War II history, who would Blair be compaired to? A general? Patton? Who actually brought down the Nazis?

While the Black Lance could be called Nazis, the WC4 situation was quite differant to WW2. The BL was a renegade faction rather than the government, were acting covertly rather than openly, and the conflict never proceeded to a full scale war.

Best, Raptor

Originally posted by pygmypiranha
(...)He had been a honorable character that I had always looked at as very noble and perhaps the best leader. But maybe I am just getting too into the story... anyone else feel the same?

I am curious: when did you get that impression? I mean in bth WC2 and WC3, Tolwyn doesn't appear very likeable (capable, yes) and in fact it's only in WC4 that I began to find him likeable (before the BL was revealed) which was surely also in the developer's intent.

Granted, if you go by the novels, he seems very noble and so on.

Originally posted by pygmypiranha
VERY true. It's really a good thing that Blair stopped him. In World War II history, who would Blair be compaired to? A general? Patton? Who actually brought down the Nazis?

That's kinda hard to say. Realistically it was more the Russians than the Allies that defeated the Nazis, but it was the Allies who tied up a good portion of Hitler's resources once he lost the campaign into Russia.

I don't think there really is a good historical referance there. (Because, as Raptor said, it wasn't really a "country vs. country" outline.)

Mekt, that really would, probably, be the only way to see Tolwyn as a likeable character (the novels). Unless you were taking him as a capable officer, which would generally tend you to make him respectable-some people equate this with likeable though.

Yep, I was going mainly by the novels. The novels show him as a person that stands up for his soldiers and tries to get everything done right. In WC3 he was just not having any luck with anything he was doing (IE the Behemoth) but by the time WC4 rolled around to a close you just plain hated the guy.

I honestly wasn't very surprised when Tolwyn was revealed to be behind the Black Lance and its misdoings. My friend, who had never played a Wing Commander game (save bits and pieces of WC3) got WC4 before I did. It shocked him... but, from experiencing Tolwyn's "wonderful :rolleyes:" personality from WC3, I was left saying "It figures, dude...."

Originally posted by Raptor
While the Black Lance could be called Nazis, the WC4 situation was quite differant to WW2. The BL was a renegade faction rather than the government, were acting covertly rather than openly, and the conflict never proceeded to a full scale war.

I think the Black Lance wasn't that different compared to the Nazis (in ideology). I mean they might not have been renegades but they were not the government until their "coup" and they did have quite a number of covert actions (the brown shirts come to mind, they weren't officially associated with the Nazis at first) going on before they came into power. I wonder if Tolwyn ever read Nietzche (Will to Power, Zarathustra)? ;)

I was just hoping that he wasn't the one... ya know? I mean he was a really honorable person and an excellent leader... I guess I was just hoping that it wasn't him. I'll nenver forget the part in WC:FA that the marine is stripping the admiral of his rank. I remember being really sad about that. Throughout all of the books I grew attached and respected that man of honor and when WC4 came around and showed me what a monster he was it shattered my entire picture of him. Everything that I had grown to adore about the man was smashed.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
No one who knows the stats of the Arrow in WC4 was surprised about Tolwyn. :)
Hmmm. I don't suppose the guy who designed the Epee was working for the Society of Mandarins? :D

Best, Raptor

Too bad for the Mandarins! I can kick buttocks in an Epee. It would be ironic if an Epee and myself were the instruments of their undoing.:)

Back