Kilrathi vs. Terran ship design...

Yes! You are correct, much like the original Eastman and Laird Ninja Turtles! "TURTLES DIE WITH HONOR!"

Originally posted by akashra
Originally posted by Preacher However, these minute particles & cosmic dust DO necessitate the use of "shields" in high speed space travel, which is why all sci-fi ships you see on TV or in games like WC, Starlancer, et al have 'em.

You believe everything you see on TV? :D

[/B]

D'you mean believe what I see on TV RE: shields on sci-fi ships, or believe RE: the physics of hi-speed space travel?..
As far as how shields seem universal on such ships, it is, of course, science FICTION, so it's all speculation.
But the fact is, these particles would, factually, be a problem to protect against in higher speed space travel than we've yet acheived. This problem has been addressed in several other venues than TV shows--specifically, within the space flight community, scientific journals, etc.

Yes, but like I said, if an alloy is inpenetrable by most small objects, then why would shields be required?
Objects are only penetrable by mor strongly bonded elements/molecules. (Hence why Diamond is so hard to destroy).
Now there's an idea... a ship completely constructed of Diamond.

(just so you know - the Alloy mentioned in 401 - Small Victories is: Naquada, Trinium, Carbon).

[Edited by akashra on 08-09-2001 at 04:54]

Yes, but like I said, if an alloy is inpenetrable by most small objects, then why would shields be required?
Objects are only penetrable by mor strongly bonded elements/molecules. (Hence why Diamond is so hard to destroy).

(just so you know - the Alloy mentioned in 401 - Small Victories is: Naquada, Trinium, Carbon).

Isn't Diamond very easy to crack though, in certain places. Ya know, it's hard but hitting it in the right place will splinter it?

And besides, you'd need ALOT of Diamond to make a ship out of.

a diamond is the hardest substance on the Mohs (sp) scale, that means that nothing but a diamond can scratch a diamond. but I diamond can break along it's planes of cleavage. It also can shatter

"Yes, but like I said, if an alloy is inpenetrable by most small objects, then why would shields be required?
Objects are only penetrable by mor strongly bonded elements/molecules"

a quick lesson on relativity.
lets say that you are body A and you are flying at 1kps towards a stationary object the size of a bullet (body b)

if body a hits body b at 1kps it would have the same effect as if it was body b hitting body a at 1kps. the greater the speed the greater the damage. the smallest dust particles will act like bullets. the faster you go the harder you hit things. if you were going infinite speed any object (ie a photon) would have infinite energy when it comes in contact with you.
really you can either slap tonnes of armor plating on the front or you can have shields. take your pick

Well....since we're in the science fiction realm anyway, how 'bout...ADAMANTIUM!! (Hehehehe)....Oh--and we could call the first such fighter the "Wolverine", and the first such Capship the "TCS Logan", huh?..huh?...:D

Napolean, Ladiesman, A perfectly bonded Diamond is virtually inpenetrable. However, such thing doesn't exactly exist (save for over a few atoms). I can't exactly give a whole year 11 chem lesson on a messageboard, but it'snot really the most complex science.

If a diamond, or ANY element for that matter, is bonded 'unpurely', then it will have more chance of shattering or breaking. Coal, for example, is carbon, but poorly bonded. And it would make very poor armour :p
It only breaks along the planes because that is where the bonds are weak. Without any 'bad' bonds, it would be somewhat inpenetrable, the only thing making it unsuitable as a form of armour is what happens once it's heated :)

Stormin, what causes objects to seperate is not force, it's energy. Of course when two objects collide, you get heat. Hence, eating away at armour when you fire the guns used in science fictions.

Diamond would be a nice armour - except that it has virtually no melting point - it virtually goes straight to a gas. One moment you would have nice, hard, solid, thick armour... the next moment you would be armoured by a lot of nothing.

And yes, sure you can have shields. But again, what if shields cannot be used under certain circumstances, as I explained.
The WC4 missions were a good example of this - Pliers had to end up beefing up everyones armour.
Anyhow. BACK to WC... :p

It only breaks along the planes because that is where the bonds are weak.

Diamond would be a nice armour - except that it has virtually no melting point - it virtually goes straight to a gas. One moment you would have nice, hard, solid, thick armour... the next moment you would be armoured by a lot of nothing.

Two thoughts occur to me:

1) Don't get me started about "cleavage" planes...

2) Ahh, I see it now: The "TCS Sublimation"...

That's also assuming Diamond is still the hardest thing we know of...I mean, in WC there's all sorts of planets and such. Who's to say we haven't found something harder than diamond.

Also, do we really know that Dura/Plastisteel isn't harder than Diamond?

Well, Diamond IS the hardest thing we *know* of :p
However I agree, it's certainly possible that there are many harder substances in existance.

We don't know wether Durasteel/Platasteel are harder because we don't know what it's made of. HOWEVER, we can GUESS that it's softer than Tungsten, and will not take as much heat, since Privateer puts Tungsten as the more expensive superior armour. Tungsten itself is a pure metal (used in light globes) which melts at what, 2200C ? Therefore for ship armour, where you're bombarding the ship with energy particles (guns), it's quite useful, as it takes a lot of energy to actually melt or damage it.

</tech>

/me laughs.

Ah, so the civillian craft would always go superheated like a giant lightglobe before blowing up, whereas the military craft wouldn't :D

im pretty sure that weapons fire will puncture the armor and destroy the fighter long before it absorbs enough energy to become superheated.

awww, that's no fun :p

Fine, if we can't do that, we'll just have to go out with a full loadout of Flashpaks instead :p

Im sorry, Ive just never seen a fighter glow before:)

Now flashpaks, that would do the trick. Course they're only useful on transports cause you couldnt hit a fighter with one. Well maybe if you're a REALLY REALLY good shot and have like forty paks to try with. It'd be like hitting a fighter with a torpedo.

So you have two options - modify one to have the YPR or a Pilum...
or have it operate like a Porcupine :)
No doubt you'd feel a bit stupid if you ran into your own flashpack though.

Back