Just a note about the board...

Originally posted by Unforgiven
Somehow this reminds me of the way Commander Keen got angry when someone in I believe the CK4 story kept calling him Captain Keen. ;)
Eh eh... yeah, I remember that! :)

BTW Unforgiven, does your sig. come from Dragon Ball ?

Don't you just hate losing posts because the board tells you you should wait 90 seconds or used to many smilies?
I don't mind waiting or removing smilies or whatever, but I do mind retyping the whole post. Can't it just go back to this page, with your original text still in place and tell you to wait/correct it?
No, it can't. This is how the board was written, so there's very little that can be done about it that doesn't require a lot of things to be rewritten.

I've been doing some testing, and my browser (IE 6) doesn't clear the fields when I go back. I've made it so your post is displayed on the error page, so you can copy it from there before going back. That's all I can do.

Report other problems to chatzone@.

I had the first/last page problem too, but now the options appear to have vanished. Well, it's a little less confusing.

Originally posted by KrisV
The last page is the first page.

Besides, it has that nice biblical and mytical ring to it.
Lore of WCCIC Chat, Book 1, Chapter Three, Verse 7
or something like that.

I've gotten used to it and wouldn't even like to see it any other way anymore

For some odd reason, when I was using the Telstra proxy, if I got hit with the '90 seconds' error, it cleared my post - but when now using the optus@home proxy, It doens't clear it. Perhaps it's a proxy thing in some way.

Unforgiven, I too, don't care about the ranks... though having an avatar would not only be nice, but useful. The current ranking system is completely stupid - and only urges people to post double posts, short one line posts, etc.

Even if it were charactor based, it would be better.
But yeh, I agree that the idea of any ranking just promotes useless posting.

LeHah, no, not really trying to just push it up. There was a statement which did make sense, there.

Originally posted by mpanty

BTW Unforgiven, does your sig. come from Dragon Ball ?
Yeah it does! Specifically it comes from the FUNi English dub of Dragon Ball Z.
It's after Android 16 tries to kill Cell by self-destructing to save Gohan but fails and Cell kills 16. Cell then turns to the others and says "Anyone else want to be a martyr today?"

Sorry Kris, but it's too early in the moring and I still haven't drink my first coffe, but where's the SEARCH button in this renewed CZ ? Thank you.

(it's that a 1st Lieutenant rank I see?)

Originally posted by akashra
Unforgiven, I too, don't care about the ranks... though having an avatar would not only be nice, but useful. The current ranking system is completely stupid - and only urges people to post double posts, short one line posts, etc.
I think the post count requirement are sufficiently high for useless points to have little impact. If someone is boosting their count, we'll probably have noticed it long before they'd made Captain.

And it's the Wing Commander ranking system, so it has to be great.

If you want an example of what Avatars lead to, take a look at http://stgn.ugforums.com/cgi-bin/ik...=139&topic=64&start=0&rannum=714.134949214781 .

Specifically it comes from the FUNi English dub of Dragon Ball Z.
It's after Android 16 tries to kill Cell by self-destructing to save Gohan but fails and Cell kills 16. Cell then turns to the others and says "Anyone else want to be a martyr today?"
I thought I remembered that... :)

I have the complete Manga (comic) collection of the original series, from Sangoku's childhood to the final battle with Cell... :cool:

Again, I must say it, Akira Toriyama is a genius!!!

Kris, nothing really wrong with them - at least they're not 640*1200 avatars or something stupid. You could just simply force them to be 64x64.

Images in footers on the other hand, I agree, they suck.
I have no problems with the ranking system - keep it, that's cool - but I really think allowing people to pick an avatar, at any rank over Cadet, would be nice.

Some actually have a purpose. (For instance, I typically use my company logo, the 'Elemental' logo.)

See, there you go advertising already. <G>

Cadet, Lieutenant, Captain, Major... there's nothing that says more about your board experience than such a ranking system, and that's the whole purpose.

Also, if everyone had an avatar, they'd lose pretty much all of their value. Now having one actually means something.

Images in footers on the other hand, I agree, they suck.
They don't suck, it just gets very messy...

I have no problems with the ranking system - keep it, that's cool - but I really think allowing people to pick an avatar, at any rank over Cadet, would be nice.
I don't know how the admins feel about this, if it's bandwidth problems (though I don't think that a small .gif for an avatar would take so much space, even multiplied by the number of users) or the fact they wouldn't like too many people having their own avatar (in fear of turning the board into a mess perhaps)...

...but if you're suggesting this akashra, because you think people post just for the sake to increase their post count, in order to get an avatar, well rest reassured...
As long as Kris, LOAF, TC or Death are around, there will always be someone to put you back on the right track, one way or another... <g>

You need 2,000 posts to get an avatar. If you're raising your postcount you won't last that long, or you'll get busted down to Cadet once in a while.

Originally posted by mpanty

I thought I remembered that... :)

I have the complete Manga (comic) collection of the original series, from Sangoku's childhood to the final battle with Cell... :cool:

Again, I must say it, Akira Toriyama is a genius!!!
I have seen Dragonball Z FUNi dub eps 1 through 204 (which is somewhere in the middle of the Majin Buu saga, and which isn't the same as the Japanese 204, because of all the cutting in the English version).
But because the Dutch Cartoon Network will go behind a decoder, and even then it's not sure they will keep broadcasting DBZ, I decided to buy the manga. The new uncensored English DragonBall TPB Manga's by Viz to be exact. The first ones are in the mail now, so I'm waiting.
It's gonna be tough though, they may be English, but they are right-to-left reading!
And you're right, he is a genius. Just like Chris Roberts, really... :D

mpanty, but how do you really distinguish between what is blantantly just a post for increasing your count, and what is slightly useful, or borderline. Bah, anyway :)

Kris, yes :) Advertising, if you want to call it that. Nah, not really. Just saying "here's where I come from, this is the work I do...". Im sure you get the idea.

Especially on this board, I would have thought them given out a bit more actually - notably for people in charge of fan projects, with a project logo.

mpanty, but how do you really distinguish between what is blantantly just a post for increasing your count, and what is slightly useful, or borderline. Bah, anyway :)
We take a look at your posts and use them as an example...
Just kidding! ;)

But don't worry too much, and let the admins and moderators do their job.

I love Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z....But Dragon Ball GT looks some childish and noisy, i don´t like it so much like Z

Hey Hey, I'm not the only one we can say that about, mpanty :D
Okay, I'm not gonna start pointing fingers :)

Ghost, last I checked all DragonBall/Pokemon like cartoons were intended for audiences aged around, pft... 11.

Pokemon is for those ages, DragonBall is not. The sheer amount of graphic violence proves that.
The US version of DragonBall Z has so much cut out of it it has like 30 episodes less than the Japanese version...
The Anime had little to no involvement by Toriyama himself. DragonBall was the anime version of the first few DragonBall mangas. DragonBall Z is the anime version of the last DragonBall mangas (note there's a lot of manga between the point where the DragonBall anime ends and the DragonBall Z anime starts).
DragonBall GT was not based on any story created by Toriyama. The creators of the anime made that themselves.

Back