Maniac's Home of Record

Originally posted by Oggy
If you don't screw anything up, you get to talk to [Maniac] in the bar
You can still talk to him anytime he's in there, screwup or not. And you can fly as perfectly as you like, you still fly with him at some point in either or both SMs.

Wha...??

Maniac... was married!? He was the Wing Commander on the Victory!? When did these things happen? How do you people know these things!?

Wowe!

:eek:

IIRC He was the WC of the Victory brfore Blair arrives in WC3, that is the reason of his hostilitie.

Ehh, you'll get used to it. When I first started visiting here, I thought I knew a fair bit from having familiarised myself with the games - much of the information which was new to me came from the novels and official game guides. I can't say I enjoy or like everything in WC's 'expanded' universe, but you just have to accept it as official.

Good

It's always good to see a deserving franchise get the "expanded universe," it deserves, though. Wing Commander has been truly underestimated and overlooked.

This place RULEZ!! Maybe even as much as the Maniac!

:D

Maniac was second in command of the wing -- when the previous Wing Commander died, Maniac took over temporarily. He'd hoped for a promotion, but Blair was assigned instead.

Suggested reading is the Wing Commander novels released by Baen and the WC:p Strategy Guide.

Col.Dom, there are only two ways you'd possibly not learn something new here every visit:
1. You have to play all the games, with all the possible winning and losing paths (ie see all the cutscenes), read all the novels/game guides and related materials, see all movies/tv-shows (why the heck did I use plural here?!?), have a photographic memory and have worked at Origin for the entire WC development. Even then there is only a slim chance.
2. You have to be LOAF.
:p

Originally posted by LeHah
Suggested reading is the Wing Commander novels released by Baen and the WC:p Strategy Guide.

The trick is finding some of them. Used bookstores are a good bet for the Baen books. The Prima guide for Prophecy I've had a bit of trouble tracking down. But, in all honesty haven't tried too hard. I looked in the where to buy section, but if any of them still had it listed as a product they said it was a special order. Unfortunately, I've found over the years, that often means they will send a request for it to the publisher, but don't hold your breath.

There is no trick involved. Worst case scenario, a little detective work is all. The answers you seek are usually the most obvious in a very obvious lot.

I'd say most all of the Baen novels can be had off of Amazon.com or the like. Some more uncommon ones, like Heart of the Tiger or Action Stations, you can grab at Half.com for a very cheap price (I got a mint copy of HotT there for $1.25 no more than 3 months ago and Action Stations for a dollar under it's cover price in the same condition).

If you're looking for End Run, Half.com seems to have a good ammount, but since I mentioned that Half.com has them in good quantity, the price on it has shot up to stupid prices, like $40 for a dog-eared, spine worn copy.

If you're looking for a strategy guide, I'd suggest hitting not only Half.com and the devil that is nessessary - Ebay - but video game sites. Sometimes they have stuff kicking around. Also, call the printing company or email them, it can do wonders.

I was looking for "The Prisoner, vol 3" soundtrack, which no one had. Guess who had it? The people that printed it. Wow, big surprise, eh?

Like I said, I haven't been trying all that hard :) I have all the Baen novels, bought them all when they first came out. In fact last year I found a couple at a used bookstore and donated them to the CIC to give out as prizes for the anniversary party. I shipped a couple to Quarto as well, iirc. I'll take your suggestion of checking out half.com for the Prima guide for Prophecy. I never bought them since I consdiered them kind of like cheating, or admitting you can't beat a game without help. Lately, though I've noticed they are adding more background info to them, and they aren't just hint books but they add facts to the story. Part of me wishes the story was kept to the games and novels, but I work for a marketing agency and realize that the additional story info helps sell the guides to folks like me who would normally not buy them.

Well I got hold of the guides for WC4 and WCP after I completed the games. Why? Nice to have something to read about the games, little insights into the games and things like that. And they're not on a computer screen, which is nice to see sometimes.

Bradygames made the WC3 Strategy Guide, IIRC. Earlier copies came with "Behind the Screens: The Making of Wing Commander 3" inside it's back cover.

Originally posted by Dak
Well I got hold of the guides for WC4 and WCP after I completed the games. Why? Nice to have something to read about the games, little insights into the games and things like that. And they're not on a computer screen, which is nice to see sometimes.

Yeah, I owned the WC1/2 guide years ago, but gave it away. I have another copy on the way to me I bought on E-bay. It was handy because in an old WC club I belonged to we would use the mission selector to fly missions, so having the guide was handy to find certain types of missions. I happened to pick up WCIV's guide at the Going Out of Business Sale at Incredible Univers for .25. I wasn't all that impressed with it, which is why I stopped buying them. However, with all the cool stuff LOAF mentions from the WCP I will be keeping an eye out for it.

Anyone know a site like half.com which has the WC novels and can do international shippings?
Half.com works only in the USA, apparently, too bad...
For those of you looking for End Run, currently someone is offering a 'like new' state copy for $15 and several cheaper in still acceptable quality, so it's not as bad as LeHah said right now.

Back