Kilrathi vs. Terran ship design...

Originally posted by Preacher
Um, yeah, I think I made that point--in fact, for the record, there's NO friction in space (unless you're at the outer edge of a planets atmosphere)

YES THERE IS. There is a minute amount of friction in space, becuase space is not a vacume, it is filled with dust and hydrogen and helium particules. Sure there is very little but there still is matter in every square meter of galactic space.

Originally posted by OriginalPhoenix
Might as well give it up, Kris. As many times as this issue has been pointed out and corrected, it appears there are those who just don't get it.

Of course we don't get it, when we have NO idea which post he's referring to, since there's what, 20 in this thread.

Just call it SO. ;)

Why would one ever need to eject, anyway. There's a thing called "Restart Mission", y'know. :)

Yeh... thought I guess some people want to challenge themselves a bit more, in that if they die, they die... and they try to realistically save themselves where possible, and continue the script.

Hey, not many people do, but I'm sure there's some who do.

Originally posted by akashra
Originally posted by OriginalPhoenix
Might as well give it up, Kris. As many times as this issue has been pointed out and corrected, it appears there are those who just don't get it.

Of course we don't get it, when we have NO idea which post he's referring to, since there's what, 20 in this thread.
I thought it was quite clear. Since the post immediately before his made mention of "WCP:SO", he was correcting that to "Wing Commander Secret Ops", commonly abbreviated to WCSO. There is no such game as WCP:SO or Wing Commander Prophecy: Secret Ops.

...I guess some people want to challenge themselves a bit more, in that if they die, they die...
True, but when I go, it's usually very quickly. Most of the time I get the "Eject" warning, I can just pull off the mission by the skin of my teeth. :) At least in WC1/2. In WCP/SO, I get annoyed when they completely knock out my shield generator. :eek: "Help! I'm naked!"

Oh, right, now I see.

Nitpicking though, isn't it, we all know what's being referred to :)

Personally I will always think of SO being an addon to Prophecy (regardless what others thing). The way it was designed and released/bundled just made it that way. It wasn't like WC2 was to WC1, or WC4 was to WC3.

I think along the same lines, despite being a stand-alone game, I think of SO as an extension of Prophecy rather than a separate release in itself. Doesn't matter what we think, anyway.

We are in a bit of a WC drought, though. I may be a bit off, but isn't this how it goes?

1990 WC1
1991 WC2
1993 Priv
1994 Armada WC3
1995 WC4
1997 WCP
1998 SO
2001... and counting... where's the WC? :(

Originally posted by Napoleon
Originally posted by Preacher
Um, yeah, I think I made that point--in fact, for the record, there's NO friction in space (unless you're at the outer edge of a planets atmosphere)

YES THERE IS. There is a minute amount of friction in space, becuase space is not a vacume, it is filled with dust and hydrogen and helium particules. Sure there is very little but there still is matter in every square meter of galactic space.

VERY minute--What yer describing is not "friction" per se; not in the sense of aerodynamics, anyway. These minute particles you speak of do not create an "atmosphere" where there is none. Space IS a vacuum in the sense that there is no gaseous (or liquid) atmosphere there, thus "drag" is not a factor. SO, a Borg "Cube" could travel thru space as efficiently as a sleek cigar or spherical shape could.
However, these minute particles & cosmic dust DO necessitate the use of "shields" in high speed space travel, which is why all sci-fi ships you see on TV or in games like WC, Starlancer, et al have 'em.

You can use the shield to protect your ship from radiation,X-ray,Gamma ray and others things.

Originally posted by Preacher However, these minute particles & cosmic dust DO necessitate the use of "shields" in high speed space travel, which is why all sci-fi ships you see on TV or in games like WC, Starlancer, et al have 'em. [/B]

You believe everything you see on TV? :D

They have them in Stargate SG-1, but in Stargate shields must be lowered when in hyperspeed because of the power required to both travel at that speed, and power shields.
Of course, in SG-1 they have metal superalloys such as alloys of Naquada and Trinium.
There is nothing really as solid proof that X must be the truthful case, only theoretical.

Oh, right, now I see.

Nitpicking though, isn't it, we all know what's being referred to :)
Perhaps. But it was a lengthy discussion that was had a mere two weeks ago on these very boards.

Personally I will always think of SO being an addon to Prophecy (regardless what others thing). The way it was designed and released/bundled just made it that way. It wasn't like WC2 was to WC1, or WC4 was to WC3.
Actually, how it was designed and released is precisely why it is a stand-alone game. Another topic that's been beaten to death....

Yeh, hence why I kept my comments to a minimum. It's one of those topics that I really don't care to read through any more input.
Standalone, Addon, who cares, just play the danm thing.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
WC4 was '96.
Okay, but the point is, this is the longest we've had to wait for a new WC... and we're still waiting. But I'm patient... I guess. :)

Back