Missile launch! Hit the deck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob McDob

Better Health Through Less Flavor
Recently I was reading how the AMRAAM missile ran into problems in which two missiles, when fired, tended to both go after the nearest target. This, of course, made me wonder about the Pilum FF, and its advancement over the AMRAAM, and Wing Commander missiles vs. Modern day missiles. Hence, this thread. :D

But back to the immediete question. As it's been a while since I played Prophecy, a Friend-or-Foe will go after the nearest target broadcasting an IFF signal, no?

A Friend or foe missile locks onto the nearest friend or foe( if you boosted ahead of it it might hit you) one time I was playing WC Academy and a Pilum FF hit me because I launched it and no other objects were in the area.

A Friend-Or-Foe missile will go after the closest fighter with an unrecognized transponder FoF signal or any fighter NOT BROADCASTING A FoF SIGNAL.

Well... technically it should, from the characteristics of the Pilum FF... :)

I don't know what you mean by AMRAAM missile... you're talking about something in real life, developed by the military? What's special about it?

Reminds me though of the "intelligent" missiles used on Vukar Tag in End Run...

All the missiles were linked to each other, and were each designed to lock on a specific location...
Once a missile got hit, the missile locks were shifted according to the target importance e.g. if a missile targeting the main strike objective was shot down, another missile would immediately divert from a less important target onto the main strike objective...
Pretty cool... :cool:

Yeah...one of my favorate tactic was to load up on FOFs, and empty them out on enemy ships. In retrospect, this might not have been the best idea, but hey, it left less time for the enemy to actually hurt you. :D

mpanty, the AIM-120 AMRAAM is the Advanced Medium Range Air-to-Air Missile presently in use in the United States military, supplanting the AIM-7 Sparrow radar-guided missile. The AIM-120 is an active radar seeker, making it a fire-and-forget weapon; the missile's seeker head locks onto the radar signature of the target and homes in on it on its own. The Sparrow had to 'ride' the radar beam of the shooter aircraft, which required the shooter to keep the target boresighted, creating problems when the shooter couldn't go evasive.

Oh, yes, they are quite expensive. I doubt they are much more expensive than the relatively new Russian R-77, though. (I think that's the one I'm thinking of, anyway...)

The FF-swarm strategy doesn't sound too good for me ....
With the speed they fly at, I would imagine they would turn too slow to allow for re-targetting and actually get a good angle on the second target after the first blows up. But then again I mostly use my FF's like HS's anyway .... they miss way too much on their own :p As for FF's hitting the launching ship, I've done that lots of times back when I started playing WC1 ... happens when you launch an FF and there's no enemy ships around. It just blows up right outside the launcher .... lol.

IIRC the AMRAAMs actually work more like WC Spiculums than the FF's .... the pilot has to lock the target before launching, and only then does the missile go autonomous. Maybe the problems they had was just some goof pilot forgetting to switch targets :p

-pen

Originally posted by penspinner
The FF-swarm strategy doesn't sound too good for me ....
With the speed they fly at, I would imagine they would turn too slow to allow for re-targetting and actually get a good angle on the second target after the first blows up. But then again I mostly use my FF's like HS's anyway .... they miss way too much on their own :p As for FF's hitting the launching ship, I've done that lots of times back when I started playing WC1 ... happens when you launch an FF and there's no enemy ships around. It just blows up right outside the launcher .... lol.

IIRC the AMRAAMs actually work more like WC Spiculums than the FF's .... the pilot has to lock the target before launching, and only then does the missile go autonomous. Maybe the problems they had was just some goof pilot forgetting to switch targets :p

-pen

Two thoughts:

1. I hate the FF swarm. The Tracker in WCP allows you to
do this. I use to volley them off in the hope that 16 FF
missiles would give the bad guys something to think about.
Instead it gave the closest ship something to think about,
and everybody else just kept coming. It could be made
more effective if there was a single targeting unit in the
Tracker which assigned targets *before* the missile broke up. It would assign a different target to each missile, then let 'em loose. That'll cause a swarm of Morays to think twice!

2. AMRAAM is not *quite* an IR. I've got a book at home
about training F-18 pilots to, among other things, use
the AMRAAM. They described it as like a Rottweiler --
once you let it loose, you don't want to be anywhere near
it. It'll home on the first thing that enters its
search pattern, and can't distinguish between blips. They
described one pilot as washing out for, among other
problems, simulating an AMRAAM firing without looking to
see whether there was anything other than the intended target in the way of the shot. In a real firing, she'd
have killed her wingman.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

I didn't say it is an IR. It is a radar homing missile. It locks on to the radar signature of the target and doesn't let go. It is one of the most accurate missiles in the US arsenal, topped only by the AIM-54 Phoenix.

I just downloaded the StarLancer trial version, and I MUST say, that StarLancer missiles SUCK!

(WC missiles: MUCH better :))

well, I guess I have to buy the full game in order to find ALL the sucky things about it, but it is pretty fun IMO. I did find it annoying that the pilots didn't even move their heads on the inflight comms (which signifies LIFE! :)) and that the Japanese squadron leader, had TWO voices!

Originally posted by Mav23
I just downloaded the StarLancer trial version, and I MUST say, that StarLancer missiles SUCK!

(WC missiles: MUCH better :))

Later in the game you get better missiles. But in comparison to WC Starlancer sucks totally. :)

I was using Jackhammers, they couldn't hit a moving target if their creators life depended on it!

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
Luckily, at least according to Privateer, missiles in Wing Commander are very, very cheap.
Well yeah... could you imagine the expenses if they weren't...

Fusion Cannons are already very expensive, imagine if we had on top of that, fork out 1000 credits for each Pilum FF... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back