Kilrathi vs. Terran ship design...

well if your going to go so far as to modify it to be a mine you may as well make it capable of reading IFF's so you dont have to worry about that.

LOL. there was a form of diamond substatute that I once saw that had something like 10 times the melting point of diamond and was something like a 9.9 on the mohs scale.

and no a diamond will always have "weak" links no matter what is done. that is just the way that carbon bonds with it's self. there is no way around it.

Uhh, 10 times the melting point? Okay, but this was some science fiction, made up element, no?

Diamonds do have weak links - but no, it is possible (though it just doesn't happen) to have perfectly formed ones without these weak/missing links. It's just that it's so improbable that, like I said, it doesn't happen for more than a few consecutive molecules.

Once someone develops a way to do this, we can forget about using glass for transparent walls :)

Originally posted by Ladiesman^
Who's to say we haven't found something harder than diamond?
There may very well be stuff harder than diamond... but would it be cost effective or mechanically efficient to use such substances?

Military grade stuff is never cheap though.
Usually 10-100x the cost (example - a standard 9ping D style plug used costs about 75 cents here - the military style round clip plug, its equivelant, costs us about $75 for when we have to make the data boxes).

Originally posted by Supdon3
im pretty sure that weapons fire will puncture the armor and destroy the fighter long before it absorbs enough energy to become superheated.

Yeah, but, dude?-- Ain't you forgettin' about the SHIELDS?...

No, the shields would completely prevent the weapons fire from touching the armor, thereby making it impossible for the armor to absorb ANY heat.

Originally posted by akashra
No doubt you'd feel a bit stupid if you ran into your own flashpack though.

You might feel stupid, but that'd be the extent of the damage. Remember, flashpaks are only "detonated" after they latch onto the ship; merely "running into" yer own flashpak would only cause an explosion of personal embarassment, and possibly trigger a torrent of expletives from the pilot.

Hmmm, now there's a nice idea. Mine a jump point with flashpacks. LOTS of pretty fireworks :)

That'd be a no-go, Ace, as it would do nothing but waste a lotta money. Your superiors would be up one side of you & down the other for wasting such expensive ordnance for nothing (see my previous post on flashpaks for a reminder).

you'd probebly won't have time to be embarassed.
you'll barely have time to scream as your ship burns out from the inside....

"oh shiAAAAHHHHH"

Im pretty sure the idea behind the flashpak mine is that when a ship came into contact with it, it would then latch on to the ship superheating its atmosphere and killing the crew. Instead of being fired at a target, it would wait for the target to run into it.

No, the shields would completely prevent the weapons fire from touching the armor, thereby making it impossible for the armor to absorb ANY heat.

And if you remember, the Flashpack operates by superheating the internal atmosphere. Where's the atmosphere in space around a ship?

Yes Supdon3, exactly what I was thinking with the mine :)

Preacher, why would it waste money. What's to say they're expensive to make, or more expensive than Porcupines or normal Missiles? Most pilots seem to use most of the missiles they're given each mission - so they can't exactly be expensive if they never get told off for doing such.

Im pretty sure the idea behind the flashpak mine is that when a ship came into contact with it, it would then latch on to the ship superheating its atmosphere and killing the crew. Instead of being fired at a target, it would wait for the target to run into it.

Wrong! Flackpaks are not mines..they are fired AT a ship and must engage the ship, latch on to the hull, and then do their dirty work. Hardly the description of any type of "mine" I've ever heard of.

And if you remember, the Flashpack operates by superheating the internal atmosphere. Where's the atmosphere in space around a ship?

Preacher, why would it waste money. What's to say they're expensive to make, or more expensive than Porcupines or normal Missiles? Most pilots seem to use most of the missiles they're given each mission - so they can't exactly be expensive if they never get told off for doing such.

1) There is no atmosphere "in space around a ship", yer right. However, you're missing the point: It is the (artificial) atmosphere WITHIN the ship that gets superheated (whether the hold of a transport, or the cockpit of a fighter), and then gives you a whole buncha crispy critters...

2) It would waste money merely by definition. Even the most basic missile costs a lotta money, in normal real people terms. Any time you throw a bunch of ordnance out into space, and get no "boom for your bucks", it's a waste of money.

Attempting to "mine" an area with flashpaks would be akin to MANUALLY throwing a magazine of bullets at an enemy. Sure, bullets are dangerous, but ONLY if they're used properly (fired out of a gun). Any other usage is a waste of good ammo.

Since a Flashpak is NOT a mine, you'd be totally wasting good ordnance... You might as well just jettison 'em all as soon as you launch from the Carrier: The net gain would be the same. Are ya trackin' with me here?....

Originally posted by Preacher

Attempting to "mine" an area with flashpaks would be akin to MANUALLY throwing a magazine of bullets at an enemy. Sure, bullets are dangerous, but ONLY if they're used properly (fired out of a gun). Any other usage is a waste of good ammo.

Since a Flashpak is NOT a mine, you'd be totally wasting good ordnance... You might as well just jettison 'em all as soon as you launch from the Carrier: The net gain would be the same. Are ya trackin' with me here?....

I think the original idea was that you modify the flashpak to operate like a mine, i.e. float in space and wait for a target, as opposed to a torpedo/missile type weapon that needs to be fired at a target.

There is no reason why a flashpak-mine (as opposed to a traditional flashpak) wouldn't work. It would just sit waiting, like a mine, until a valid target comes close, then .... boom. Whether it would be any more effective then a standard explosive mine is another matter. Since you need a lot of mines to cover a region of space, I suspect that something crude and cheap and highly explosive would be more economical.

AzraeL, I think Preacher is completely missing (or ignoring) the point :)

Preacher, must you always post two seperate posts after oneanother. Rather cheap way to get your posts count up, is all it seems to be. Makes for incredibly annoying reading too :/

You don't need to explain to me how a Flashpack is supposed to work. I'm well aware of it. Have you perhaps missed that we've been talking about modifying one anyway, not how they work in their current state.

Originally posted by Preacher

Wrong! Flackpaks are not mines..they are fired AT a ship and must engage the ship, latch on to the hull, and then do their dirty work. Hardly the description of any type of "mine" I've ever heard of.

He genius, if you actually bothered to read what you quoted me on, then you would know that i said INSTEAD of being fired at the target the modified flashpak, now a mine would latch on to its target when the ship ran into it.

Bad idea Supdon...

The enemy would just send empty obsolete 'sports in the flashpak mined area, to serve as cannon... ehm "flashpak" fodder... and then the way would be free...

And that would be wasting ammo, wouldn't it? :)

Back