Missile launch! Hit the deck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Zor Prime
And this whole time, I thought that IR stood for idiot recognition!
HEY! That pun is mine!! :D

Originally posted by mpanty, in the "INSULTS" thread
Hey Mekt, remember that last time you were on my tail, and I flew right between you and your wingman... poor cat, never new he was hit by friendly fire... well next time, I'm going to bring some Spiculum Idiot Recognition missiles to fire at you!
Check page 43 of the thread!! :p

My oh my... those were good times! <G>

[Edited by mpanty on 06-05-2001 at 17:03]

Raven0215: Yeah I've also heard that Aegis can track hundreds of targets. Small wonder the Chinese don't want the Taiwanese to get any...
I think Confed should go back to flak turrets, not stormfires, for point defense. Your Phoenix missile concept is nice, but this is what I envisage. A capship missile refitted for anti-fighter duties. Give it the same warhead as the Mace. Fire it at approaching bug formations. Count your kills.

mpanty: mwahhahahahahahahahahahah!!! hahahahahahaha!!!
Ahem! Sorry. :p

Originally posted by Quarto
It's 3000 :). At 4000, there's a fairly high chance of the torpedo getting shot down, and at 2000, you are likely to get hurt when the torpedo hits.
Well, I've always managed to get away with 4000. I'm too impatient with the Broadsword. :)

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
The last generation of flak cannons -- in Armada -- was *incredibly* effective.

Those cannons scared the piss out of me. If you were dog-fighting, and you got too close to the carrier, they would just start hurling flack at you, and there was no way to avoid it. It was esp. frustrating if you were in something light cuz you took more damage than a helicopter taking off in the desert during the Carter Administration...then again, bombers could take the damage but were too slow to really get away from it quick enough...

BTW, I noticed that Armada used the WC3 engine, but it was sub-par. Why didn't they just "up" the engine like they did for WC3?

Armada came out before WC3 -- and was the 'prototype' of the engine... so it wasn't as nice.

The flak cannons in Armada were great -- you could bring along your carrier and force enemy fighters to attack you while in the flak umbrella... and they'd die quick.

It looks very similar graphically, but still there are some noticeable differences. Is it also similar to the Privateer engine?

No, Priv2 uses a licensed engine called B-Render... which is, I note, absolutely incredible -- it can render hundreds of 3D ships at once on a 486... <G>

Doubt it. Should've used P2's engine in Prophecy!

Wow... Privateer's engine was a modified WC1 engine...cool! That would make Strike Commander similar too no?

Ahhh Vixen! huhuhu CRAZY ADNAN!!!! and that other Arabian bloke! hehehe arabs are cool!

No, SC uses a 3D engine... which formed the basis for the WCIII technology.

Yeah, there are situations with hundreds of ships in Privateer 2 -- at least one (the easter egg bit).

Well I didn't get to see the Easter Egg. Care to describe it?

And I thought SC's engine was spiffy! :) I thought it was related to Privateer because of the similar pixelated graphics, similar cut scenes, similar 'game paused' fonts, you get the idea.

But the fighters were in 3D, which is a markedly different engine effect. :)

If you sit around without moving in the Sinner's for a while, p2 will jump to a big space battle with lots of fighters.

IIRC, WC1/2/Priv use the same engine.
SC and Armada both use RealSpace in low-res, while WC3/4 use RealSpace in both 320 and 640 resolution modes.
WCP/SO use Vision.

I could be wrong about the Strike Commander bit.

Intersting phenomemon: As of this moment, both of my threads each have the exact same amount of posts.

Oops, guess I just messed it up. Oh well. ^_^;;;

We now return you to your regularly scedruled programming. :D
[Side note:

Originally posted by Penguin

I think Confed should go back to flak turrets, not stormfires, for point defense. Your Phoenix missile concept is nice, but this is what I envisage. A capship missile refitted for anti-fighter duties. Give it the same warhead as the Mace. Fire it at approaching bug formations. Count your kills.

Don't you mean Phalanx missile? :D

(really bad attempt at apun...the real phalanx is a gun...)

Seriously, I agree that flak cannons were much better. I don't know how relevent it is, but in Viet Nam about 90 per cent of US aircraft shot down were done in by flak. The logical extension of this concept is a capship entirely devoted to flak guns (a AA cruiser). Iv'e already drawn up a blueprint for it. Problem is, I have no idea what to do with it. Maybe somebody could use it in a fanfic or something.]

[Edited by Bob McDob on 06-07-2001 at 23:36]

That's nice.

I just wanted to say something about the thread that TC closed recently, "Question: WC1 characters".

Originally posted by Supdon3
You can't swing a cat without hitting one aroung here
Wasn't this said by Jazz regarding swinging Jalkehis or something in WC2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back