Knife fight

Jacob

Rear Admiral
Sorry of this has already been discussed, but I just finished reading the novelization of the Wing Commander movie. The knife fight left me puzzled...just why exactly did it happen? The whole idea of the Pilgrim traitor thing wasn't confusing to me, just the whole knife fight.

Seeing the movie was bad enough but you went and read the novel based on the movie as well??!!?? Wow, you truely are more hardcore than me. I could barely make it through the movie without falling asleep. Not even the ships looked accurrate. I think the Wing Commander name and the character names were the only thing really closely related to the series. Even the Kilrathi looked wrong. Hobbes in WC3 looked more realistic than the Kilrathi in the movie. I suppose even Chris Roberts is allowed to have one bad mistake :)

Hopefully the novel was vastly superior to the movie.

The novel is pretty damned good - but the movie sequel book felt a bit watered down.

The knife fight was there because of the tension between Blair and Gerald - and Blair proved himself loyal by killing the actual traitor. It *was* filmed - but was removed because the test audience completely forgot everything that happened in the first 6 minutes of the movie and were really confused.

So...let me get this straight. Wilson provokes both of them to fight, and Gerald and Blair draw their blades. Gerald slashes Blair a couple of times, and then Blair knocks him to the ground. But instead of stabbing him like Gerald thinks Blair is about to do...Blair stabs Wilson, showing Gerald that he's not the Pilgrim traitor he was made out to be.

Do I have it correct?

Basicly. It was a resolution to the tension between characters (note how in the movie - Gerald stops giving Blair a hard time and the evil eye)

LeHah said:
It *was* filmed - but was removed because the test audience completely forgot everything that happened in the first 6 minutes of the movie and were really confused.

Hope we get to see that someday...

I'm pretty sure LOAF is working on that. It's only a matter of time, probably.

I was about to complain about the pilgrim concept, but thought better of it. I'm tired of this debate.

This is also one reason Paladin gives Blair his Pilgrim Cross before the jump mission. Blair left his imbedded in Wilson IIRC. The scene still worked okay even if Blair still had his cross, though.

C-ya

"Like bringing a knife to a gunfight"

Creating Something Out of Nothing, Only to Destroy It
-Norma Jean

Oh, man . . . it's time to go listen to that song now. You all should, too.

Norma Jean? Meh, plenty of better hardcore bands out there.

What bugged me about the knife fight was that the blade didn't seem that long or sturdy. Seemed like it would just pop off the medallion. And surely it didn't seem strong enough to penetrate the combat armor they were wearing. Oh, well.

Why does Blair leave his knife in Wilson? I would think that he wouldn't forget something that dear to him.

As I recall, as Wilson is stabbed, he arms a grenade, so Blair jumps out of the way as it blows up, but Wilson, and the knife, are destroyed. I could be wrong; I haven't read the book since my freshman year of high school.

Ironically, "Knife fight" seems to be present quite often on "Wing Commander Movie" threads, literally or metaphorically. :D

If Blair had pulled out his trusty dusty Buck 110 in WC 4, there could have been a knife fight.

Considering how Blair suddenly became imbued with the Force, ops, became a Pilgrim with special time-space powers and marine boarding training... He'd have killed Seether with a force choke, ops, pilgrim nasty stare.

Back