Maniac's Home of Record

I mean pathetic in the fact that he still hasn't quite grown up and gotten it yet. I thought he had at the end of WCIV (at least in the novel) He was a jerk in WCP, though he got better later on, and the SO fiction holds out so hope for him. I just want to strangle him at times, though. As for the SO2 look... Like I said, that's where he really started to be the go to character for humor. I love the very end of SO2, after you've won and the credits have rolled. He's still stuck in his morningstar, wondering if anyone will come and get him.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
My understanding is that the WCIV 'homeworld' bit refers to the pilot's current place of residence... hence Hawk is listed as Ella rather than Mylon, and Maniac and Vagabond are listed as Sol rather than their actual place of birth...

That makes sense... however, doesn't that still present a contradiction in Maniac's case? He was always in the space force, and to my recollection, never settled down to live anywhere. As such, his current place of residence should be the last ship he served on, or his home planet of Leto, shouldn't it?

Then plenty of others could still be seen as contradictions. I reckon the pilots themselves probably filled in the bios - I'll bet some of them don't even remember the last planet they were on, so they just stick in any planet they want. :)

Maniac Maniac Maniac

During Secret Missions 1, he started to crack. He kept having dreams about going kamikazee into the Sivar Dreadnaught. By SM2 he had been yanked off the flight roster because he was defintely having mental problems. He was put back in when things got desperate.

Are you FREAKIN' SERIOUS!? Yowza! I never imagined Maniac to ever go that nutzoid! Sheesh...!

Maniac was a jerk in Prophecy, though? Aw, man! Too bad. I thought he was more of a jerk in 3, personally. I agree with Maniac "maturing," in 4. He really seemed to change for the more adult :D

Still, Maniac's the man :cool: !

Maniac was young... and at the bottom of the food chain on the 'Claw. :)

He was a 'jerk' in Prophecy in the way he excessively picked on Casey. But I guess that was overdone for the sake of having a new character as the player.

O I C

Still... Maniac never got the recognition I thought he should have got. It's good to see he at least got to command one squadron in his career.

MANIAC! HE'S THE MAN!

:cool:

IF YOU DON'T WANT TO SPOIL YOUR CONCEPTION OF MANIAC AND A SMALL PART OF THE WC:p PLOT, DO NOT READ AHEAD!

Otherwise scroll way down...

Maniac ends up commanding the Black Widow squad on the Midway in WC:p. I'll not tell you the results of that. You can find it out if you purchase the game yourself...

Anyway I've always been fond of Tom Wilson because he's an actively practicing and outgoing Catholic as well as a damned good actor lol...

I just happen to be Catholic too *shrug* :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Saturnyne

That makes sense... however, doesn't that still present a contradiction in Maniac's case? He was always in the space force, and to my recollection, never settled down to live anywhere. As such, his current place of residence should be the last ship he served on, or his home planet of Leto, shouldn't it?

Even people who spend their entire lives in the Air Force still have homes somewhere <G> Maniac wasn't always on active duty -- he rotated between test piloting and line assignments...

Originally posted by Wedge009
Maniac was young... and at the bottom of the food chain on the 'Claw. :)
I don't think he was even in the food chain on the Claw. :D
I find it funny that in WC1 you only get to fly with Maniac in the losing path missions. If you do everything right he's never your wingman.
What's strange is that I seemed to remember Maniac being in WC2 from that one time long ago I played the DOS version, but he turned out not to be (obviously) when I played the KS version some time ago.
Must be phantoms in my mind.

Yeah I know, but I've never played SO2 (yet), and I remembered him being in WC2, not just being mentioned in WC2.
But it was a long time ago, I may be confusing some games here.

Originally posted by Unforgiven
I find it funny that in WC1 you only get to fly with Maniac in the losing path missions. If you do everything right he's never your wingman.

Well, technically, Brimstone isn't on the losing path. It's one of three decision systems (Enyo and Rostov are the others). But you do have to screw something up somewhere in order to fly with him. I'll give you that much. :)

If you don't screw anything up, you get to talk to him in the bar (i think i spoke to him in Rostov), he says he is depressed about being grounded for accidently skragging a confed drayman while chasing down a kilrathi fighter

Originally posted by Saturnyne

That makes sense... however, doesn't that still present a contradiction in Maniac's case? He was always in the space force, and to my recollection, never settled down to live anywhere. (...)

He was married twice thus I think he kind of settled down somewhere in the past. Of course, maybe it's possible for a couple to live only on space ships in the future, I don't know. :)

Originally posted by Unforgiven
Yeah I know, but I've never played SO2 (yet), and I remembered him being in WC2, not just being mentioned in WC2.
But it was a long time ago, I may be confusing some games here.

Maybe you are thinking of Stingray. He kind fills the Maniac role. At least the "shooting your mouth off" portion. :) I'd like to know more about Maniac's wives. I think deep down he is a good guy, but getting through that exterior to the point you'd want to marry him...

Considering the length of both marriages (or the lack of length) I think the women didn't have the patience to get to this point. ;)

But I agree, Maniac is a good guy at the core, as Blair says in WCP. The most annyoing I found him in WC3 and was a bit surprised to nd him so hostile. When I then read the WC3N I was glad how it depicted a picture of him that explained his ractions to you (Blair).

Yeah the game didn't make it clear that Maniac lost his job as the Wing Commander on the Victory. I figure in war time folks don't always think these things through. My wife and I dated for about 6 years (we met in college and were both in our early 20's) before we got engaged and that lasted a little over 1 1/2 years (21 Dec 96- 28 August 98.) We had the time, and considering my work at the time, it didn't make sense to get married, since I wasn't around for months at a time. Kind of like the military only people usually weren't shooting at me. :)

I have come up with a theory on Maniac's wives, which if someone came up with it already, I apologize in advance. Maybe the women served with him at some point (at least on the same ship, not necessarily pilots) heard about his flying style and figured he was bound to get killed and they would get the insurance.

My theory on Maniac's wives - he tried it on with every woman he could find, until one said yes. Pretty much his style:)

Back