Never enough Scimitars!

Originally posted by RATM
But i cant stress enough how the hornet is very good, the lasers fire hella fast on it. and they got range, the rapier is all nice and good but its got crappier armor then the hornet, lose the shields and boom.

If you let the enemy hit you enough to smash your armor you deserve to die. Always turn and burn.

That seems rather harsh. Just cause we take some damage doesnt mean we should die. If that were the case why even have sheilds and armor. Just one hit to kill us cause if we get hit "then we deserve to die".

Originally posted by Supdon3
Why? 'Cause their cost effective?
Cost-effectiveness is supposedly the same argument for the existence of Hellcats and corvettes.

Originally posted by Quarto
This, of course, is the last Scim-related update - not only is it the best Scimitar there could ever be, but it's also bug-free.
Always thought the old Scimitar models where a bit too flat compared to the original WC1 sprites.

Yeah, but against heavier ships you may as well be throwing sticks and stones at them.
True, but I did manage to blow up those three Fralthi in a Hornet. :)

I had to go all the way back to the first page to find where you quoted me!

Three Fralthi or not, there are much more effective ways to go about it. Lasers are a last resort, one i go to kicking and screaming, just like everytime they tell me i have to fly a Hornet:)

Im all for things being cost effective. Thats the point behind the whole Midway program isnt it? Especially if its a reason to keep the Scimitar around. Yay!

I also realized that another instance in which the Scimitar is used is in the WCATV. It was more often than i had originally thought.

Oh, I wasn't saying I was for the Hornet, lasers are pretty weak, but, eventually, they took down the Fralthi. :)

I just remember those endless turning matches against heavier ships when i couldnt hit them enough times with the lasers to break through their shields. It was almost a god send when one of my lasers got destroyed:) Rapid fire helped.

Just like if you were closer to your target, the shots hit quicker decreasing the number on the screen allowing you to fire more faster.

Yeah, I guess. When I feel like shooting the Tiger's Claw, I have to make sure the sprite doesn't turn, because this distorts the bitmap and slows down the game (I run it on a 386).

Originally posted by Wedge009
Always thought the old Scimitar models where a bit too flat compared to the original WC1 sprites.
The old Scim model was based on the WCA Scim, which was much simpler in shape (though still not as simple as the model ;)). This one is most definitely game-based, right down to the colour scheme. Mind you, I liked the WCA Scims too, but you just gotta appreciate a classic design :).

Originally posted by Wedge009
True, but I did manage to blow up those three Fralthi in a Hornet. :)
Then you weren't following orders... :)
Then again, neither did I the first time. <G>

That seems rather harsh. Just cause we take some damage doesnt mean we should die. If that were the case why even have sheilds and armor. Just one hit to kill us cause if we get hit "then we deserve to die".

You misunderstand. They normally can't toast you with just one hit. However if you don't maneuver and let them hit you again and you die - its your own fault.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
I definately don't remember rate of fire increasing when you lose a gun...

Perhaps he's referring to the fact that he could squeeze of more shots before his capacitators ran out.

Originally posted by mpanty
Then you weren't following orders... :)
Then again, neither did I the first time. <G>

Hey if you can toast the 3 Fralthis now why wait for later? Its not like they're going to court martial you or something.

Originally posted by Penguin
Hey if you can toast the 3 Fralthis now why wait for later? Its not like they're going to court martial you or something.

You can be court martialed for destroying the Grimalkin...

While we're on the topic of early WC games, does anyone out there (besides LOAF) actually own that ooooold WC1/2 strategy guide? The one that's written like a big fan fic, with the Origin interviews at the end.

Back