Kilrathi vs. Terran ship design...

You would be nuts if you sent a dummy through every jumppoint you hit.
And wouldn't have the time if you were on the run.

And if you knew the enemy were going to have time to send through a dummy, you wouldn't do it - or you'd be waiting and destroy them first.

What I mean is that IF they knew they had to go through a minefield they would have to find a way to clear away the mines first, those mines would not be used and it would be a waste. And Im sure that happens all the time. So either way it wouldnt matter.

Though they would have to find some way other than just detonating them cause they dont explode.

Originally posted by AzraeL

I think the original idea was that you modify the flashpak to operate like a mine, i.e. float in space and wait for a target, as opposed to a torpedo/missile type weapon that needs to be fired at a target.

Yes, if you MODIFY it. Flashpacks, as they are designed by default, ARE *NOT* MINES, okay?...

Originally posted by akashra
AzraeL, I think Preacher is completely missing (or ignoring) the point :)

Preacher, must you always post two seperate posts after oneanother. Rather cheap way to get your posts count up, is all it seems to be. Makes for incredibly annoying reading too :/

You don't need to explain to me how a Flashpack is supposed to work. I'm well aware of it. Have you perhaps missed that we've been talking about modifying one anyway, not how they work in their current state.

Akashra-
I do all my reading & posting at one time--sorry, but I can't "space it" throughout the day like you apparently expect me to (Would it make you feel better if I logged on again an hour later, and got my second post in THEN?...). It has nothing to do with running my count up. I feel this is an unfair attack, inasmuch as there's a "90-second" limit between posts that's allowed here on this board. Are you implying that this limit is in place simply because of little ol' ME, or could it be that many others do the same thing?.... Sorry you find it so annoying--perhaps you should skip over my posts if it bothers you so much.

Yes, truthfully I did miss the point that was made where a "modified Flashpak" was interjected into the dialogue. It was too easy to miss, since it was introduced only obliquely.

OH--and Supdon3?.. Must you be so surly?... For what it's worth, my %&^$#@ing ISP has been acting squirrely lately, kicking me offline for no reason (other than its buggy software, that is). This causes me to easily lose track of where I was last, which posts I was reading or planning on responding to, who wrote them, exactly what the quotes were, etc. You try that experiment and see if it doesn't screw up YOUR ability to keep track of things. Nonetheless, I apologize for mixing up what you said, OK?

Akashra--
THERE! I have combined TWO responses to posts in ONE post of my own---feel better now?...

I apologize for being surly. Its just when someone keeps telling me I'm wrong about something that I'm not, it puts me on edge.

Originally posted by Supdon3
How is that different from how they would deal with ANY mine field?
Well... HELLOOOO!! Did you ever hear of a single mine who could blow up a capship?
Sending dummy ships through a mine field is just NOT worth it, the shields of a large capship would surely be able to hold until they went through...
A "flashpak field" on the other hand...

Then what would be the point of putting up minefields? You hit a ship with enough mines and you can take down even large capships.

Originally posted by Supdon3
Then what would be the point of putting up minefields? You hit a ship with enough mines and you can take down even large capships.

I agree. What would be the point of minefields if they couldn't destroy ships? Isn't that the whole point of minefields?

Originally posted by Ladiesman^

I agree. What would be the point of minefields if they couldn't destroy ships? Isn't that the whole point of minefields?
Maybe minefields at... sea, with no shields... :)

I think purposes of minefields in WC would be to damage capships... You'd need a very high amount of mines IMHO, to blow up a capship with mines...

minefields are supposed to make it dangerous to pass through an area or force you to spend lots of time clearing it. even the suspision of mines would make anyone have to slow down and be careful.

Originally posted by Ladiesman^

Well, in conventional warfare, one point of minefields (albeit a secondary one) seems to be "collateral damage"--kill as many infantry (or civilians) as you can. :(

It seems that, if nations wanted to be humanitarian (understanding that warfare is anything BUT), they could put an "expiration date" on mines. That is, program them so that after, say, 5 years, the mine would be rendered harmless. That would serve a nations' military purposes while at the same time, being "humanitarian" towards civilians in the area after the war is over. Ask Princesss Diana about that (wait--she's dead--never mind). I know it's a long shot, but does anyone know if a proposition such as this has ever made it to the table of defense planners or defense contractors anywhere?... :)

Originally posted by Preacher

Well, in conventional warfare, one point of minefields (albeit a secondary one) seems to be "collateral damage"--kill as many infantry (or civilians) as you can. :(

true.
It seems that, if nations wanted to be humanitarian (understanding that warfare is anything BUT), they could put an "expiration date" on mines. That is, program them so that after, say, 5 years, the mine would be rendered harmless. That would serve a nations' military purposes while at the same time, being "humanitarian" towards civilians in the area after the war is over. Ask Princesss Diana about that (wait--she's dead--never mind). I know it's a long shot, but does anyone know if a proposition such as this has ever made it to the table of defense planners or defense contractors anywhere?... :)

a device like that would just add to the complexity of the device and potentionaly reduce the ammount of explosives that can be used. and it would add to the cost.

Originally posted by $tormin
a device like that would just add to the complexity of the device and potentionaly reduce the ammount of explosives that can be used. and it would add to the cost.

No doubt. However, with the US's reputation as being a generally humanitarian nation, you'd think that an option like this would at least have been brought up at some point, even if it ultimately got scuttled. Anyone know if such has occurred?...

I know its not land warfare but several anti-shipping mines are designed to only have a limited life span and then sink to the bottom of the ocean so that they won't eventually slip out onto international shipping lanes in peace time or such. I don't know how common this is but i have heard of it nonetheless.
Also if mines on land were deactivated I am sure someone would go around collecting them and reset the timer or something and use them in there own little war. And it would probobly still take a long time to clear the mine fields out because face it maybe the timing device failed and some of the mines are still active

Originally posted by Raven0215
I know its not land warfare but several anti-shipping mines are designed to only have a limited life span and then sink to the bottom of the ocean so that they won't eventually slip out onto international shipping lanes in peace time or such. I don't know how common this is but i have heard of it nonetheless.

Also if mines on land were deactivated I am sure someone would go around collecting them and reset the timer or something and use them in there own little war. And it would probobly still take a long time to clear the mine fields out because face it maybe the timing device failed and some of the mines are still active

1) Thanx for the info :)

2) This part may be true, but how is that any MORE deadly of a situation than to have mines be "active" indefinitely?... In short, even THAT scenario would be far more desirable than the present status of things...

If mines are made inactive, it may be possible for anyone, pirates, enemies, whomever, to go out, pick them up, and reactivate them, where they might not have been able to get access to them before.
If they just explode when you get near them though, there isn't that problem.

Originally posted by akashra
If mines are made inactive, it may be possible for anyone, pirates, enemies, whomever, to go out, pick them up, and reactivate them, where they might not have been able to get access to them before.
If they just explode when you get near them though, there isn't that problem.

Yah, but then a lotta innocent civilians get killed years later, as I said earlier. All in all, inactivated mines would be the most morally right course to follow.

Back