Missile launch! Hit the deck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bob McDob: Yeah flak is terrifying. Janes ATF flight sim simulates a Vietnam campaign. I was flying along in my F-4J Phantom towards my assigned target. The flak guns start tracking me and all of a sudden all hell breaks loose. Huge explosions all around, I freak and dive towards the ground - right into the Zeus-23s. There's gunfire all around, my Phantom's eating lead, so I pull up back into the flak cloud. More explosions, jeez I shudder to think of what the real thing was like.

Anyways back to WC. Flak guns were freaking effective. Those things used to eat their way through my shields, regardless of whether I was in a Sabre or a Broadsword. It got to the point where the shield indicator became a countdown to my death. Why the hell did they ditch the flak turrets after WC2?

Wedge009: Yeah IIRC Jazz said something to that effect.

Flak guns did come back after WC2 -- they were especially terrifying in Armada (they got the flak sound just right... it was *scary*).

Yeah, that's Jazz' quote in regards to the situation in Enigma... with all the cats and stuff. Exact quote: "With those enemy carriers moving into this system... ...it's getting so you can't swing a dead catwithout hitting a Jalkehi. No offense, Hobbes."

The Phalanx is an old, old missile.

I thought USNF has the 'Nam campaign. Tried it once...I'm not quite sure what happened -shudder-...

I'm pretty sure the Phalanx is a relativly recent radar-controlled gun designed to shoot down missiles. I think the turrets in WC are supposed to do that...has anyone ever seen a time where they actually WORKED? :D

As for flak...I'd imagine a heavily armed flak cruiser would be quite effective...does anyone have any stats, stories, etc. on how effective flak REALLY is? Maybe we can all pressure Darkmage to put it back in WC Universe... :D

Originally posted by Bob McDob
The logical extension of this concept is a capship entirely devoted to flak guns (a AA cruiser). Iv'e already drawn up a blueprint for it.

AA Cruisers were used during WW2. The current day equivalent would be the Aegis cruisers (e.g. Ticonderoga), except they are equipped with missiles. If someones firing Mach 2 missiles at you, a gun has barely a few seconds to try to shoot it down.

Yes., there were AA cruisers...except they had dual-purpose 5-inchers...one of them was the Atlanta-class Juneau, destroyed during Guadacanal and taking the five Sullivan brothers with her (a destroyer was later named after them). It also bears the name of a certain Confed heavy cruiser...

Bob McDob: The Vietnam campaign comes with either USNF '97 or Fighters Anthology.
As for missile cruisers. Imagine a capship armed with Swarmers...
:cool: if they're on our side.
:eek: if they're not.

I don't have to imagine... I've seen a WC4 Frigate converted to WCP (as a corvette), and it had been given Swarmers. Attacking it was the briefest, yet most traumatic WC experience I've ever had.

I'll bet. What would be a strategy for dealing with such missile cruisers? Overwhelm them with fighter fodder until they run out of missiles?

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
Flak guns did come back after WC2 -- they were especially terrifying in Armada (they got the flak sound just right... it was *scary*).
They did indeed, I wasn't too worried about flak in WC2 'cause of the lack of a decent sound. Still, I regularly fought fighters under the flak umbrellas of capships without getting too damaged. It only gets bad when there's more than two capships throwing flak.

I especially liked the flak of the Vsuvius, which could still fire on you, when you where inside her. But I think that was just a programming error :)

Too, capship turrets are always shooting through themselves. Just fly inside the 'arms' of the Tiamat...

Originally posted by Wedge009
Er, I don't think the Vesuvius carries flak cannons.

But what would you qualify a flak? Certainly a high firing rate, like the ones that took out Knight in the WCM.

Joan's Fighting Spacecraft 2664.128 Update
Flak Cannon: ...th largest ships also lay down heavy flak barrage that can bring down any fighter.
I believe that flak cannons 'spray' rather than 'shoot' at a fighter, as laser turrets do.

Confed does have missile frigates -- frigates have missile batteries, and can be mounted with CSMs...

Err, and flak guns in WC are a specific type of weapon, not the name for all AA fire. <G>

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF

Yeah, that's Jazz' quote in regards to the situation in Enigma... with all the cats and stuff. Exact quote: "With those enemy carriers moving into this system... ...it's getting so you can't swing a dead catwithout hitting a Jalkehi. No offense, Hobbes."
"Do not apologize Major. I rarely listen to what you have to say." :D

A flak gun is a heavy anti-aircraft weapon. What it does is it lobs a large round towards the target. The round goes off spraying anti-aircraft shrapnel creating a lethal blast radius. Flak guns rely on the blast radius, not pinpoint accuracy to kill aircraft. Watch old war footage. The big explosions around the aircraft are the flak guns.

WC laser turrets and the guns mounted on todays warships are not flak guns. Using computers they are able to better target hostiles, thus allowing for faster refire rates. That is why contemporary gun systems like the American Phalanx Close In Weapon System (CIWS) uses 20mm rounds, while the Russian CADS N-1 system uses 30mm rounds. Older WWII systems typically had heavier rounds.

[Edited by Penguin on 06-09-2001 at 18:27]

There are different calibers of lasers in WC... from huge batteries to small anti-fighter lasers (what is usually simulated in the game).

Not anymore -- the stormfire is very inefficient, since it requires that rounds be stored instead of energy generated.

Capships do use gatling mounts that shoot down torpedoes, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back