Missile launch! Hit the deck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
20000 !!!!!! a lot....
Is the warhead of the P missiles the same of other WC games..., maybe they are so cheap because they are for civilians.

Mmmmh... don't think so... I don't have the stats here, but I *think* the penetration is the same as in the WC1 and 2 games...

Though LOAF might surely tell you more... :)

[Edited by mpanty on 06-02-2001 at 17:30]

The Privateer missiles are certainly less effective (and therefore cheaper) than what the military uses in '69... but I don't think there can be *that* much of a difference.

(Ignoring the incredible expense of the Seekers and Nuke Mines in Action Stations... <G>)

I was watching a television show based on the real life USMC. Anyways what happened was 2 F/A-18 Hornets were chasing an F-5 that was simulating a bandit. The wingleader flew ahead of his wingman who then simulated firing an AIM-120 AMRAAM. The wingman thought the missile would stayed locked onto the assigned target but the missile actually went up his wingleader's tail. In the debrief the wingleader explained that the missile does this because once launched it actually goes after the nearest target in its search pattern.

I remember firng an FF when there weren't any bandits. It actually just sat there! :)

Oh yeah. I doubt that the AIM-54 is more accurate than the AIM-120 considering that the AIM-120 is much newer technology. As for the R-77, well being Russian its probably cheaper than it's western equivalents. It also has other advantages like the Russians will sell to anyone with the cash and a ramjet powered version is available, offering greater range than any other Beyond Visual Range missile, with the exception of the Phoenix.

Why yes...

The Pilum FF in WC only locks onto its launcher if the launcher has his communication system damaged, thereby not broadcasting the right IFF signal... :eek:

Yeah, I nearly destroyed Hobbes by accident in WC2 that way.

Originally posted by Mav23
I was using Jackhammers, they couldn't hit a moving target if their creators life depended on it!

Ah, no surprise. Jackhammers are against small capital ships (or components of larger ships), not for fighters. :D

[Edited by Mekt-Hakkikt on 06-03-2001 at 09:28]

How? Was he not broadcasting as a friendly? No matter how damaged any of my ships or wingmates get, they never stop bradcasting an IFF signal.

I killed Stiletto once. She and I were both tailing this one Manta, and I fired a missile (otherwise, she'd get the kill)...so, she moves right in front of the missile. Boom! Red all over my radar...

EDIT: Take out a WC3 Longbow, loading it all up with FoF missiles. Then, hit "B" and enter four times. It's actually incredibly amusing to see where all those little yellow dots go.

[Edited by Nep Parth on 06-03-2001 at 09:43]

Hobbes's ship was badly damaged (by Kilrathi ships from an earlier engagement), so I assume his communication system was destroyed and thus my Pilum didn't know that he was a friend.

In WC1, Pilums will target 'good' Kilrathi ships -- the marine Dralthi, the captured Ralari and Hobbes' Fralthi.

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt
Yeah, I nearly destroyed Hobbes by accident in WC2 that way.

I was using Jackhammers, they couldn't hit a moving target if their creators life depended on it!

Ah, no surprise. Jackhammers are against small capital ships (or components of larger ships), not for fighters. :D

[Edited by Mekt-Hakkikt on 06-03-2001 at 09:28]

oh, but it says it's good against "static" targets, so I assumed static targets meant ships that moved fast, and I figured fighters :( oh well...

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
In WC1, Pilums will target 'good' Kilrathi ships -- the marine Dralthi, the captured Ralari and Hobbes' Fralthi.
Grrrr... how stupid is that?!

I always wondered why that one time, I fired a Pilum right on the tail of a Krant, while dogfighting near the friendly Fralthi, and the missile turned around straight (right towards the Fralthi, apparently)... :mad:

[Edited by mpanty on 06-03-2001 at 17:30]

Static means stationary, as opposed to Dynamic.
Still, I guess you know this now :D

oh, but it says it's good against "static" targets, so I assumed static targets meant ships that moved fast, and I figured fighters :( oh well...

Well... it should be the nearest, period!! :)

But who am I to discuss what WC missiles should or should not do, mmmh? ;)

The new American AIM-120 AMRAAM is essentially the most accurate and sophisticated missile in existance used by any armed forces today. While it is true the missile is a "fire and Forget" missile that doesn't mean it won't get updates to its targeting computer from another source. When most AMRAAM missiles are fired they are actually fired based off of the radar targets of a nearby AWACS. This is done for two reasons the most important being that the firing american aircraft doesn't have to give away there position by having there radar turned on all the time. this allows for a much more stealthy approach. especially for aircraft like the f-22 that have stealth properties. Another advantage of the AIM-120 is that no current enemy missile detection systems are able to detect the missile is locked onto the aircraft unless it is within 5 miles of the target aircraft. Now i don't know the specifics of why this is but it has to do with the type of radar used by the amraam. this compliments aircraft such as the f-22 perfectly because it allows the aircraft to not have to give away its position to fire a missile. As far as these friendly fire issues that are being brought up I haven't heard anything like this but it really seems improbable that something like that owuld happen. of course the missile is new and probobly still has bugs. look how many generations of missiles the sidewinder went through. And as far as the sparrow is concerned it has never been a good missile with a terrible accuracy rate.

The AMRAAM isn't exactly brand new. It has been in use for about ten years already; it was used in the Gulf. I haven't heard any of this friendly fire stuff either, though. Also, concerning the radar, it is an LPI or Low Probability of Intercept radar, which is a very high frequency that is hard to pick up on most ECM sets.

well i meant new in the sense that it's only recently come into widespread service. Even in the gulf war it was only used in a few "test" cases. Most of the kills in that war came from sparrow and sidewinder missiles. Surprisingly i think the iraqi's even got an air to air kill with one of there mig-25's. But I don't really think any missiles in service today could be considered equivalent to confeds fof missile. maybe closer to the IR missile

I liked the AIM-120 in Jane's ATF. It was neat because I always shot the other guy down with them so I carried lots.

I've read that the first air to air kill of the Gulf War was a USMC F/A-18 Hornet downed by an Iraqi MiG-25. There does seem to be some dispute, since some sources state that the Hornet was actually downed by an SA-6. But it's all water under the bridge.

As for the AMRAAM, could the five mile detection range be based on the fact that the AMRAAM isn't using it's radar? As was previously mentioned couldn't an AWACS vector the missile close to the target before the missile activates it's radar seeker? I understand there are anti-ship missiles that don't activate their radar until they reach the terminal phase of their flight. At that point they activate their active radar seeker to home in on the target, but otherwise rely on inertial information and midcourse updates from third party sources like an AWACS to get close.

Ah yes ATF. Yes ATF did in fact simulate the 'only detect within five miles rule' for the AMRAAM. And yes that missile was unbelievably accurate, good thing too, since the enemy typically had between 8-12 fighters while you only had your wingman...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back