Never enough Scimitars!

I had a friend who had it. It's still kicking around in second hand shops if you look hard enough.

I got one of the CZers (Mad Hatter, I think) to hunt it down for me on the internet last year :).

I've had mine for years, but the pages at the beginning are torn b/c the cover's gone (too many trips to the beach!); it had that famous screenshot of WC when it was still Squadron. I still love the thing; it was about the only source of WC background info before WC3, but because the name in the book is Carl "Prankster" LaFong and the official WC3-and-beyond-name is Christopher "Maverick" Blair, I think that most people discount it.
Anyways, back to the Scimitars and other schips...

this may sound nuts but I like the Scims.

I like 'em too; I've never quite figured out why, other than the fact that they're a huge improvement armour- and armament-wise over the Hornet (which I also like). It's kinda hard to absolutely *hate* any ship in WC1 though, as there are only 4 of 'em, and they're fairly similar, at least compared to the other games. For example, WC2 had the tiny Ferret and Epee, the mid-range Rapier and Sabre, and the huge Broadsword; the other 3 games followed suit.

Oh, no, I absolutely hate the Scrimitar. Slow, heavy gun slug...

I liked it a bit after flying a Hornet, especially when I saw those Dralthi explode after I emptied the gun capacitors...but then I started trying to manuver. Ugh...

What a coincedence! Monday after my classes i went to a used software store and they had a copy of the strategy guide with a WC1/Ultima 7 cd for 10 bucks and i got it. I finished reading it today. Its fantastic. Fortunately Carl LeFong rarely refers to himself as so and its easy to think Chris Blair instead.

The guide is the basis for a lot of things... (stuff like Maniac's background and the KS Academy type manual stuff...).

I picked up the SoftWare Toolworks edition of WC1/Ultima VI last weekend! Go!

I grabbed a factory sealed six-games package that includes WC1 Deluxe on it off of eBay the other day -- six bucks!

Originally posted by Rampage3051
For example, WC2 had the tiny Ferret and Epee, the mid-range Rapier and Sabre, and the huge Broadsword; the other 3 games followed suit.
Despite its shocking defences, the Sabre really is a heavy fighter. And I think you'll agree there's much more diversity in the ship designs of WCP/SO.

I never minded the defenses of the Sabre that much, seeing as was fast and it had a ton of firepower. Besides, what other fighter in WC can deliver half a dozen torpedoes?

Best, Raptor

The Paktahn's from WC3, and it's also a bomber, so it compares alot differently. The Gothri is, for all intents and purposes, a Kilrathi Sabre with better armour. I remember when I first saw them and mistook them for Drak'hri...never happened again. :)

Speaking of phasing the Scim out, anyone else remember in SM2? (Maybe 1, it's been a while) where Halcyon announced that the Scim was offically being retired. There was cheering for a very good reason. Personally, I'll take a Hornet over a Scim anyday. Try taking the losing track all the way to Chengdu, you'll face a few Gratha there, beat it, and you'll wind up in Brimstone. Just tell me which is easier: fighting Gratha in Hornets with Angel, or fighting them in Scims with Maniac?

Thought so. Looks like it's time to reload those and try them again though. Only thing stopping me is the thought of trying to fight Hriss in a Dralthi again. UGH! There's the one time I would have rather had a Scim.

I wept when they retired the Scimitar.

Hmmm, I seem to say that so much I should include it in my signature.

Back